Search results

1. O

Wooden Box cars on a 1959 railroad

I bought a couple of wooden side box cars in with the usual post war boxes that i purchased for my model railroad. My model year is 1959. I'm debating as to what to do with them: 1) Heavily weather but keep them in revenue service, perhaps for a specific industry on the downturn. 2) Derelict...
  2. O

3D printed people

I may be in the minority here, but if you look a most HO scale "people" they always look bulkier than real folk. This really sticks out to me when there is an article showing someone modeling a real person and shows the modeled person next to a picture of the real guy. Have any of you tried to...
  3. O

Walthers/Shinohaera turnouts for DCC

I am asking this just to see if there is any new thinking regarding modifications necessary to the stock "DCC Friendly" Walthers/Shinohara turnouts. I'm using #4 straight turnouts for the most part on my "shelf" layout. The articles I've reviewed are several years old. 1) Do you jump from the...
  4. O

Laying rail directly on the substrate...

I've seen some people laying railroad directly on their base, without track cork or anything that would give the ballast slope. Our model is an association short line connecting a large consolidated company to secondary manufactures. I know that rail off the mainline is not usually ballasted...
  5. O

Steam generator for tank engines....

No, not Thomas. I've read that Porter tank engines used an external source of steam which was stored in the tank above a base of water. I can't find any pictures/references to these steam generating facilities. Anything will help. I can, of course, assume it's "off layout", but if I can find...
  6. O

Afternoon from the middle of nowhere

My handle is OldGuyHO and it fits. I'm old and I model in HO. Starting back up after about a 15 year hiatus from the hobby. I'm sure I'll have questions.

Back