Antique Railroad Locomotive Bell

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

weppler1978

Hello
I recently listed an antique railroad bell, very large brass or bronze one on eBay for sale. I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me specifically what train it would have been on or if there is a way for me to tell? I have had a few requests asking this and am not sure how to tell or offer more info. Any help is appreciated very much guys.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140882762572

Thanks!
Traci
Chesleys of Florida
www.chesleysofflorida.com

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Being an old codger I can't recall a locomotive bell being that large, maybe 1/2 that size at most and certainly not over 100 lbs. Ship's bell probably, but then again the ship's name would be on the bell. Just an opinion
Cheers
Willis

DJtrains

I think it's more likely a bell from a firehouse or school.
I agree. Even if it were the right size the only way to know it actually was (is) a R.R. item would be official (or in some way undeniable) documentation.

Without a recorded provenance or some identifying marks it's impossible to know the facts.

Mike_R

In my experience, a ship's bell is mounted to a vertical surface in a fixed position. The clapper had an eye cast on the bottom to attach a rope lanyard and the lanyard was pulled sideways to ring the bell.

Also the clapper appears to be made of a ferrous metal, something I have never seen on a ship's bell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.