AMTRAK Heritiage units samples are out

Here are the samples getting fueled up and getting ready to depart

fuel for heritage by LATXHO, on Flickr

I already order me a full train set get your orders in.
Its Always best to wait for Perfection

I dont mean to come off snotty, but it doesnt do much good to tell people to get their reservations in, and not provide a link to where to buy.

For those who may be interested, these are Athearn locomotives produced and distributed through Walthers exclusivley for the Amtrak store.

http://store.amtrak.com/ProductList.aspx?did=14686

Also, as a side note, I would love to order one of these, but i will not. Why? Because, they are available exclusively through the Amtrak store, meaning youll pay full price, my dealer will get nothing, and who knows what happens if a return needs to be made.

LATX, i dont mean to come off hostile, I cant wait to see your fleet of Amtrak Heritage units. Im simply voicing my opinion about these great looking locomotives, and trying to do it in a way that doesnt make me look like a total d*ck. Look forward to seeing your units, hope to see lots of pictures.

Yep, price will be MSRP and who knows where you can get a return?

Also not to mention that the F40PH is a standard Walthers Trainline F40PH with DECALS for the anniversary lettering (meaning that they jacked up the price while not completing the product!)

The P42s are the same Athearn RTR engines with the quality control problems, low couplers, and lack of ditch lights (come on Athearn, you put ditch light bulbs in the F59PHI. Why not the P42? The lenses are there!) (Not to mention that the P42s have shoddy quality control)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got all excited about these Heritage units, But since Microscale is doing the decals now I know I have more time!

I see where every one is coming from me. I personally is buying them cause to me its like buying a union pacific unit from walthers.com or any manufacter website. At least Amtrak will be seeing some type of income for them hopefully. And if they do get a percentage IMHO they better use it to keep the heritage units running like UP is Suppose to once again IMHO

Considering how they aren't making 145 (Phase 3 P42) or the Phase IV P42, the microscale decals will sell VERY well.

But you can make both of those units out of other Microsacle sets very easily. I have already done the 184 and am slowly working on the 145.

Considering how they aren't making 145 (Phase 3 P42) or the Phase IV P42, the microscale decals will sell VERY well.
That's Sad, I think Amtrak is missing out there.

I'll still consider buying the Phase I and Phase II units, I've got WAY to many projects on my hands to be picking up MORE.:D:rolleyes:

Well, I pulled a first for me...I actually paid for something MRSP in this hobby. :eek:

I bought one of the Amtrak.com releases of the Phase IVb baggage cars, the Walthers 932-6404. Here was my rationale though...Ive been looking for one for over 2 years now. I have seen zero available on any of the used ho discount sites (here, hoyardsale, hoswapshop, etc) and when they show up on Evilbay, they go for about 33% more than I paid for buying this thing. So I bit on it as it'll be brand new and just what I want. Shame on me. ;)

Now, for the real kicker. This is almost too funny. After paying MRSP for it, what comes off the UPS truck? Yep, you guessed it--the wrong car. :( They sent me a Phase III car. My receipt clearly shows I ordered a Phase IVB car. One call to the 3rd party vendor, Staples, and supposedly I have a replacement coming right away with a prepaid receipt for return shipping for the wrongly ordered car.

That'll teach me.

Has anyone else ordered any of these heritage units and received them?

Any particular department or person you contacted at staples? I think its funny, cuz my wife works for Staples coorporate here in NJ. lol im now pushing her to find out who deals with this.

Steve,

It's some promotional arm of staples. I had to call during central time business hours. I think the shipments came from Indiana.

No, they come from Staples Mill in Richmond, VA.... Just Kidding although there is an Amtrak station there.

I live near the first Staples store ever opened :D And even then, the employees at this one are clueless.

Got the correct Phase IVB Baggage Car today from Staples, uh, I mean Amtrak. LOL.

They got the correct car this time. Looks nice, and runs well, as it should. Even runs fine around my one 20" curve. The rest are 22" and above.

Back