Painting white steel, looking for suggestions

Matthewd5

Hello.

I just got a new DPM "gold kit" that is a feed and seed building and a farming implements...

It's loaded, it has 4 John Deere tractors, two combines and several dozen small props that are white steel and I have no experience painting this stuff!

I'm in N Scale and using an airbrush for 99% of my painting.

Any tips, advice or past experience with this sort of painting/modeling would be greatly appreciated!

Matthew

The "white steel" props are probably zamac castings. You could just go ahead and paint them as you desire, or use a primer on them first.

My practice has always been to prime the object first if metal.

The "white steel" props are probably zamac castings. You could just go ahead and paint them as you desire, or use a primer on them first.

My practice has always been to prime the object first if metal.

Thank you

What's best way to get rid of rough edges on castings? File or fine sandpaper?

Matthew

Matthew, a set of jewelers files are good for flash removal. A set has 8 or 10 variuos shapes and should get you into even the tiniest crevices. In some areas a piece of 400 grit emery cloth might work better. Zinc chromate primer works as does any other metal primer you can run through your airbrush. Something I always do is to soak the castings in white vinegar for about 1/2 hour and then rinse with clean warm water. The vinegar is mildly acidic and will both clean and slightly etch the metal so the primer will bond better. Don't worry, it won't damage any fine details.

Thank you for the tips, I have the jewelers files but the bath thing is a great tip I've never heard before

Matthew

I also use a fine grade sanding sponge you can pick them up at Lowe's or home Depot,I use them to remove any molding lines,also if you have a John Deere dealer near you,pick up a spray can of JD green paint.I shoot it into a papercup then thur the airbrush looks great JD green is also a close dead ringer for BN green.
N

Back