Question about shifting polarities between return loops...illustration included...

Night Train

OK...I got the reverse loops all figured out and running very smoothly on my DCC wired system. Now, I'm trying to make sense of a reversing section within the section between those loops.

My layout is a bit more complicated than my illustration below, but for all practical purposes it all boils down to this:

layout723%2520copy.jpg

Right now, everything runs very smoothly. I just cannot use connector tracks illustrated by the green arrows without it shorting out. They are, I guess, reversing sections within opposite reversing loops.

What do I need so that I can use those sections? Anybody have experience dealing with something like this? Any ideas or suggestion welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long are the connector tracks? If they are long enough to hold a train, but gaps next to the turnouts at each end and add a reversing module to each section. This would be the best solution.

If the "connector tracks" are not long enough to hold a train, it gets more complicated. You would need to eliminate the gaps in the left "connector track" and switch the feeders on either the upper or lower section so the center section of the layout is one block. Add a gap at the right hand side of the 3rd turnout counting from the upper left. Also add a gap on the left hand side of the straight side of the 4th turnout. You would also need to add a reversing module. In effect you should end up with 3 reversing loops, the current two plus the one in the upper right of the plan.

Sorry for the complicated answer. If it is not clear, ask more questions!

Glenn

How long are the connector tracks? If they are long enough to hold a train, but gaps next to the turnouts at each end and add a reversing module to each section. This would be the best solution.

If the "connector tracks" are not long enough to hold a train, it gets more complicated. You would need to eliminate the gaps in the left "connector track" and switch the feeders on either the upper or lower section so the center section of the layout is one block. Add a gap at the right hand side of the 3rd turnout counting from the upper left. Also add a gap on the left hand side of the straight side of the 4th turnout. You would also need to add a reversing module. In effect you should end up with 3 reversing loops, the current two plus the one in the upper right of the plan.

Sorry for the complicated answer. If it is not clear, ask more questions!

Glenn
Thanks for your response.

The 'connector tracks' are very short. Here's a better illustration which may help clarify my problem:
tracksections2.jpg

As I said before, everything runs perfectly as long as I don't try to run through the short connector tracks where the gaps are. The layout would be just fine without those connections, but it'd be a lot more interesting with more route options if I can figure this out.

That's a double slip-switch...not a simple crossover...there in the middle.

Thanks again for any help/suggestions on how to wire this section of track.

Even without the double-slip switch I think this will be very difficult to do effectively. Exactly how short are the connector tracks? Is it just two turnouts connected directly to eachother or is there track inbetween the diverging routes?

Even without the double-slip switch I think this will be very difficult to do effectively. Exactly how short are the connector tracks? Is it just two turnouts connected directly to eachother or is there track inbetween the diverging routes?
Those connectors are just two turnouts connected directly to each other.

Hmm...I'm having trouble visualising Glenn's solution now that you've posted the extra diagram. :confused: :p I think having such a short distance (ie- none) between the turnouts is what will do you in as even a single large diesel could potentially be crossing both ends of a loop at the same time, depending on the length/radius of the turnouts used. That said you're talking to a guy who's managed to create shorts without any reverse loops, so perhaps wait until Glenn or someone else who knows what they're doing chimes in. :p

For the sake of clarity, I've illustrated below the entire layout (not to scale) which shows the relative locations of the 2 end reversing sections and the problem reversing portion in the middle.

This is based on the Philadelphia Reading layout I built from the old 101 Track Plans book. I like long runs and would really like to use those connecting sections in order to add a lot more interest to the routing of my trains.

wholelayout.jpg

Okay, looking at the new diagram, you need to add gaps to the 3 places the connecting tracks attach to the top track. The problem is the section between the gaps must be longer than your longer engine lashup AND you must use plastic wheels for your rolling stock.

The better solution will be to remove the 2 gaps on the connecting tracks and gap the left hand side of the layout.

Glenn

PS if you decide on solution 1, I can make you a great deal on MT pizza cutter plastic wheel sets. LOL

it's not clear what section of track is being reversed when the green cross-overs trigger the reverser.

don't you need each side of the cross-overs to be separate blocks? wouldn't adding gaps to the curve on the top right side create separate blocks so that the polarity on either the cross-overs or the curve are correct (no need for plastic wheels)?

in post #7 diagram, gaps in the left hand curve would do the same, split the center section into 2 blocks than can be reversed

greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem solved!!

Thanks to your ideas and suggestions, my railroad is now running properly using those 'connector' tracks along with the rest of the tracks. I now can run some very interesting routes along that portion of my layout.

The solution was to install a reversing module on the left-hand side of the illustration (post #7) where that turn is located. That, along with the existing gaps, formed the 3rd reverse loop of my layout. It all works now.

Thanks so much for your replies and suggestions! Is this a great forum or what?

Back