Search results

1. quakers1

Best Airbrush on a Budget?

Thanks for all your responses!!! I will take a good look at every suggestion, and see what I like best. Btw, I have another question. Since my paint scheme is only one color (everything else is decals), I am not needing any fancy spraying rig. Is using spray paint or old school brush paint...
  2. quakers1

Best Airbrush on a Budget?

Hello everyone. Recently, I have commenced an HO scale freelance project in which I must paint several undecorated locomotives to build a roster for my railroad (well, every fictional freelance has gotta get paint work!) Of course, I am going to be needing an airbrush. Since I am spending...
  3. quakers1

Radius Question

Hello there, First off, thanks to everyone who left me a response. The two different Transcon areas I have in mind have greatly different terrain. The Amarillo-Clovis route is virtually ALL flatlands, with the exception of the Red River bridge, where the terrain gets a little more...
  4. quakers1

Radius Question

Hello, In the past month, a new oppurtunity for a model railroad has opened for me: I found out that i can have a 12'x30' room for layout usage! :) This has opened up the possibility of HO Scale for me, which makes me thrilled, but I have one question. Since the room is not too wide, I am a...
  5. quakers1

Best N Scale Intermodal Equipment?

Hello all. Yes, I have been asking quite a bit of questions lately, but its all in the name of deciding EXACTLY what to use on my layout, and saving money in the end. This question pertains to intermodal equipment. Since my layout will play host to a number of intermodal trains, its a no...
  6. quakers1

Wanting to Get Started in Decorating Locomotives

Thank you for all the help so far...throughout today, I have read many articles, and even watched some videos on kitbashing locomotives. Through videos, I have found a small place that sells the two main parts required to convert any Athearn Genesis SD70M into a Phase II Cab/Flared Radiators...
  7. quakers1

Wanting to Get Started in Decorating Locomotives

Hello everyone. Recently, I have been taking the time to more heavily plan my layout. I did like the sound of going N scale, but I determined that it would simply be a bit too small for my big hands to handle. So, I've decided to move back up to HO scale. Along with the planning, I have...
  8. quakers1

Layout Design Help

Hello. First off, thank you for your response! I have seen smaller curves on N Scale layouts, now thanks to your info, I know they will fly. And I completely agree on using smaller curves in places where your larger cars will never go. Seems like this practice could ultimately save space! I...
  9. quakers1

Layout Design Help

Hello all..It has been awhile since I have said anything here, but after some months of waiting to see if a larger space would open up for a model railroad, I'm glad to say my wait was worth it. First off, as of now, i do have an unfinished room at my disposal (yes, i'll have to do some...
  10. quakers1

What Track to Use?

Hey, Atlas track is very good. And yes, I speak of N scale. I do not have the space to build a large layout in HO. The whole thing with Tortoise turnout motors making the switch move more slowly is what got my attention. Atlas makes reliable switch machines, but they move the turnouts a bit...
  11. quakers1

What Track to Use?

Greetings, Since I am beginning to finalize my layout plan for the Aurora Sub, I am beginning to ask myself what would be the best brand of track to use. For sure, the code I will use is Code 55. It is more prototypical in size to the real deal than Code 80 is. Where my question rises...
  12. quakers1

New Layout Plan

Hello, Thank you so much for your reply. I am pretty sure I will order a copy of the John Armstrong book. He is a master track planner, and I read materials of nothing other than the experts. And yes, I figured 12x20 would be enough for me to fit my layout in N scale. And yes, without a...
  13. quakers1

N Scale C40-9Ws?

Hey, When I do paint my Dash 9s, I will show them off here. My plans are leaning toward a BNSF route, but I will still paint a few NS Dash 9s. I see so many of them on BNSF rails these days. Thanks for all the painting advice! -Skylar
  14. quakers1

New Layout Plan

Hello all, First off, this plan is nothing final. After looking at pictures on various railroad photo sites, and some Google Earthing over the area, I have been taking the Rochelle-Aurora segment of BNSF's Aurora Sub into consideration. After doing a measurement in Google Earth, the route is...
  15. quakers1

N Scale C40-9Ws?

Hey quietstorm, I did read your PM, and this helped A WHOLE LOT. Thanks for posting this info! Cheers, Skylar =)
  16. quakers1

N Scale C40-9Ws?

Hey, I hear ya. Norfolk Southern uses a relatively simple paint scheme...so I never figured it would be too complicated to do. By the way, are you painting the new run of Kato Dash 9s? I noticed something about them...all of them have nose headlights. NS Dash 9s have lights on the cab. Is...
  17. quakers1

N Scale C40-9Ws?

Hey, Thanks for your help. There is a whole lot of NS stuff offered in HO scale, but I do not have the space to model a large mainline railroad in HO. Now I can make some C40-9Ws through self-decoration. From what I understand, all you would have to do is apply a couple coats of flat black...
  18. quakers1

N Scale C40-9Ws?

Hello all, One of the possible prototypes I might model is a Norfolk Southern route. Since my space (12x20) can house a large N scale railroad, I am going to model in N scale for sure. I have ran into a pretty big problem: I cannot seem to find any N scale NS C40-9Ws on the market. Has...
  19. quakers1

Brass Question

Hey, Thanks for your help. I try to use plastic whenever possible, but sometimes you just gotta go with brass.
  20. quakers1

Brass Question

Hello, I have a quick question to ask. Recently, I have been looking at some brass models from Overland, since they make models that aren't available in plastic. I have read up on brass locomotives, and I usually see articles about collecting brass locomotives. Are brass locomotives solely...

Back