Search results

1. M

Model Building Skills - Really need to improve them!

NH Mike, thank you for the detailed response... My wife is out of town for the weekend and I'm going to spend some quality time with some dpm models and I'm going to pickup some items you mentioned... Currently I use the testors model cement that comes in the square package with the really...
  2. M

Thank you for that info...I used to run/own a large regional ISP and have setup literally hundreds of message forums but this place is less obvious than the ones I'm accustomed to Matthew
  3. M

Thank you I could use some tips on how to post pictures on this forum Matthew
  4. M

Ok, I've built a bunch of buildings, I've played around a lot with my air brush to prime and paint them, but I'm still lacking the ability to have the N scale buildings come out close enough to what I would like and more importantly as good as I know others achieve... I know the more models I...
  5. M

Best Compressor

My compressor has two dials, one that shows the pressure in the tank and the second one which I can adjust , I assume that is the regulator I run between 25-30 Is there a second setting I'm missing?
  6. M

Painting white steel, looking for suggestions

Thank you for the tips, I have the jewelers files but the bath thing is a great tip I've never heard before Matthew
  7. M

Badger Modelflex Paint??

Someone me tinned another online source for the model flex paints, their prices are pretty low but their minimum shipping seems to be like $13! I have a whole bunch of colors I need so I'm going to order enough to make the shipping more bearable... They seem to be the only one with John Deere...
  8. M

Thank you What's best way to get rid of rough edges on castings? File or fine sandpaper? Matthew
  9. M

Best Compressor

Using pancake style porter cable compressor Hello. I have a red round porter cable compressor leftover from my cabinet making hobby days. And the damn thing fills up pretty quickly and the psi setting seems to be stable, but it seems to kick in way too often... Any suggestions? I have...
  10. M

Hello. I just got a new DPM "gold kit" that is a feed and seed building and a farming implements... It's loaded, it has 4 John Deere tractors, two combines and several dozen small props that are white steel and I have no experience painting this stuff! I'm in N Scale and using an...
  11. M

Best Hobby Shops on the Web

I'm actually going to be in LA Thursday and Friday could you give me more info on that hobby shop, do they carry n scale? Matthew
  12. M

Building a five siding N scale Yard, need scenicking advice

Excellent, I assume the resulting piece is far easier to cut than hydrocal? I have a silicone mold of a small brick wall and if I could cut that more easily I could trim it down to two right sized wall pieces for n scale Matthew
  13. M

Thanks for the extra pictures and explaining the wall layout... Having a love hate relationship with my mold making process I have a couple of really nice lightweight molds that make a great small wall pattern but to make them useable for n scale there needs to be a bit of trimming and...
  14. M

Wow you really nailed it! Thank you for the great pictures, I really appreciate all the views The stone wall, was it a plaster casting? And what scale is that, looks like n scale Do you have a picture that shows the transition point going up to the freight yards level from the...
  15. M

Does anyone have a freightyard on their layout that they would like to share some photos of? I've searched the web and found a couple of good photos but I'd love to see some nice pictures of yards that some creativity went into... I'm looking around in my area to find some real world...
  16. M

Yeah I've read that page before... I've got the me Janice pretty well set I'm looking for visuals and your advice is very good I need to poke around and find a freight yard in person Matthew
  17. M

Hello I'm willing to put a LOT of effort to make my yard look as real as possible I'm laying all the track for it on a big piece of thin cork so I won't have to be worrying about roadbed etc I already bough a big bottle of woodland scenics cinders as I'm thinking using that both to ballast...
  18. M

Best weathering book or video?

The books are better than any DVD I've seen Matthew
  19. M

Painting with an air brush questions

I have two badger brushes and I've had great luck with their paints Matthew
  20. M

Best Compressor

If noise is an issue get any old compressor and get the air tank that someone posted the link to With just an air tank it will be pretty much silent Matthew

Back