1971 Walter Snowplow

I own one, 61 ACUS model

637003352_R5kjG-M.jpg

Now Old,why would need one for ? living in Sunny Buffalo.LOL. I was out to Pembroke, on Sunday, and there was little snow. a week or two ago, we got hammered. I live about 30 miles east of Rochester.

Ron

Bunch of WNYers in this thread, I live southeast of Buffalo and can say I have had enough snow and snowplows this year :)

Holy cow, that thing must have some serious ballast to keep moving through snow that deep. :eek: We had a few of those in Cleveland they'd bring out for the real blizzards. It usually came by our house just after I finished three hours work shoveling the driveway. :mad:

they have true 4wd always have traction. their slogan was 100% traction, very low gearing and big motors not much stops them. Mines got a 320 hp cummins pushing about 700 ftlbs of torque with a 6 speed

no plow and we're going to strip most of the plow frame off her. She's earned her look purity retirement. She does run but needs a new set of batteries, and work on the steering. hopefully going to have her running and driving along with the electronics all working by the ATHS 2012 show in mass

An here I though you had misspelled Walthers name and were refering to a RR Snow Plow! In fact I have an old Central Valley? Caboose that is made into a show plow and thought that maybe that's what you were refering too?

Boy was I surprised to see that non-rail vehicle of Drew S.

When I was stationed in Newfoundland in 1957 & 58 we had 3 dumptrucks w/large plows on the front. All of our snow was 6ft to 10 ft. deep. & all I had to do was clear the aircraft ramps. We loaded the dump body w/a heavy load of rocks & dirt for traction. I remember only being able to see out the side windows until we made the 1st run from the hangar to the runway. Use to take out an occassional sign along the edge of the taxi-way.

Steve, the UP rotaries are usually powered by a "snail", an ex F-7B with the traction motors removed but the diesel power plant retained and feeding the traction motors on the rotary. Some of the newere rotaries are self powered, with larger diesel engines and a honkin' big generator that actually turns the rotary plow. It's hard to tell from that video but it looks like one of the newer ones, with the large circular object in the rear part of the generator system.

Josh, great video. I didn't know that the UP ran rotaries out on the plains. At least when the SP was still in charge, every rotary train had one on the front and one on the rear, so they could buck their way out if the front rotary got caught in a drift. They were always run in that configuation over Donner Pass, although I don't know if that's still common practice.

Back