Best Compressor

Hey guys,

Just getting started with a air brush system and I'm looking for a good compressor. My air brush is a good starter one by Powermate and its got a 10-30psi recomendation on it. Been checking out the compressors on Hobbylinc, just don't know which one to go with. Any input would be great.

Chad

Compressor

I purchased my Badger compressor from Michael's, a national chain of craft stores. They run coupons for certain days, where you can get a 50% discount on one item purchased. Not a bag deal. See if there's one locally ask them for details.

I think it was a $180 compressor for $90.00.

Greg

I have a 3 gallon pancake style compressor from Harbor Freight. $40.00 It works great. I dont see how you could beat that. They also have hose and filters and other airbrush parts. Good luck and most of all have fun. I enjoy weathering my rolling stock with mine.
Alan

I used a garage type (Husky, I think) to get me started. I then added a dryer and a regulator to try to fine tune the pressure. This worked OK, but often resulted in me having to re-do work because of runs and clogged airbrush. With the onset of winter, I decided to invest in a compressor that was quiet enough to run inside and also pick up something that would give me a more consistent result. After reading reviews and watching some online reviews as well, I decided to invest in an Iwata Smart Jet. It's consistent and super quiet, yet small enough for me to be able to paint at my desk. Since investing, I've been able to control the airbrush much better and refine my weathering. If you are serious about painting, I would recommend a compressor of this type. I'm very happy with the Smart Jet, but there are probably some others out there that are comparable.

I have used an old tube and a tire I filled in the garage. I was surprised at how long I could use the airbrush when I had it plugged into the old truck tire. I just welded on a nipple, then a regulator, water trap and away I went. I filled it to 40PSI and then used the reg to drop it to what I needed.

Another way is to use a 9 gallon air tank.

Fill it in the garage, use in the house.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Air-Tan...=1359343105&sr=8-1&keywords=9+gallon+air+tank

Buzz.

I bought a Porter Cable portable compressor+tank setup that has a regulator with pressure adjust knob. Once I run the compressor to fill the tank it will run an airbrush for a long time.

Plus it puts out op to 150-psi so it has enough 'grunt' to run air tools to build the layout room. :)

All very viable options discussed so far. I forgot to mention that one input to my decision is a dog that absolutely goes nuts when I run the old noisy compressor. In fact, she ran away one time during a painting session - so I was forced to find a quiet solution. I'm happy to report that the Iwata runs so quietly, she's not even fazed. So in my particular case, the decision was a good one....As always, you mileage may vary. On thing for sure though, the forum is a good source of knowledge and input!

Unless you have special needs (like PApats dog) then the compressor is relatively unimportant. What you need is a consistent air supply and that's it. Your wife with a bicycle pump and an airtank would qualify as long as she can pump faster than you can paint. But what goes between the air supply and the brush is important......a regulator that is consistent (if you set it at a certain PSI will it actually be at that PSI time after time). If you can't repeat your settings, then every time you paint is a new learning experience and you won't get consistent results. And a good water trap/dryer is important .........water going thru your brush will ruin your day (and paint job) real fast. And of course the quality of your brush is important.....you're much better off with a good brush and a cheap compressor than the other way around

Bob, glad I could help. When I was a kid, I would ride my skate board to the gas station, fill up the air tank to paint my n scale door layout. You would be surprised at how far the tank will go at low pressure for small jobs.

Buzz.

P.S. I miss my garage buddy Shelby. He always thought my work was good. He has been gone 5 years now. Miss him as much today.

Whatever compressor you use, be sure you drain the tank after every time you use it. Otherwise, water will condense and eventually rust the tank.
I've had a Campbell Hausfield compressor for nearly 20 years. Still running and painting great.
I second the comments about water/oil traps, a good regulator and good airbrushes.
I use a Badger single action (model 150, maybe) and a Paasche double-action. Had 'em both for years. Clean 'em properly and they'll last a lifetime.

Chris
Miller Lake, ON

I know this option isn't for everybody but if you are a firefighter or scuba diver or know somebody who is, an SCUBA/SCBA tank works well if you have a place to fill it. 2200+ PSI of oil/water free breathing air. It's mobile and quiet and lasts along time when airbrushing. Fire department gave me an old steel one that was out of certification. I bought a brand new Victor oxygen regulator for the tank to monitor tank pressure and line pressure and put an air quick disconnect on the low pressure/line side. Then I plug in an airbrush or air eraser, turn the bottle on, and go.

This depends on a couple of things:

Hobby compressors are light (lighter than the scuba tank option) and most of all QUIET! I have used the Campbell Hausfield (reliable, but will wake the dead when it runs) I have a large belt driven Husky in the shop, a 5 horse with 30 gallon tank because I also run a blasting booth, and for about three years I used an Iwata Smart Jet. That is a really nice compressor. My Smart Jet saw a lot of use, at shows, clinics, and at home. It shuts off when you aren't painting, and best of all, the new diaphragm compressors don't have a problem with pulsation. A far cry from my old Badger compressor that I had to chase across the basement floor when it ran. Last year at the Amherst show a fellow talked me out of it, and I bought an Iwata Power Jet Tubular. The Iwata line is nice, and high quality, but that does make them a little pricey. OTOH, you generally get what you pay for! :D I use it at home when I need to be quiet, or want to weather cars upstairs. If you go that route, you won't be sorry.

Haah! I remember chasing my old Badger compressor across the floor. After a few minutes it would be tugging on your airbrush hose. So first I bought a much longer hose.

I eventually screwed it to a wood plank. That slowed it down but magnified the noise. It also put out air pulsations that required a reservoir to dampen out. So I used a Oxygen bottle from a WII bomber a check valve, a moisture trap and a regulator and gauge set. I got tired of having to yank the plug out of the wall to stop it so I added a power switch in a box. Soon this thing was a bunch of bulky homegrown junk that was clumsy to lug around.

All very viable options discussed so far. I forgot to mention that one input to my decision is a dog that absolutely goes nuts when I run the old noisy compressor. In fact, she ran away one time during a painting session - so I was forced to find a quiet solution. I'm happy to report that the Iwata runs so quietly, she's not even fazed. So in my particular case, the decision was a good one....As always, you mileage may vary. On thing for sure though, the forum is a good source of knowledge and input!

If noise is an issue get any old compressor and get the air tank that someone posted the link to

With just an air tank it will be pretty much silent

Matthew

Matthew, the Iwata is a permanent fixture on the workbench. I'm very pleased and Maggie doesn't freak out when the paint shop is open...

Using pancake style porter cable compressor

Hello.

I have a red round porter cable compressor leftover from my cabinet making hobby days. And the damn thing fills up pretty quickly and the psi setting seems to be stable, but it seems to kick in way too often...

Any suggestions?

I have an inline water trap which never seems to get any water in it, and I have drained water out of the main body by opening up the drain plug while the compressor is off.

Matthew

I may be late to this party, but this is what I have.
I use a compressor motor from an old refrigerator and a small oxygen bottle with a few fittings plus a regulator and water trap.
The whole thing is only about 16 inches square, not very heavy, and is very silent when running.

the psi setting seems to be stable, but it seems to kick in way too often...

Any suggestions?

A couple of questions:
do you have a regulator?
what pressure are you painting at?

My setup has a regulator that's integral to the compressor, which I set at 50 psi. I have another regulator, with traps built in, that I use to control the pressure to my airbrushes. The second regulator may be superfluous to some, but it's a much finer adjustment than the built-in one, and, it's already paid for :)

Back