Anyone make these parts

NYSW F45

Im planning on doing this model in the near future, so i've been piecing things together to find the correct parts. Besides the shells im going to need to kitbash it, the nose with the correct marker lights is a must. Does cannon's nose kit come with marker lights in the pic below? Also does anyone make an exhaust like the one in the pic?

Yes on the marker lights. No on the exhaust. I think you could use the exhaust from an Athearn GP50 shell with a styrene frame built around it.

The exhaust looks like the ones that EMD put on the SD50 and 60 series. As for the HEP exhaust, you can use the one from the Atlas Trainman genset.

It looks a lot like an MBTA GP40MC. Your best bet is to start with a GP40X radiator section and kitbash the rear section where the HEP fan is onto the back of it. You'll also need a longer frame since the loco was stretched to add the HEP generator.

Ok good on the marker lights. The hep section of the long hood i've got ideas in my head. Shells i'de be using will probably be GP40X for the single DB fan and 3 radiator fans, additional gp40x or sd45 shell for addition fan for hep but also to keep that angled rear hood end, tunnel motor shell for the rear porch and steps and supposedly an athearn sd40 frame is ideal for overall length.

I might try and get the nose, cab and sub base stuff first. Then slowly source the shells, I have a DRGW SD45, just wish the frame was the proper length.

The nose, cab, and sub base all looks like standard EMD equipment. Cannon parts will work.

I don't know what the length of those units is, but the MBTA's GP40MCs are the same length as one of the GE locos (I'd like to say C30-7, but I honestly can't remember which one it was) Also, you'd have to fix the wheelbase because of the stretch job.

The nose, cab, and sub base all looks like standard EMD equipment. Cannon parts will work.

I don't know what the length of those units is, but the MBTA's GP40MCs are the same length as one of the GE locos (I'd like to say C30-7, but I honestly can't remember which one it was) Also, you'd have to fix the wheelbase because of the stretch job.

Several modelers im friends with who are or engineer's for NJT and Amtrak have said that the SD40 frame, not SD40-2 from athearn will work without much work. So the shell is really the only thing that will be cut and pieced together.

Im going email these people and get teh measurements.

I'd use an RTR SD40 frame and not a BB SD40 frame if I were you. The BB frames have the fuel tank cast on. You may have to move and/or resize it.

I used the Cannon Marker light sets from a Cannon Nose kit to do an Alaska GP38 a while back. This is what they look like.

DSC09241-L.jpg

DSC09249-L.jpg

DSC09246-L.jpg

Diburning, i plan on using rtr for sure. I'll probably start posting on theyahoo boards looking to piece everything together. I'll most likely still have to mill or have someone mill the metal that is under the plastic rtr fuel tank as its alot shorter.

Mark, looks good as always!

Back