A 60,000 Gallon Whale Belly Tank Car

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Here's another resin kit. Gonna need a lot of body putty on this one. Body is just an 11" PVC pipe. All the other parts are rough castings that will need a lot of sanding and fitting.
The second picture is the ends of the belly part CA glued and clamped to the PVC pipe.

20230104_111750.jpg
20230104_113111.jpg

KEN - Happy to see you building an occasional non-powered car for your RR.
You are what I refer too as a full round modeler - not just someone who runs trains?
Back in my modeling days - I enjoyed building rolling stock more than actually running trains

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly that car was displayed at a museum in Texas, and subsequently got floated away in a hurricane flood they had down there,...then subsequently cut up and scraped.

Last edited:
The putty was very difficult to work. I thought it would be the consistency of wall plaster but it was more like wood putty. It doesn't spread on, it has to be pressed on.
Got some filing done on it today.

20230106_205327.jpg

That's lead beads imbedded in the body to give it weight.
I did some more sanding on it today. It needed some small dabs of filler but I didn't want to drive 35 miles to the hobby shop to buy it. I made my own with CA glue and baking soda. Just mixed a small amount that would fit in a bottle cap then dabbed it on the low points of the body.

Back