Wiring the bus....One Way or Round Trip?

Night Train

Wiring the layout, just finished installing the 14 gauge bus wires. I can either end the bus at a terminal (the one way trip) or I can end the bus back at the transformer (the round trip)...the Prodigy Express DCC transformer.

Which works best? Any advantages one way or another?

You'll generally want to aboid looping your bus on itself, especially with DCC. The primary reason is that doing so can potentially corrupt the DCC signal, especially for longer loops. Think of a DCC signal (basically an electrical pulse) leaving the command station and traveling simultaneously along both sides of the loop. Now if a decoder is anywhere along that loop other than at the exact furthest point, it'll actually receive the same DCC signal (i.e. command) twice, but at slightly different times. Once over the shorter side of the loop, and again over the longer side, a minute fraction of time later. The longer the loop, the longer the fraction of time, the higher the chance that the DCC pulse will step on itself and one or more zeroes will turn into ones or viceversa, corrupting the signal.

I should have mentioned while you don't want loops you can have multiple buses from the command station to different sections of your layout. For example let's assume you have a long, thin layout and your command station is located in the middle. It would be fine to have a bus running the length of the layout but have the command station connect into the middle of the bus, in effect, giving you two buses, one to the left, one to the right.

You can also break up your layout into sections (with insulating gaps) and use boosters or circuit breakers to power/protect each section. On my layout I have six sections, four are protected with breakers, two (the reverse loops) are protected/controlled with auto-reversing breakers. The whole layout is powered with one command station (Digitrax DCS200).

Thanks for your follow-up. I'm was just about to go down to the layout and start to finalize the bus.

I'm guessing that the shorter the bus, the more efficient and reliable the power to the tracks so that 2 short buses are better than one long one.

This is all very interesting and thanks to this great forum, I'm learning quite a lot that I'm sure will help my trains run more smoothly and reliably.

You don't want to get carried away. If your layout was only 4' by 4' it wouldn't really help to have two 2' buses instead of one 4' bus. It wouldn't hurt but there is no reason to do it. On the other hand if the layout was 4' by 40' I would have two 20' buses.

It's about 13 x 6 so I'm going to run 2 separate 13 foot buses. May not make much difference, but since I'm at the point where I can go either way with no additional problems, I might as well do it the better way.

Back