What Track to Use?

quakers1

The Blue Man
Greetings,

Since I am beginning to finalize my layout plan for the Aurora Sub, I am beginning to ask myself what would be the best brand of track to use.

For sure, the code I will use is Code 55. It is more prototypical in size to the real deal than Code 80 is.

Where my question rises is what brand of track should I use?

On all my past layouts, I have used Code 83 and Code 100 sectional track in HO, and Code 80 sectional track in N scale. All the layouts used Atlas track. So, I have experience with them.

I've heard for years now that Peco makes excellent track in both N and HO.

So, which track is the better track to use?

And here is another question. I have read and heard many people saying that Tortoise Turnout Motors are the best on the market. Is this true?

Thanks for any input. And thanks even more for taking the time to read this.

Best Regards,

-Skylar

I like Atlas track the best, tried some no name brand from Italy.... yuck! Peco is allright but in my mind just not as good.
I'm thinking you're talking N scale track now... again in that scale I've only used Atlas.
I'm using Tortoise machines powered by an NCE switch8 decoder and absolutely love them. Of course I can't comment on other brands as I've never used them.

Hey,

Atlas track is very good. And yes, I speak of N scale. I do not have the space to build a large layout in HO.

The whole thing with Tortoise turnout motors making the switch move more slowly is what got my attention. Atlas makes reliable switch machines, but they move the turnouts a bit too fast.

So, my track will be Atlas Code 55.

My turnout motors shall be Tortoise.

Btw...i plan on running larger equipment such as well cars, 89' auto carriers, modern 6-axle diesels, and 89' TOFC cars. Would #8 turnouts work with such equipment?

Thanks for the input!

-Skylar =)

Agree with the Code 55 Atlas in N. Dave Vollmer has a thread over on Model Railroader Magazine's discussion forum showing his new module, and he, a very accomplished modeller, is quite thrilled with the Atlass N Code 55.

As for turnouts, #8's are closer to prototypical for yards than are #6's, but most of us only use #8 turnouts out on the main for track speed running of fast freight and passenger service with 80' and up passenger cars. I use Peco Streamline Code 83 Insulfrog #6 turnouts in my yard exclusively, and have no problems with small diesel and steam switchers right up to my massive Pennsy 2-10-4 J1. Articulated engines in HO scale are perfectly happy with #5's in most cases, so #6 are just peachy for large steamers. Brass, of course, is a whole 'nuther issue. Some would be okay on a true #6, such as most Pacific class engines, but 8 and 10 coupled steamers would want #7 or #8.

-Crandell

So, my track will be Atlas Code 55.
<snip>

Btw...i plan on running larger equipment such as well cars, 89' auto carriers, modern 6-axle diesels, and 89' TOFC cars. Would #8 turnouts work with such equipment?

You don't have that option in Atlas Code 55 N scale. The straight turnouts are #5, #7, and #10.

The #7 turnout has what's called a Rail Closure Radius (the tightest radius through the curved side) of roughly 30". That will be fine for your longest equipment. It's probably even OK for crossovers. (you could also use the #10s there, but they are pretty large).

I've seen long cars move fine through Atlas Code 55 #5s as well, the RCR is about 14". But if you plan to shove those long cars (or a string of mixed car langths) through a yard ladder, the #7s are a little safer.

Best of luck.

Back