Search results

1. 2002p51

Upgrade your uncoupling tool.

A lot of us use thin wooden skewers to uncouple cars, myself included. But, for me anyway, they never seemed to be where I needed them, they were always falling on the floor, etc., etc. So, the other day I made these. A few inches of wooden doweling, a few inches of skewer glued into a hole...
  2. 2002p51

Frog Juicer as Auto Reverser.

Look at this sketch. This is a 3-track staging and reverse loop I'm planning. If I gap the rails where the red marks are, and connect the Dual Frog Juicer where indicated in green, will it handle the auto polarity reversing for all three tracks? Keep in mind this is a one operator railroad...
  3. 2002p51

SP Section House

I needed something to fill an empty space on my layout and a section house seemed like it would be just right. I found an image of a Cotton Belt section house that once stood in El Paso, TX. It was not my intention to build this exactly but I used it for inspiration to build my own...
  4. 2002p51

On a lighter note, has this ever happened to you?

Late last week we were having some trouble with our cable TV service. So the cable guy comes out (It wasn't Larry.) and he needs to go in the basement to check the connections to the modem, etc. So, he sees the layout down there and says; "Nice train set." What? Train set? Does this look like...
  5. 2002p51

What's the Correct Era for These SP Cars?

What is the correct era for these Southern Pacific passenger cars?
  6. 2002p51

Southern Pacific Coast Line in HO

Those of you who have been following my thread on the N&W Abingdon Branch know that I have demolished that layout and started a new one. I won’t go into all of the reasons here but if you’re interested you can read it on that thread. The new layout will depict the Southern Pacific Coast Line...
  7. 2002p51

Question about a brass 4-6-2

Does anybody have an idea if a brass 4-6-2 locomotive will work on 18" radius curves?
  8. 2002p51

More scenery improvements

Here are a couple of "before" photos: This is the west end of the layout where the tracks curve around and go through the backdrop into staging. The branch also goes through the back drop. And here's what that area looks like today: Still a lot more to do, that reddish brown area on...
  9. 2002p51

Amazing what a little scenery can do!

I shot this photo a couple of weeks ago: And here's the same scene today: It really is amazing what a little scenery can do! Obviously there's still a lot more to do but I'm pleased with the progress so far. :)
  10. 2002p51

New control panel

I just finished making a new control panel.
  11. 2002p51

N&W Abingdon Branch

Actually the more accurate name for my layout should be the BP&U; "Bare Plywood & Unsceniced". The benchwork and track work is all done and I've been running trains for a few weeks to make sure everything works and is as it should be before I start on any scenery. There was a poll on another...
  12. 2002p51

Mth union pacific 4-12-2 steam locomotive

I didn't want to hijack blackz28' thread so I'm asking this in a separate post. His post was about an MTH UP 4-12-2 steam locomotive that he found on eBay. In the product description, MTH claims that this locomotive will operate on 18" radius curves. Is this really possible for something with a...
  13. 2002p51

Planning a staging/fiddle yard

I have made some room next to my existing layout for a much needed staging/fiddle yard. Here's a sketch of what I think it will be. As you can see it will be 2' x 12' and connect with the existing layout at either end. Since this will also be a "fiddle" yard for adding and removing cars from...
  14. 2002p51

First train

Okay, just for a little Christmas fun, this is me Christmas of 1958. I was 11 and got my first train. Now it's your turn. Let's see what you got! Your first train, your first Christmas, your current "Christmas Train", whatever. Post 'em up!
  15. 2002p51

Now this is customer service!

Back on December 4th I placed on on-line order for 3 decal sheets from Microscale. Here on the 20th, they still have not arrived, so I sent an e-mail to Microscale asking for status on my order. Not 5 minutes later I got a phone call from Rachel at Microscale. She assured me they mailed my...
  16. 2002p51

Disassembling Proto 2000 shell?

I have a Proto 2000 GP-7 that I bought on eBay. I'd like to repaint it and I'm looking at what it will take to disassemble it for painting. It appears that a lot of it is glued together. Anybody have any experience with taking one of these things apart? Is there a source for undecorated shells?

Back