A beginner's layout

1.you can make permanent homes for buildings setting them into the landscape avoiding floating

2. Small drives

3. A small file

4. Rock faces

5. And mistakes happen I once over cut, so filled in the extra with ‘water’, which I liked so much I repeated several times

6 the kerbs were just sanded away

7,8,9 I cut cobbles and rather than built up to the kerb I cut down to the lower lever, panning a camera up and down for best angles help hide the real slope

Attachments

• IMG_2555.jpeg
    IMG_2555.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5205.jpeg
    IMG_5205.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8709.jpeg
    IMG_8709.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8493.jpeg
    IMG_8493.jpeg
    570 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9346.jpeg
    IMG_9346.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4269.jpeg
    IMG_4269.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0850.jpeg
    IMG_0850.jpeg
    560.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0953.jpeg
    IMG_0953.jpeg
    494.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0856.jpeg
    IMG_0856.jpeg
    576.1 KB · Views: 16
@Jaz avalley, that is impressive looking. Hard to believe it's foam. Do you have any tutorials?
Um I can go through steps on most of these which one would you like me to expand on (first)

tips
1 IF adding ‘water’ put the first layer in first and allow to dry completely this stops seepage into the foam if you put to much at first

2. When you have done what is delicate and might need protection from wear and tear add a layer or two of PVA to strengthen it

Um I can go through steps on most of these which one would you like me to expand on (first)

tips
1 IF adding ‘water’ put the first layer in first and allow to dry completely this stops seepage into the foam if you put to much at first

2. When you have done what is delicate and might need protection from wear and tear add a layer or two of PVA to strengthen it

tips

I don't know maybe a stone wall or tunnel portal? Whatever you want. Pictures or better yet videos would be great. That should probably be in it's own thread but I'd definitely check it out!

in general I prefer insulation foam kingspan etc I originally had offcuts from the insulating of the loft and being tight thought how could I use, but the dust is fine and it closed area consider a face mask to reduce breathing it in, if possible open loft windows, and avoid blow torches as it can catch fire (yes I did and so did it!, I was trying to melt it, it worked - after a fashion -but far too risky!)

I have used the powdery dust as snow BUT it yellows over time about 6 months I have velux windows so light may be a factor
1,2,3 careful hoovering after a light brush with a large soft makeup brush recovered the area.

4 packing foam can be used not as malleable, I draped plastercast over it BUT the holes are hard to fill, rubbing the plaster along helps but is time consuming, this picture shows the draping but the holes close up and the foam was not so sculpted at that earlier stage just broken into pieces, it can work but for me the insulation is a better material

Attachments

• IMG_8963.jpeg
    IMG_8963.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8953.jpeg
    IMG_8953.jpeg
    459.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8958.jpeg
    IMG_8958.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8515.jpeg
    IMG_8515.jpeg
    605.4 KB · Views: 15
I don't know maybe a stone wall or tunnel portal? Whatever you want. Pictures or better yet videos would be great. That should probably be in it's own thread but I'd definitely check it out!
I do not tend to do videos, I’ll go on my home thread and pop the link, I’ll check if I did it before too lol, let me look into it tomorrow I am off to watch tv

use the link under my name go to page 18, and I have started, feel free to ask for clarification or expansion

Last edited:
This month marks 4 years since I began building this. I am moving at a glacial pace :D. I've been moving backwards recently trying to fix some problems and also decided to re-do the bridge scene.

Still plenty of work to do but here are some pics of the work as I did it today. I have no idea what I'm doing but saw this on YouTube...just very
watered down paints.

Screenshot (324).pngScreenshot (325).pngScreenshot (326).pngScreenshot (327).pngScreenshot (328).png

This month marks 4 years since I began building this. I am moving at a glacial pace :D. I've been moving backwards recently trying to fix some problems and also decided to re-do the bridge scene.

Still plenty of work to do but here are some pics of the work as I did it today. I have no idea what I'm doing but saw this on YouTube...just very
watered down paints.

View attachment 185466View attachment 185467View attachment 185468View attachment 185469View attachment 185470
May only be watered down paint, but is visually very effective, that's actually really well done.

May only be watered down paint, but is visually very effective, that's actually really well done.
Thanks, Chris. I like it better so far than my first go at it. Hopefully it will look better as I go. Tomorrow I plan to do some outcroppings, ground cover and talus.

Thanks, Chris. I like it better so far than my first go at it. Hopefully it will look better as I go. Tomorrow I plan to do some outcroppings, ground cover and talus.
OK, I give up Paul, what the flipping 'eck is talus ?
According to Google talus is a bone that makes up the lower part of your ankle.

watered down paints.

View attachment 185466View attachment 185467View attachment 185468View attachment 185469View attachment 185470
Looking really good beautiful bridge scene!

Looks very natural. I like it!

Some more work today on my bridge scene. I'm much happier with it than my first attempt. More work to be done but I'm getting closer to pouring water! (Chris, can you spot the talus? 😂)

Screenshot (329).pngScreenshot (330).pngScreenshot (331).pngScreenshot (332).png

Thats looking really good!
Thanks, Mike. I'm all about operations and scenery is something other than blue foam to look at....I'm surprised how much I enjoy trying it. I've got a long way to go but I think my eye is improving 🥳
Honestly no, it's not helping as I can no longer get a full-screen foto, I'm losing about a 1/3rd of my screen to the other fotos in the set that are appearing at the bottom, which is new.
Oh no. What has Bob done? 🤣

Back