A beginner's layout

Things were going pretty fast the first several months (for me anyway) but things have slowed lately.

Yup... That happens. :cool:

As for the auto reversers, I have an AR1 operating on my turn table. It's been pretty trouble free. I'm not saying they're the best, but they're pretty much a standard others are measured against.
Here is a video I came across a few years ago that does a good comparison:

Thanks. I found that video too. That test shows Psx is most reliable. However, I don't know if it works as well on NCE or if that would even make a difference. I'll continue to do my homework but I guess I'll have to get one eventually and see how it goes.

Is there anything to the idea that I should use the NCE AR because I use the NCE system? I can't find any reviews of the NCE reverser online.

I'm still eager to hear suggestions about my first auto reverser (post #17) but for now back to doing a little work on the layout.
Just a little done on C.A. Foods. I glued a couple of doors in the open position so one day I can add an interior scene.

2010-01-01 00.01.01.jpg

Unfortunately, not a post about any progress on the layout. Quite a bit going on right now and the layout is on hold for the time being. However, I still get a chance to run some trains from time to time and I'm wondering if track cleaning cars work. Are they worth buying? Is it better to clean by hand?

I'm trying not to have all my beginner questions strewn all over the forum. Sorry if this should have been posted elsewhere.

Thanks
Paul

HI again, everyone. Due to some of life's inevitable difficulties I have been away from the forum (and the hobby) for a while.

Before I became occupied with other things I was trying to get my reversing section going. I finally ordered a PSX AR. I had
problems with it at first. The instructions say to run a functionality test on the device before installing it on the layout. Mine
failed the test. I called Tony's Trains and was told I put the jumpers on the wrong pins. This was true, however the instructions
say to put the jumpers on pins 2 and 3. It also says pin 3 is closets to the center of the board. This was helpful to someone
without great eyesight. Problem is that the instructions are wrong, pin 3 is closest to the edge of the board. Hopefully PSX
will fix this in the instructions at some point.

I then installed it, still wouldn't work. I called the same gentleman again and he was so helpful. He told me what most of you
probably already know; All feeders in the reversing section have to go to the PSX AR, none can go to the main bus line. I'm
not good with electricity so for me that was one of those things that made good sense after I learned it but never would have
thought of it :oops:

Anyway, I hope to be more active on the forum and on my layout in the future and I'm very happy I finally got my reversing
section going! Thanks for reading

Paul

Normally I wouldn't make a post for such a minor thing but I thought it would be a good way for me to re-introduce myself and my layout.

A continuing issue in the family has occupied most of my free time and money so the layout is still not progressing. However I did get some time to myself today so I looked around the forum for the first time in a few months and built a simple program track (well, I haven't put track on it yet :)).

It was a nice "guilt free" project since it only cost me $13 :)

Take care, all!
IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG

I'm wondering if track cleaning cars work. Are they worth buying? Is it better to clean by hand?
Well, I have one. It's a tank with a cleaning pad underneath. There is a drip valve so you can regulate the gravity flow of cleaning fluid. The worth depends on how much track you have. When I was in a club, it got a lot of use there, people liked it. It's quite heavy, it takes a brutish locomotive to move it. :) It's not just a gimmick, although if you are not cleaning much track, or very often, the cost may not make it worthwhile vs. just doing it by hand. I found, it was best to start first with an abrasive cleaner, like a "Brite Boy" eraser to get the really stubborn caked on stuff off.

The car does help to keep the cleaner from spreading around much, as the pad is very flat and the fluid flow can be throttled so it's only wet to the touch, it won't run down into the ballast or ties.

I have a program track at the workbench as well. I set mine up with a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch. Thrown one way the track is powered by my NCE PowerCab. Thrown the other way the track is powered by a LifeLike DC power pack. This way I can test a locomotive with DC power before converting it to DCC. Don't feel bad because you're in a slow mode with the layout. I haven't gotten nearly as much done with mine this year as I would like!

Well, I have one. It's a tank with a cleaning pad underneath. There is a drip valve so you can regulate the gravity flow of cleaning fluid. The worth depends on how much track you have. When I was in a club, it got a lot of use there, people liked it. It's quite heavy, it takes a brutish locomotive to move it. :) It's not just a gimmick, although if you are not cleaning much track, or very often, the cost may not make it worthwhile vs. just doing it by hand. I found, it was best to start first with an abrasive cleaner, like a "Brite Boy" eraser to get the really stubborn caked on stuff off.

The car does help to keep the cleaner from spreading around much, as the pad is very flat and the fluid flow can be throttled so it's only wet to the touch, it won't run down into the ballast or ties.
Thanks, diesel. I know these cars aren't cheap but if they do indeed work my layout has enough track for me to justify getting one. Maybe I'll clean the mainline and sidings with the car and the yard and spurs by hand.

Thanks for the info!

I have a program track at the workbench as well. I set mine up with a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch. Thrown one way the track is powered by my NCE PowerCab. Thrown the other way the track is powered by a LifeLike DC power pack. This way I can test a locomotive with DC power before converting it to DCC. Don't feel bad because you're in a slow mode with the layout. I haven't gotten nearly as much done with mine this year as I would like!
I like that idea. As you probably could see, mine is set up to only be powered by the Power Cab. I buy locos with decoders already installed (haven't got into decoder installs yet).

For the present anyway, things have calmed down a bit and I was actually able to start a project this weekend. My layout is made of 11 sections, several which will get backdrops. The first of which I installed and painted. It came out well enough I think but not great. I don't want to spend too much time fussing with the backdrops. Just something to look at instead of the wall :)

I will glue some printed flats onto it and put some printed buildings on foam core and glue them to it as well.

Thanks
Paul
Backdrop.JPG

Nice job and for a first layout this is amazing!
Looking forward to more progress

two suggestions...

at "A", remove the right hand turnout and replace it with a left hand turnout
at "B", shift the track to the left and replace the right hand turnout with a left hand turnout

Thank you for the kind words...perhaps more kind than honest but I'll take it :D

I appreciate all suggestions but could you explain the benefit to making those changes?

That picture is one end of the A/D tracks into the yard. On the other end the turnouts were configured like you suggested. I don't remember why I chose to do them that way in the picture because it was so long ago I made the track plan. Maybe I just wanted a different look on each end?

Thanks
Paul

Paul,
I believe those "S" curves could be eliminated with the change (S curves usually cause trouble)
But if the trains run through them without issue then that is all that matters

Paul,
I believe those "S" curves could be eliminated with the change (S curves usually cause trouble)
But if the trains run through them without issue then that is all that matters

That makes sense. I have had plenty of issues but trains don't have a problem in this area. Since those tracks are glued down they'll stay unless I do have a problem. 🤞

Did a little more on that section of backdrop. I've never done a backdrop before. Not sure what to do between the buildings. I'm thinking maybe try to paint a road which hopefully appears to be on the other side of the buildings?

Suggestions are not just welcome but borderline demanded 😃.Looking forward to some ideas!

Thanks
Paul
6. October b.JPG

Last edited:

Back