23 cars on a track that holds 22......

Boy that's some tight switching. I foresee ladders being snagged on a bunch of layouts as people attempt to duplicate it on their home pikes.

Boy that's some tight switching. I foresee ladders being snagged on a bunch of layouts as people attempt to duplicate it on their home pikes.

I remember the engineer saying he didn't like it.
And I've done the same thing in the past on my layout.
It was a surprise when it happened. :eek:

Hmm. 5 minutes of video for 45 seconds of show ;)

Why didn't they just shuffle with one of the cars they were leaving behind? It would have been a few more moves but they wouldn't have had to creep along so slowly through the whole operation. Is this just laziness or something?

Was it really necessary to do it that way?

I would think if they could have avoided the close shave (or if it hadn't fit) by:

a. Drop the first 21 cars on the siding.
b. Leave car 22 and 23 hooked to the engine.
c. Back up on the main line and hook car 24 to the end of that.
d. Pull forward then back onto siding and drop car 24.
e. Move cars 22 and 23 back onto main line and uncouple.
f. Go back onto siding and hook up car 24 to engine.
g. Pull onto main line and hook up to cars 22 and 23.
h. Back onto siding and hook up car 22 to the other 21 cars.
i. Pull entire reordered train onto main line and drive off.

Would this be correct or am I missing some obvious thing in my train noobishness? ;)

No, you're correct. To avoid potentially creating thousands of dollars in damage they should have done it 'correctly'.

Not sure on the commodity of the cars, but customers often specify cars to be spotted in certain order, so there was most likely a need to do that "close clearance" move. With today's railroading rules, leaving cars "foul" is forbidden.

Not sure on the commodity of the cars, but customers often specify cars to be spotted in certain order, so there was most likely a need to do that "close clearance" move. With today's railroading rules, leaving cars "foul" is forbidden.

Even if they wanted them in a specific order the steps that Dave S mentioned above would comply with the customer request. In fact, this is how they could also re-order cars which arrived out-of-order.

Back