Aaaaruuuuuuugh!...I have to start over.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
After a month of getting my layout plan just so, making all the hard compromises, going through 12 complete revisions, negotiating staging rights above my wife's washer and dryer, and buying the key models, it won't work. Period.

The Rock Ridge module is 54" wide not 48" wide.

I was looking at it this morning and it just didn't look right so I measured it.

It makes the access impossible, I can't make the turns.

I have to start over and figure it out all-over again once more for a second time.

Oh, well.

Ooops.

I had to make this for someone else so here are the problems.

1. The access space would be reduced to 8" --not useable.

2. The actual location of the track makes it so a curve radius of less than 18" would be required to connect to Train City.

rockridge11d.gif

Heck Chip, that's more than a pain in the butt, your not the first and you won't be the last to do this. Over here they built a house 18" to close to a boundry but they only found out at completion,,, and the bad bit, it had to come down and be re built in the correct location, that WAS a pain in the butt.

Chip;

You drew this in Xtrkcad didn't you??? If yes, is there any chance you can post the original plan as a *.zip file, (I know the forum won't let ya post an original *.xtc), for those of us who have the program to try ta help??:confused::confused:

Could you swap the track (with the curved trestle) with the other end of the Rock ridge module. Or modify the module and shorten it up alittle?

Ken.

Could you swap the track (with the curved trestle) with the other end of the Rock ridge module. Or modify the module and shorten it up alittle?

Ken.

Not quite.

Since I was about to yank up all the EZ-track track anyway, I took a good hard look at what track really had to stay. What is left is what needs to be there. The curved track goes through the canyon and past the station. The short track in the middle is the mine tipple.

But perhaps more difficult is that certain scenes are visible only from certain places. The red arrows denote where visibility is needed. The top arrow is the back of the town, the red rock canyon, and the cemetery scene. The middle arrow is the train station. And the bottom arrow is the feature attraction and operational interest, the Rock Ridge Silver Mine. I might be able to move the station, but the road goes there and it would not be easy to make it look right.

rockridge11e.gif

Chip on the plan,,could you turn the rock ridge module clockwise 90 degree's and move it further left which would give the curves plenty of room

Chip;

You drew this in Xtrkcad didn't you??? If yes, is there any chance you can post the original plan as a *.zip file, (I know the forum won't let ya post an original *.xtc), for those of us who have the program to try ta help??:confused::confused:

Thanks. [tear-eyed mode]You don't know how much I appreciate the offer. [/tear-eyed mode]

Let me do some playing first this weekend. With the concept that I can actually do some cutting on the module, and re-route tracking--that extra loop around Tater Mountain was a remnant of when it used to circle Hogwart's Castle--I might be able to get better out of the whole area. Maybe put a couple extra tracks to the mine and make it a bigger operation.

Chip on the plan,,could you turn the rock ridge module clockwise 90 degree's and move it further left which would give the curves plenty of room

I'm thinking with the elimination of track I might rotate it counter-clockwise. I would need a mine access.

There is another problem, that is going on. The side that has the 48" mark on it. (under the middle red arrow on the plan above) was to be the entertainment center. Rotating it, messes with that plan.

I would have tried to bring the track in from the canyon all the way across the back to the siding on the other side. I think that's what someone else was suggesting.

I would have tried to bring the track in from the canyon all the way across the back to the siding on the other side. I think that's what someone else was suggesting.

Thanks Jeff,

I guess that drawing didn't pick up the dotted tunnel line that connects the backside of Rock Ridge to the yard at Train City. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the bigger problem is the shrinking of the "aisle" from 14" to 8." 14" isn't an aisle, it's a slot. 8" is an even narrower slot, worthy of just being scenicked.

Wow Chip that bites! It's incredible how some of these sections 'grow' when we're not looking (been there done that)...

It sounds like you're faced with sacrificing a station in that 6" sliver of lost real estate. Can you at least keep the switching-oriented elements? Maybe you scratchbuild a station building that fits the revised terrain.

Back