A beginner's layout

You can click on the top picture to make it bigger. I wonder if this is the forum or me...
GOT IT.

Scree
is a collection of broken rock fragments at the base of a cliff or other steep rocky mass that has accumulated through periodic rockfall. Landforms associated with these materials are often called talus deposits. :D :D:D

I bought some WS Deadfall a long time ago. I'm playing with it in this scene. If I glue the pieces together right I think it will look like a dead tree

Screenshot (333).png

I started the wall today! I thought I bought two pieces with 1/2" squares but one (in the wrong place) has 3/8" squares. When finished it I will paint it to hopefully look like a concrete wall (it's not glued to the 1x5 yet). I also want to put some kind of railing on top of it.

Screenshot (339).png

I'm gonna do the same kind of thing to the wall inside the tunnel which hides the two staging tracks behind it.

Screenshot (340).png

The piece with 3/8" squares I bought by accident looks like it might work for a sidewalk!

Screenshot (341).png

Thanks but I promise you it's no where close to finished 😂. Do you have a build thread? If so can you point me to it?
I'm just resurrecting my dad's basic 4 x 8 DC layout from the 1980's, and fine tuning everything as far as wiring, trackwork, upgrading metal wheels and kadee's, as well as adding to my fleet, which originally consisted of maybe 12 units in total (6 of which were toy-grade LifeLike and ModelPower). My intention is to use this time to as a crash course in perfecting the basics before building a whole new layout on his original board and switching over to DCC. I've already purchased a DCC Rapido loco (still in the box) as an incentive to keep things moving along. Amazing how many small details are involved in this hobby. :)

I'm just resurrecting my dad's basic 4 x 8 DC layout from the 1980's, and fine tuning everything as far as wiring, trackwork, upgrading metal wheels and kadee's, as well as adding to my fleet, which originally consisted of maybe 12 units in total (6 of which were toy-grade LifeLike and ModelPower). My intention is to use this time to as a crash course in perfecting the basics before building a whole new layout on his original board and switching over to DCC. I've already purchased a DCC Rapido loco (still in the box) as an incentive to keep things moving along. Amazing how many small details are involved in this hobby. :)
Oh yes. I'm following this build and love it! Just didn't recognize the name...I'm getting old you know 😀.

I'm wondering how to deal with the tunnel portal. The wall is perpendicular to the edge of the layout and the radius is 24". Would an ho scale double track portal work well or would it be too big, too small? Thanks!

LHS had to order more styrene before I can continue on the wall so I messed around with the serendipitously acquired sidewalk stock.

Nothing's glued yet but I find if I make strips out of the cut offs and put them beneath the sidewalk it builds it up to just about the height of the base for the buildings! It's all coming up Paul!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot (344).png
Screenshot (343).png

Now....what to do about the street :eek:

Back