Search results

1. T

Critique request, Adapted Iain Rice 'Coalport'

Hi. Me again. With another one of these... So, the layout of Iain Rice's 'Coalport, Maryland, 1941' intrigued me. A seaside reversing loop. The big problem is that there is no way to have believable modern-era carfloat or dockside ops inside the loop. So, I did the next best thing and just kept...
  2. T

Removing Testors Dullcoat, paint underneath?

I'm looking at an item on Evil Bay, an Athearn SE set that I've wanted for awhile. It has been weathered though. The seller tells me that it's with chalk and testors dullcoat. How do I remove the dullcoat without damaging the paint and lettering underneath? Or will the rolling stock be like...
  3. T

A tale of two shelves

Or at least what may be. I have two 1x8 switching layout plans adapted from ones seen in the Small Layout Scrapbook and am liking each equally, but for differing reasons. I have taken the 1x6 originals and lengthened them by two feet, mainly so #6 turnouts can be used and to give more room for...
  4. T

Walthers HO concrete grain elevator, dimensions?

I'm talking about more specific than overall footprint. I'm really liking a 1x8' shelf switcher I'm designing, and the layout is small and cheap enough that I may actually pull the trigger on this one. The main structure though is a Walthers concrete grain elevator. To finalize the plan and/or...
  5. T

Critique please, bedroom switching layout plan

So, I'll soon have my room back to myself. Realizing the potential, I took a tape measure to it and was delighted to find that it is slightly larger than the room I tried to build my last layout in. So, I'm increasing the likelihood of getting this one to operational status. I've compiled a list...
  6. T

Playing around with SCARM

And I tried adapting Ian Rice's 'Mount Galena Mines Railroad' into something that would work with modern rolling stock on sectional track (while still being all on 1 sheet of 4x8 plywood). The 3D view of SCARM really helps visualize how a plan is going to look when executed and so far the idea...
  7. T

'modern' equipment?

I'm not sure if I'll be building a layout anytime soon, but I'm going to buy some rolling stock, if for no other reason than to build kits for the nostalgia factor. Naturally, I don't want to buy anything I won't eventually use, even if I won't use it soon. Are the older 40' Airslide hoppers...
  8. T

Hey all! (the bug bitten again?)

Greetings! After seeing James May's 'Toy Stories' on the train set, it sort of nudged me to go through my old train stuff. Well, not 'really' old. I stopped being into trains about 5 years ago (22 now). And first off, I think I'm alot like James May in that I'm not so much a 'model...

Back