Antique Railroad Locomotive Bell

weppler1978

Hello
I recently listed an antique railroad bell, very large brass or bronze one on eBay for sale. I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me specifically what train it would have been on or if there is a way for me to tell? I have had a few requests asking this and am not sure how to tell or offer more info. Any help is appreciated very much guys.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140882762572

Thanks!
Traci
Chesleys of Florida
www.chesleysofflorida.com

Being an old codger I can't recall a locomotive bell being that large, maybe 1/2 that size at most and certainly not over 100 lbs. Ship's bell probably, but then again the ship's name would be on the bell. Just an opinion
Cheers
Willis

I think it's more likely a bell from a firehouse or school.

I agree. Even if it were the right size the only way to know it actually was (is) a R.R. item would be official (or in some way undeniable) documentation.

Without a recorded provenance or some identifying marks it's impossible to know the facts.

In my experience, a ship's bell is mounted to a vertical surface in a fixed position. The clapper had an eye cast on the bottom to attach a rope lanyard and the lanyard was pulled sideways to ring the bell.

Also the clapper appears to be made of a ferrous metal, something I have never seen on a ship's bell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back