Walthers/Shinohaera turnouts for DCC

OldGuyHO

I am asking this just to see if there is any new thinking regarding modifications necessary to the stock "DCC Friendly" Walthers/Shinohara turnouts. I'm using #4 straight turnouts for the most part on my "shelf" layout.

The articles I've reviewed are several years old.

1) Do you jump from the stock rail to the point rail or drop a feeder from the point rails?
2) Any other modifications necessary to an apparently well functioning, new turnout?

I've reviewed a 2011 post on this forum ("DCC Friendly Shinohara Turnout???") as well as wiringfordccc.com.

Any new info would be helpful.

Walthers/Shinohera turnouts are high quality and function great. I've used several of them and have never had any issues. Just install them and they work.

All you need to do is make sure you have feeder wires on all 3 sides of the switch. incoming straight rails, through straight rails, and the diverging rails.

I believe that you would have to put a gap in the diverging tracks to prevent shorting as the points will direct current. I just finished laying all of my layout expansion with code 70 Shinohara track and everything operates flawlessly, but I operate DC only.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are newer switches they should be insulated at the points. Check to see if cross section is plastic or metal. If they are plastic, they are insulated and don't need gaps on the rails.

Back