N Scale C40-9Ws?

quakers1

The Blue Man
Hello all,

One of the possible prototypes I might model is a Norfolk Southern route. Since my space (12x20) can house a large N scale railroad, I am going to model in N scale for sure.

I have ran into a pretty big problem: I cannot seem to find any N scale NS C40-9Ws on the market. Has anyone ever produced these? I can compensate for some other NS locomotives not being in N scale...but not having C40-9Ws is a huge problem.

Will this be something that I must decorate myself? Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

-Skylar :)

I know Kato made a Dash 9 because I have 2 here to paint for someone. I do not believe they made a NS one though. Microscale does make the decals though so they would not be hard to make.

Hey,

Thanks for your help. There is a whole lot of NS stuff offered in HO scale, but I do not have the space to model a large mainline railroad in HO.

Now I can make some C40-9Ws through self-decoration.

From what I understand, all you would have to do is apply a couple coats of flat black, and then all the white is decals, which as you said, Microscale offers.

Btw, are Microscale Decals waterslide or dry transfer? I have no problem with using waterslide decals whatsoever, but I have just never purchased decals before.

I always thought N scale was super-hard to decorate for some reason. It may not be as easy as bigger scales, but I know I can and will do it.

Thanks for your advice!

-Skylar

Microscale are water transfer. I don't think N scale is really any easier than HO. Some paint jobs I have done were easier in HO scale than N scale and vice versa. The NS i would think would be just as easy in N as HO.

Hey,

I hear ya. Norfolk Southern uses a relatively simple paint scheme...so I never figured it would be too complicated to do.

By the way, are you painting the new run of Kato Dash 9s? I noticed something about them...all of them have nose headlights. NS Dash 9s have lights on the cab. Is there any way to modify this, or will I have to settle with nose lights?

Thanks for any help,

-Skylar

Yes, there is a correct cab made by mark4design for the kato dash 9 specifically for the NS C40's. ill post the link for you here. the price is usd and shipping is 8 dollar international. hes from new zealand or austrailia, I forgot which one.

Hey quietstorm,

I did read your PM, and this helped A WHOLE LOT. Thanks for posting this info!

Cheers,

Skylar =)

Nice link for the new cabs! $22 seams a lot to me for a cab, but if it makes it correct its defiantly worth it. The 9's i am painting are going to become CN so the nose light is correct.

For the throughbred scheme, painting the whole thing black is easy. For the horsehead scheme, I don't know if they make decals for the unibrow or the whiteface, but in HO scale, I would paint the entire engine white, mask off the area that would stay white (unibrow or whiteface), then put on a coat or two of black depending on how the first coat turns out, and the rest is decals.

no, decals for the unibrow or white face. Best decals hands down for accuracy are shellscale. Especially number board wise. I built a GP38 high hood, RP E4D and RP E4C slugs to go with the GP38. I will be using Shellscale for the numberboards on these units and then when I get my Kato Dash 9 I will use them over microscale for the horsehead scheme.

Dont use flat paint, the decals will look like crap on it. I recommend either a gloss or satin finish prior to decaling, then use dullcoat to kill the shine after decaling. Applying decals over a flat paint job is a sure way to see all the decal film. Make sure to post up some pics of your dash 9's after you paint them! Cheers Mike and Michele

Hey,

When I do paint my Dash 9s, I will show them off here.

My plans are leaning toward a BNSF route, but I will still paint a few NS Dash 9s. I see so many of them on BNSF rails these days.

Thanks for all the painting advice!

-Skylar

kato did not care about the correctness of loco
they used high number boards and low lights the ditch lights were w
wrong also, they used low not high lights

trains071.png

trains073.png

Back