1/87th Vehicles

One of the guys at the club brought out some of the new Athearn cars, and they looked pretty sweet. He has the Ford model A sedan type ones.

-Smoke

I've watched this posting from the start. I've also seen some pretty neat looking vehicles. I model a steel mill in HO,the vehicles used in a mill can't be bought. So as a steel mill modeler,one has to scratch build all sorts of machines.

Below are photos of HO models of real machines used in steel mills around the world. I scratch/kit-bashed all of these from all types of vehicles. The kress carriers are kit-bashed/scratch built from a HO norscot 627G scrapers.

The 400 ton ladle crane is all scratch built as is the E-crane. Its not hard to build the right vehicle for the job.Shoot ,if I can do it,so can you. The other pictures are of two different scratch built tugboats.Then theres the toy bulldozers heavly bashed to include ROPS,ripper and a side boom.Then the last one is of a toy hydraulic shovel with added hydraulic hoses and other stuff. I bashed a few of the HO norscot caterpillar equipment with hydraulic hoses and other details. I'll have to take pictures of those to share though.

Hope you folks enjoy the pictures!!!

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

Kresscarrier002.png

DSC00234.png

DSC00190.png

KressscrapbucketcarrierHOscale003.png

400tonmorganladlecrane008-1.png

HOE-cranescratchbuild008.png

Tugbargepictures002.png

Tugpictures004.png

MOWdozertesttrack001.png

shovel007-1.png

dragonriversteel,

All I can say is, NICE!!!! All of it!!! Just totally awesome. That is some equipment that I've never seen in real life. The work you did on the scrapers is just awesome, as is the rest!!!

Totally excellent modelling!!! I could never do it!!!

Thanks guys...now all I have let to do is build my darn 12'X16' shed. Moneys pretty tight right now,so all I can do is scratch build eveything that will go with the mill.Chained to my workbench cranking out models for the mill.

I plan on building one last kress carrier,a six wheel steel slab hauler. I have three steel slab cars,but I kind of wanted something that will grab somebody by the horns.Got the build another kress carrier. I downloaded schematics of this type carrier and others from the US patent office.

Speaking of patent office,take some time and search the site. You can find all sorts of railroad related patents on there.For instants...a schematic for a Lucky gondola crane,you know the weird looking thing that unloads ties for MOW work,yeah that thing.This is on the drawing board/to build list too.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
DRSC

WOW, Fantastic looking equipment. That takes a ton of downright patience. Love everything you made. Never seen any of that equipment in my years of travel.

Larry

Patrick that is Fantastic work, what else can i say.

I'm looking for a 1/87th scale mine dump truck be it CAT, Liebherr, Terex or what ever but can i find any,,,nope,,,i found some excellent brass stuff but $500, i would be hung by the wife if i paid that, any ideas anyone.

Patrick that is Fantastic work, what else can i say.

I'm looking for a 1/87th scale mine dump truck be it CAT, Liebherr, Terex or what ever but can i find any,,,nope,,,i found some excellent brass stuff but $500, i would be hung by the wife if i paid that, any ideas anyone.

Thanks for the kind words. As for your problem...Boley makes 1/87 ore dump trucks.These aren't the top of the line models ,but with a little weathing,decals and kit-bashing.They would make fine looking models. I have a small fleet of 8,plenty enough for the slag pit.

102042.jpg

Heres the web address for the web-site that these are found on.

http://www.udisco.com/hobbies/inv/BOLE02.HTM

Depending on how much time and effort you put into them,they won't break the bank.They cost about $9.90 US,but you can find them cheaper on the web.

Hope this helps...

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

Steve,

Heres another link for you.

http://www.zyconmodels.com/catalog.php

Here you'll find all sorts of models related to mining. Zycon models has two kibri off road dump truck models...one a Komatsu & the other O&K.Theres also a few high end resin caterpillar haul trucks for about $95.00.These are made by a company from Germany,called D&K.Great models indeed,I too am in the same boat as you.If I went out and bought that Ertl P&H 4100XBL HO scale mining shovel. I'd be outside with my jack russel terrier,we would both be in hot water.

I'll keep searching for more 1/87 haul trucks.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
DRSC

Hey Patrick,

I see you 'discovered' this forum! Wonder why I didn't see any posts from you until now...? Anyway glad to see ya!

That zycon site has some mouthwatering stuff on it! Good thing I keep my credit cards on the other side of the house, it forces me to think before doing something hazardous to my marriage <LOL>.

I've got this Kibri litronic crane kit that's been gathering dust for the past 7 years. I bought it with the intention of converting the clamshell contraption into tongs for an ingot-stripper; but since I've retired my ingot facility that won't be happening. I'd love to assemble the crane for use in my slag pit, though...

Hey Patrick,

I see you 'discovered' this forum! Wonder why I didn't see any posts from you until now...? Anyway glad to see ya!

That zycon site has some mouthwatering stuff on it! Good thing I keep my credit cards on the other side of the house, it forces me to think before doing something hazardous to my marriage <LOL>.

I've got this Kibri litronic crane kit that's been gathering dust for the past 7 years. I bought it with the intention of converting the clamshell contraption into tongs for an ingot-stripper; but since I've retired my ingot facility that won't be happening. I'd love to assemble the crane for use in my slag pit, though...

Hello Ken,

Yeah I'm all over the place. Me and you both regarding the credit card. I've had my eye on one of those Ertl P&H 4100XBL mining shovels for some time now.My wife would crap can me for sure,if I purchased that.

I had a thought for your crane.Why not a slag breaker,paint a fishing weight and add that delightful crane to the slag pit. That was my first though when I saw the crane.Dunno what they call a crane that works in the slag pit,but I think its a skull breaker.

Speaking of slag pit...I found a decent drawing of a gantry crane ,used in a slag pit for moving & dumping of slag pot ladles. If you have seen the book on Union RR,its the same one in the book.That bad boys on ,"the to build list too".

I'm still building kress carriers,right now working on a six wheeled slab carrier.Should have something soon to share.

Whatcha been doing lately on your layout ? I'd love to see pictures of it,seem to have lost the URL again.

Take care...

Patrick

Hello Ken,

... I had a thought for your crane.Why not a slag breaker,paint a fishing weight and add that delightful crane to the slag pit. ...

Exactly what I was thinking Patrick, it's nearly identical to the one in Dean's first 'steel' book (slag processing chapter). It'll replace the somewhat-lightweight-looking crane I currently have there.

Whatcha been doing lately on your layout ? I'd love to see pictures of it,seem to have lost the URL again.
I wish I could show you something recent, but I've been wrestling with the DCC Demon these past few months. Installing decoders, sometimes rebuilbing locos from the inside out. Nothing photogenical about that.

My layout as it existed last July is at this web address:
http://ironbelt.net/nmra_2006_index.html

...but I made a few changes since then, the main one being that I removed the ingot stripper/soaking pit building to put in a coil shipment facility. The layout was operationally flawed in that I could spot all of the incoming cars of coal, scrap metal, etc., but there was no place to generate the loads going out (coil cars). Since it is a later-era mill anyway, I figured the ingot operation could be painlessly sacrificed. Here are shots of my ingot mill area both BEFORE the conversion, and AFTER.

Have you met Rex (rexhea) yet? If not, then I gotta introduce you since he's a hardcore steel mill enthusiast like we are! I think he'd appreciate your heavy equipment scratchbuilds. Here's a thread he had going a few months back, when he was expanding the steel mill area of his layout:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5636

Exactly what I was thinking Patrick, it's nearly identical to the one in Dean's first 'steel' book (slag processing chapter). It'll replace the somewhat-lightweight-looking crane I currently have there.

I wish I could show you something recent, but I've been wrestling with the DCC Demon these past few months. Installing decoders, sometimes rebuilbing locos from the inside out. Nothing photogenical about that.

My layout as it existed last July is at this web address:
http://ironbelt.net/nmra_2006_index.html

...but I made a few changes since then, the main one being that I removed the ingot stripper/soaking pit building to put in a coil shipment facility. The layout was operationally flawed in that I could spot all of the incoming cars of coal, scrap metal, etc., but there was no place to generate the loads going out (coil cars). Since it is a later-era mill anyway, I figured the ingot operation could be painlessly sacrificed. Here are shots of my ingot mill area both BEFORE the conversion, and AFTER.

Have you met Rex (rexhea) yet? If not, then I gotta introduce you since he's a hardcore steel mill enthusiast like we are! I think he'd appreciate your heavy equipment scratchbuilds. Here's a thread he had going a few months back, when he was expanding the steel mill area of his layout:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5636

Hello Ken,

Outstanding work as usual, love the change. Always a pleasure to see the new ideas.
Kudos,
Patrick

I found a Forklift w/real long forks at a Wal-Mart in Hialeah Fl. this week. It's a little big for H.O., but on my layout sitting next to a large tractor it fits right in. It's made by Matchbox in the blister paks & not in the box. Must be between 1/87th & 1/64 or 1/72. The forks move up & down & the body is made out of metal.
I also found some of the new Reel Rides. I only bought a 1937 red VW & about 4 Pont. Trans-ams in diff. colors. Bought some other items too in the old black boxes, but different cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh,

What is the best way to paint the red rims on the bobcat? Did you strictly cut it in by hand brush or did you mask the tires off? Nice job by the way. You probably know this but Zycon models sells the decals for the Bobcat.

Josh,

What is the best way to paint the red rims on the bobcat? Did you strictly cut it in by hand brush or did you mask the tires off? Nice job by the way. You probably know this but Zycon models sells the decals for the Bobcat.
Yeah, Zycon sells the Lonestar sheet.

I painted rims by hand, in fact the whole thing besides the white.

Back