Search results

1. Night Train

How often do you lubricate your locos?

I have a mix of Atlas and Kato locos. They are relatively new...bought my first one a couple of years ago and my newest ones 2 weeks ago. At what point should I put a little lubricant on those little gears at the bottom of the wheels? I run my locos fairly often...I operate them all at least 2...
  2. Night Train

Digitrax and MRC working together?

I have the MRC Prodigy Express system for my layout and am contemplating getting a loco with a Digitrax decoder installed. Will that work?
  3. Night Train

Opinions on the Bachmann N Scale Spectrum CHESAPEAKE & OHIO 2-6-6-2 Steam Locomotive

Anybody have experience with the Bachmann N Scale Spectrum CHESAPEAKE & OHIO 2-6-6-2 Steam Locomotive? I'd like to have at least one steam loco for my layout just because and this one is available. Is it reliable? Does it run smoothly? Your thoughts please. Also.....what are your opinions...
  4. Night Train

How do you restore factory settings for Kato locomotive using MRC DCC?

What are the proper CV#'s for restoring factory settings on my Kato loco using MRC DCC ? Thanks in advance.
  5. Night Train

Need a Quick Answer...DCC on DC track....

Will a DCC equipped loco run on standard DC power?
  6. Night Train

Need a Quick Answer...DCC on DC track....

Will a locomotive with DCC on board run on a track powered by conventional DC power?
  7. Night Train

Total Landscape Noobie here...1st step??

F I n a l l y got all of my track work done and everything runs perfectly on all parts of my layout. I can reliably run my trains with no derailments or other track related problems. Whew! Now I'm looking at starting to add some scenery to the whole thing and am wondering about the first step...
  8. Night Train

Decoder Installation .... Aaarghhhhh!!

Got a new loco....a Kato AC4400CW unit and the matching MRC decoder. It does "drop in" as advertised. Easy enough. Took it to my layout, programmed the road number, works like a charm. Until.... i put the body back on, went to run it again, and...nothing. Removed the body and saw that the...
  9. Night Train

Steel wheels on rolling stock...Who makes 'em?

Which manufacturers besides Kato use steel wheels instead of plastic? I've very pleased with the steel wheels on the Kato rolling stock I've purchased so far and intend to only purchase that kind from now on. I'm just not sure which manufacturers sell them. Thanks for any advice.
  10. Night Train

True Confessions

Well... I'd been building my layout and had all the track in place and ready to go. I'd run some Atlas locos and they seemed to do fine without derailing. Then I bought my first Kato locos....the A-B-A Union Pacific locos that go with the City of Los Angeles 11-car passenger cars. The first...
  11. Night Train

I know it can't be this easy, but it worked...Running locos together...

I decided to try and operate 2 locomotives together this evening so I took my two newest Atlas with decoders, put 'em on the same track, gave 'em both the same code, and ran 'em. I was able to pull quite a long (for me) line of tankers, boxcars, intermodal units, and hopper cars up some grades...
  12. Night Train

Converting old locos to run with DCC...

Is it possible to add DCC to my old locomotives? They are by no means DCC ready as I've had them for at least 27 years. Is it worth it? How difficult is it? Anybody here ever do that? Does it take an electrical/mechanical expert to do this?
  13. Night Train

Wiring the bus....One Way or Round Trip?

Wiring the layout, just finished installing the 14 gauge bus wires. I can either end the bus at a terminal (the one way trip) or I can end the bus back at the transformer (the round trip)...the Prodigy Express DCC transformer. Which works best? Any advantages one way or another?
  14. Night Train

Is 18 gauge wire sufficient for N scale layout?

Planning to use 18 gauge solid for my bus and track connectors. Going to have at least 10 track connections going on. Will run no more than 3 locos on layout. Layout is the Philly-Reading...13 foot x 6 foot layout using Prodigy Express DCC. Yea or Nay?
  15. Night Train

Soldering rail connectors...good idea?

Is it a good idea to solder rail joiners to the track? Is this commonly done? What are the advantages/disadvantages? i just finished the wiring to my switches and soldering the wires together from the switch machines to the wire to the switch controllers and I'm on a soldering roll, so to...
  16. Night Train

Am I the only one....

Am I the only one who is happy with the bare-bones layout...no scenery, no nothing except a fully functional layout where everything works? Trains run smoothly, DCC system works great, etc. etc., but it's just the benchwork, trackwork, DCC, and not much more. It's the Philadelphia Reading...
  17. Night Train

Highest Quality Rolling Stock...

I'm at the point where I'm going to be buying rolling stock for my new layout soon. I want to get quality merchandise and am wondering what brands should I look at and which to avoid. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed.
  18. Night Train

Anybody have experience using Digitrax stationary decoders with the Prodigy Wireless?

Now that I'm finished (thanks to this forum!) wiring my layout, I'm looking to control my switches through my handheld wireless Prodigy. I'm looking at a Digitrax stationary decoder for Atlas snap switches. Are they compatible (the Digitrax and Prodigy)? Thanks in advance!
  19. Night Train

Need help on figuring out a reversing section inside a pair of reversing loops...

I posted this in the N scale section since that's what I'm working on...figured I might get more responses in this section so I posted this here as well... OK...I got the reverse loops all figured out and running very smoothly on my DCC wired system. Now, I'm trying to make sense of a reversing...
  20. Night Train

Question about shifting polarities between return loops...illustration included...

OK...I got the reverse loops all figured out and running very smoothly on my DCC wired system. Now, I'm trying to make sense of a reversing section within the section between those loops. My layout is a bit more complicated than my illustration below, but for all practical purposes it all...

Back