Search results

1. T

Too much mountain

Exactly how dangerous is using a reverse loop connection with insulated joiners? Reverseing the train up a 4% grade to change loops is possible? The set is one switch on a level spot on the outer loop to a 2nd switch on the small loop level spot. No way to change the mts. glued down.
  2. T

Too much mountain

Got way to much mountains. The risers and the mts. are the entire train set. The one flat spot tp change from the inner loop to outer loop has one set of switches. The train must reverse uphill to go back to the outer loop from the inner loop. Everything is glued down. The local Hobby Shop...
  3. T

Homemade plaster cloth

The Woodland plaster cloth left a rough finish on the top of the Woodland foam risers. May use sticky drywall tape to finish the rest. I tested on a spare piece of riser and worked well, a smooth finish. This is not the usual finish on the foam risers, but I am good with a taping knife, so try...
  4. T

The D&J Railroad -- From Scratch

What about using steel studs for the framing of the layouts? Then plywood on top for tracks? Steel studs used in office buildings works.
  5. T

Spring Training Has Begun!

Living in Great Falls, MT years back watched the Great Falls Dodgers Pioneer league play. Good games with local small city fun, cold beer in big cups, good hot dogs, 50-50 tickets, great crowd. A few players made the big game with LA Dodgers, Cubs other teams. We had 2 players stay with us for...
  6. T

Spring Training Has Begun!

Is Cricket the game where it is ok to fall asleep? And stop the game for tea? Is tea break the same as 7th inning stretch? Just kidding. Go Yankees! Us kids went to Yankee games and one game the loud speaker said " all you fans come and sit behind home plate for TV" Or something like that. We...
  7. T

The D&J Railroad -- From Scratch

Need to ask about the wood risers or slopes up and down. Is there a step by step guide,book available? Now using Woodland foam risers and have trouble with the end section ends "peaking" at 3 inches height causing a bad fit to the track ends of trestles. Various wood shims aren't working under...
  8. T

Any Connection Between (Your) Age and Choice of N or HO?

Is Z scale smaller, tiny even more than N? Have HO on the layout and will stay with it. I have not seen Z scale, do I need a magnify glass to see it?
  9. T

How do you handle bug control in the basement?

Try TERRO Spider and insect traps. They work here on spiders and almost everything else. The traps are non-toxic and easy to trash once full of spiders. Home Depot and lowes have em.
  10. T

Coffee Shop XXXVIII-7/20/2013

In northwest mts of Montana with forest fire smoke from Idaho and a orange, red sun. Montana has small fires so far this year, we needed the fires where they burned and rain put out fires the next day. On the train set, the new Bachman diesel loco is a failure. On the 2% slope pulling 6 cars the...
  11. T

Am I the only one....

We have Woodland styrofoam risers gone wild. The whole layout is 3" risers double tracked code 100 HO on foam track bed. Two to 3 inch wide slots or ditches or canyons between. What a mess, runaway trains on down hills then back up again. This happened fast, quick setting glue and too much fun...
  12. T

Woodchip gons?

Hobby Land in Great Falls, MT has some wood chip cars.Phone 406-453-3131. They don't check the e-mail. Address: 820 Central Ave, GF,
  13. T

Fixing a rubber rock mold

Spray the inside of the rubber mold before casting with 50/50 mix of dish soap and water. The casting will pop out easily. I use deep molds with no troubles.
  14. T

Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

We have a big lawn and Patti has the flowers and trees. One of these days I need a lawn tractor or mow the lawn over 2 days with the noisy smokey push mower. And Patti says the push mower keeps me in shape. The lawn was fertilized last fall and will be again this spring. Oh boy what have I done...
  15. T

wood piers, risers

Used Atlas plastic piers and Woodland scenic foam risers and dislike both. Is a plan for wooden risers cut from stock wood available? I have machine tools and good skills. The net has layout plans but no dimensions for the piers and sheet stock cuts for the track bed. Replaced a straight run of...
  16. T

Carstens Publishing and RMC

The Post Office reported they were slowing down the mail. Some postal sorting locations were closing. The magazines late arriving mixed up with closing? What if the mags were Fed Ex?
  17. T

Carstens Publishing and RMC

Gazzette photos Fantastic photos of the narrow gauge railroad. But guys, I just started model trains after 30 years away chasing a career. Now with grandkids and we can't figure the colors to paint our mountains. You know, Krylon spray or water colors brushes. The kids have these little paint...
  18. T

Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

New here and new to model railroading. Trying to build a model railroad here in the Rocky Mtns. Beautiful layouts all over the internet and here! Some family news, Sandy hit NJ hard where my family lives. My son is sailing west on the Atlantic, was detoured south toward Florida. He phoned the...
  19. T

Attaching Plaster Castings to Extruded Foam

Use Aleene's glue, buy at Walmart or any craft store. The plaster rock casts from Western Scenics. The foam board is blue insulation board, the foam board at craft stores has too much texture. Aleen's Turbo glue dries fast, slower dry glue is regular. Also use the same glue for foam track bed...

Back