Search results

1. BigE

Running Bear's Coffee Sbop LXIX

oopsy daisy!!
  2. BigE

wanted: Kato BNSF SD45

I have a friend looking to buy one. Does anyone have one to sell? He didn't mention what scale but I know it's either N or HO. Let me know. E
  3. BigE

Life-Like Pkesville Junction (in HO)

Anyone have one of these that they wouldn't mind sharing a pic or several? A friend sent me a kit without box or pics. It's all new, sealed in the bag. It has the directions. I'm curious what colors you may have doctored it up with? eg: did you leave the roofs red as molded? How about the...
  4. BigE

JMRI with laptop question(s)

I may have a free (i.e. old) laptop coming. I already have the NCE USB interface hooked up. My question is what requirements are needed for the laptop? Any flavor of Win XP or higher? To be honest, my buddy's machine (if he has one to give me) may even be a Mac of some sort. I really don't...
  5. BigE

HO log cabin to scatch build

I've recently built a mountain and am wanting to put a cabin or two on it. A friend suggested I scratch-build one using bamboo skewers from the grocery store. That's all fine and good. Problem is I haven't scratch-built anything in well over 40 years. Even then I never did anything like a log...
  6. BigE

HO chain link fence

I got the stuff to make my own today - tull, 18gauge wire, etc. I'm wanting to put some around some yard areas - sand and fuel spurs and the flood loader tower. Probably around the engine maintenance lines and building once I get that built as well. What would be good height of the fence. What...
  7. BigE

HO 2-bay engine house

I'm thinking adding a 2nd line to my solo spur and put an engine house on it. The building I'm looking at is the Pikestuff 541-0008 40'x80' model. I only use this line to park engines when not in use so as not to clutter up the yard lines. What do you guys think? Would I be crowding it too much...
  8. BigE

pewter trackside boxes

I have a couple of those little HO cast pewter trackside electrical relay boxes from Details West. Will my regular old Testors enamel model paint stick to them?
  9. BigE

HO truck replacements

I have 2 old Bachman cars in need of trucks. These have the plastic push-pin type pilot mounts. One has body-mount couplers and the other apparently was truck mounted. Can someone help find replacements for them please. Preferably from MB Klein since I have a couple of other things to order. I...
  10. BigE

casting rocks

I plan on casting some rock face stuff for a mountain. My question is what do you all use for your casting work? I'm thinking to just get a bag of powder plaster mix from the local big-box store would be fine. I see no need for hydrocal or dental plaster or anything fancy. For the mountain...
  11. BigE

HO MU cable accessory detail

I got my Details West MU-266 MU clusters painted and ready to mount. Someone suggested also adding the MU-236 cable. What's the difference between that one and the MU-221 package? Figure if I'm going to add the cluster hoses, might as well add the main cable as well. Don't ya think? E
  12. BigE

anyone looking into LCC these days?

Just curious really. Currently my only DCC bus load is just for the engines. All my accessories, lights and turnouts, are powered with my old DC power pack. E
  13. BigE

building lights and windows

Do you all prefer the diffusing film like this: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Woodland-Scenics-Diffusing-Film-p/woo-jp5715.htm Or what do you all do? E.
  14. BigE

MU connctor lines - add on detail

No doubt many of you have done this already. I was thinking to some to my locos? Do they make them already in a 3 hose cluster? Who makes them? Or is even worth it? Of course I'll notice and perhaps an occasional serious modeler that visit might notice. Not likely anyone else would give it a...
  15. BigE

Running Bear's Coffee Shop - LIII

Allow me Terry. You can sleep in. ~
  16. BigE

first try at weathering

I'll definitely put on some plastic gloves next time. You all were right. That stuff gets all over everything. Anyway, here is the finished sand bin for my sanding tower facility. I painted it earth brown first and then hit it with grimy black. I guess I'm OK with that. Pretty much what I was...
  17. BigE

HO - a little engine help please

My buddy Carey put a decoder in this engine for me some time ago. I finally got around to fixing a loose connection today. No problem with that. Too me longer to get the dam shell off than to fix it. Since I was at it I figured I'd put on Kaydee couplers to I can pull cars with it. I have some...
  18. BigE

ballasting HO track

So as not to further hijack the "Now I understand" thread, I'll start anew. I've been asking how much ballast I'll need to do my 80' of HO track on beveled cork roadbed with 10 turnouts and one cross-over. Having no responses anywhere I've asked, I called MB Klein to ask those always helpful...
  19. BigE

labelling your wires under the deck

I'm starting to get quite a bird nest going on. How do you all associate stuff up top - like lamp posts - to wires underneath? At first I was keeping up with a nice diagram and had everything labeled. Well I've slacked off on keeping up with that. When I started a few months ago, I had only 2...
  20. BigE

So. Pac. passenger cars

I was recently given 2 sets of 4 plus 1 that has the rounded back. This is HO. They are in serious need of steel wheels. My regular supplier no longer carries the 12 packs of Intermountain what I got last time so I checked the next manufacturer, Reboxx, to see what they have. Turns out to be...

Back