Alabama Rail Gang (ARG) Meet: Dec 6

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
It's that time of the year again for another ARG meet at my Depot on December 6, 10-4 PM'ish .Because of the near holiday season, this date has to remain set (Two or a dozen, the trains will roll.). All ARG'ers are welcome and if you plan on bringing a guest, please let me know ahead of time. More details will be provided as we go along.

We will again have loads of fun with train operations and lots of lies and laughter. Operations will still and always be for fun and no rivit counting allowed. WARNING: If you make a mistake, you will be laughed at:D.

I would be grateful if you fellows in the B'ham area spread the word to those that are not on this forum.

:)Your quickest reply will be appreciated.:)

December 6 looks good for me. I expect I'll be laughed at more than once. :) Do you want us to bring any equipment like locomotives or rolling stock and, if so, what are the standards you'd like to see. Let me know the directions to your depot by e-mail.

Rex- I'll put the date on my calender!
If you have more than 21 rivits on your cars, I will not be able to count them.:D Good thing I have all my fingers and toes, and another appendage!

The Wrecking Crew's layout will be on display at McWane Science Center in Birmingham from Nov. 8th until Jan. 11th, so I'll have to schedule a Sunday afternoon shift for that weekend. I'll post more info later about the layouts and displays at McWane for the Holiday season.
McWane had a nice color slick brochure in last Sunday's newspaper about their schedule for the rest of the year. About 1/3 was on train activities for members and children's interest.
Mikey

Great Jim, Mikey!
I forgot to add in the invite that lunch will be provided. The wife is working that day, so it will probably be a "make your own deli sandwich" type of thing with desert/drinks.

If any of you wish to bring your favorite (DCC only) Locomotive(s), please do. I should have plenty, but you may want yours to strut around;).

Please, no rolling stock except for show. The train manifests are automatically produced by RailOp software using pre-entered data on type, size, roadname, and locations of all the cars on the layout. So, its easier to use the ones already on the layout.

Two or three extra cabooses may be needed.

Please bring your throttle if you have one.

Those of you that have cheapy 2-way radios, please bring them. I have five available for those that do not. Communication between the Engineer, Dispatcher, and yardmasters is via radio on two separate channels. Everyone seemed to enjoy this method the last time, so we will go with it again.

I will be glad to send all of you my address for MapQuest directions and will also give you my telephone numbers. MapQuest is (unbelievably) accurate as KenL found out, but I will add a few landmarks. Please call or write me if you have questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Mikey, I never heard of the McWane Science Center. Sounds like something I need to check out.

Rex, got your e-mail, thanks. I'm hoping to have my GPS back running by then (plug broke and I'm waiting for a new one to get shipped) so I should be able to figure out how to get to your place. If you're planning on running any passenger trains, I can bring up my BLI SOU E-7's. I've got six of those FRS/GMRS radios so you should have plenty of those.

Mikey just reminded me that I failed to mention:
Please bring your throttle. I have one spare.

Jim, you are more than welcome to bring the E7's for a good run. However, I would like you to run some freights with a manifest; that will be up to you though.
Great news on the Radios; we can probably use several. Depends on how many trains/engineers we get running plus two yardmasters.

Thanks Mark and we may be able to figure something out. Maybe Jim can procure someones corp. jet and just zip up there and pick you up. :D

Important notice

Hello ARG'ers!
I have just realized that the SEC Championship Football game begins at 3PM our time. Many of you would like to watch the game, but have a long drive and will miss most of it going home if you come to the meet.

I would like to present to you an alternative date, the following Saturday of December 13, same time, same place. I have no problem with changing the date to accomodate the majority. Yeah, I would like to see the game also, but I don't have to drive anywhere.;):D

Thank you.
Please post your preference as:

1. Can't make the change
2. Prefer the change
3. Doesn't matter.
4. I ain'ta commin no how
:p

Rex, I think the state high school championship game is also the 6th. Since Prattville is unbeaten and stands a good chance of getting in the championship game, I would need to go to Legion field to keep peace in the family. If the SEC championship is going on at the same time, I'm sure they'll have it on the jumbotron as well. Given these conflicts, the 13th would be a safer date for me. :)

Morning all. December 13th,sounds better for me as well. Due in part,that the week-end of the thirteenth is a payday week-end,and it would give me money for the fuel. Also I have a pair of new cabooses that really awsome. In addition,I also have a Western Railway of Alabama GP-40-2 from atlas/w sound that's rather cool:cool:. So please let know what day y'all going do with so I can plan accordingly. William.

Rex- I am committed to a family reunion on the afternoon of the 13th.

If I could get the boss' permission, I would have to make it an abbreviated visit. On second thought, that might be all you could stand of me!:eek:

If I cannot make it, I know where you live now and will PM you for a visit some other time.
Mikey

Date change

NEW DATE for ARG MEET:

HOLIDAY ARG MEET!
December 13

Thanks fellows for your input. From what is posted and from those I have personally talked to, Dec. 13 seems to be the best date for most and so it will be. The time and place is the same, 10-4pm'ish. More details will be posted as we get closer to the date. Please pass this info on to those not on the forum.

Mikey, be glad to have you anytime, but do hope you can make it even if for a hello.

Short of a Yankee snow, this date is written in stone (last chance before the new year).:D

HOLIDAY ARG MEET!

December 13
10 AM until 4 PM.

Greetings ARG'ers! One week from today, we will meet again for some fun and run times.

Lunch will be provided: Baked ham, potato salad, baked beans, desert, drinks.​

The Agenda:
10 - 11 AM.....arrival howdys and layout familiarization. (BS is allowed.)
11 - 12:30 ....assemble trains and begin Op Session:eek:
12:30 ~1:15....Lunch
1:15 - 4:ish.....Op Session.

Please bring:
Throttle w/battery (I have two extra)
2-way radio (walkie-talkie) if you have one. I have 5 spares.
Favorite loco, if desired (I have plenty)
Please, no rolling stock except for "show and tell".

When you approach the house (you will see my gray F-150 at carport end), turn right in front of the house on 22nd Street. Go to end of house and turn left into one of the two driveways. You will be in front of the BC&W Depot (you will see camper). Park in drives or the yard if needed.

Walk through chain link gate by camper and through the wooden gate. PLEASE make sure you shut and latch back the wooden gate. (don't want the bears out roaming the streets:D)

RULES: No rules.

NOTES:
Need volunteer to show Jim which is the front end of a Southern Locomotive.
Please, no Auburn jokes (Mikey has suffered enough:p) Amended: Quiet snickering is permitted.

Please let me know or confirm by email or PM if you will be able to attend. This is important for me to be able to setup trains, food, chairs, etc. Also, pass the word to those not on forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it would be a great time.. Too Far for me to drive, I do look forward to some pictures and some video thou..

Back