anyone got's one of these?

That's an '84 Olympic paint scheme, not a Bicenntenial. I have custom painted many of them before they were ever available ready-to-run.

Okay, quick question about the SD40-2. The difference between it and the SD40 is the extra set of wheels? At first I thought the engine was an SD45, but the roof didn't have the wings for the turbines.

Okay, quick question about the SD40-2. The difference between it and the SD40 is the extra set of wheels? At first I thought the engine was an SD45, but the roof didn't have the wings for the turbines.

no, the -2 means it has newer (-2) electronics (on the real ones). All SD units have 6 axles (12 wheels). The "wings" you mention on the S45 are radiators.

What engine looks like the SD40 but only has four axles? The DME railroad used four axle engines and they looked just like SD40's (which someone told me that is what they were. I had no idea so I thought they were only four axle and the SD45's were the six axle. Pardon my ignorance.

Edit: found an image. GP class?
610x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The key giveaway for the SD40-2 is the large deck in front of the cab and hood. It's like they took a 4 axle engine and stretched the base to make it a six axle. wait I think they actually did that.

The SD40 and SD40-2 are basically the same unit. They both have 6 axles. There is also an SD40 "snoot" nose and short nose. The long platform on the front of the SD40-2 just means it has short nose, the "snoot" nose had a short platform as the nose was longer for all the extra radio equipment stored up there.

To answer the question asked, I don't think there has ever been a production model made of those BNSF SD40-2B's. All the ones I've seen have been kitbashes.

Back