N&W Abingdon Branch

2002p51

Actually the more accurate name for my layout should be the BP&U; "Bare Plywood & Unsceniced". The benchwork and track work is all done and I've been running trains for a few weeks to make sure everything works and is as it should be before I start on any scenery.

There was a poll on another thread asking whose building prototype, freelance, or some variation on the two. This layout could be called proto-lanced, or free-type or something. I think that best way to describe it is that it's loosely based on the N&W's Abingdon Branch in the mid fifties. "Loosely" being the keyword here. While I'm using N&W equipment and actual place names, I'm making no attempt to model actual structures and track arrangements, etc. So don't anybody throw rocks at me for taking some severe modeler's license with much of this layout.

So, without further ado, let's check out some photos. :)

0202001-vi.jpg

This is a very old Athearn switcher that used to be painted for the Southern Pacific. I added a Cannon thin wall cab, re-painted it and used Microscale decals.

0202005-vi.jpg

I found this pair of Proto 2000 GP9s on eBay. I replaced the typical split gears on all four axles of both units and now they run beautifully. (That upper track is the "Abingdon Branch")

0202007-vi.jpg

Here they are pulling an 18 car coal drag through Abingdon. The hoppers are a mix of Accurail and Atlas. Most are lettered for N&W, but there are a few other roads in there as well.

0202002-vi.jpg

This feed and seed dealer is a survivor from an earlier layout and was completely scratchbuilt using mostly Evergreen styrene.

layout002-vi.jpg

I like to create little scenes and so there's a lot going on down at the local Dixie gas. The '53 Chevy is needing new wheel bearings while the '56 Ford on the rack is in for it's first lube job. It's owner can be seen in the office getting ready to pay the bill. Back outside the guys are checking out Billy's new jalopy while the race car must wait for closing time to get worked on before next Saturday's race. :)

0202009-vi.jpg

Back on the railroad, a couple of local freights meet at Abingdon. Being an old school guy I use DC block control with dual cabs. Although it's unlikely to ever happen, this layout will support two operators running trains simultaneously.

0202010-vi.jpg

The main layout is 4' x 12' and behind that is this 2' x 12' staging/fiddle yard. This represents Roanoke, Va and points east on one side, and Bristol, VA and points west on the other. There is one through track for continuous running.

0202011-vi.jpg

Here's the "Virginia Creeper" heading up the branch from Abingdon. The main curving behind the branch is the approach to staging.

0202012-vi.jpg

Continuing up the branch above and behind Abingdon. Just a little further up there may be station stop at Alvarado. I haven't fully decided on that yet.

0202013-vi.jpg

Rounding the bend at the top of the grade. Like most of the rolling stock on the layout, these two box cars have been re-painted by me and lettered with Microscale decals.

0202014-vi.jpg

The train arrives in what will eventually be Damascus, VA. The buildings here right now are just place holders. I'm still not completely sure how this scene will eventually look. But I know that I want at least three or four customers for the railroad up here.

0202015-vi.jpg

This is the end of the branch for now. The stock pen is an inexpensive Model Power kit that I modified to fit the space. In the next phase, the track the train is on now will extend out another foot or two before swinging 180 degrees to be above the staging yard. There will be another station stop at Green Cove and then the branch will terminate in a return loop and head back down to Abingdon.

And that's it so far. Hope you enjoyed my little photo tour. I welcome comments and critiques but, like I said, this is only loosely based on the famous "Virginia Creeper" so cut me a little slack for that. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it! Great photos and your scenes have so much potential! I cannot wait to see more! Do you have a trackplan you can post? My layout is pretty much at the same stage as yours. Seeing all your great work has motivated me to get back to mine :)

Looks great so far!
What track and switches are you using?
I'd like to see a track plan too...

Here's the track plan"

plan-vi.jpg

Most of the track and turnouts are recycled from a previous layout and consist of Atlas code 100 flextrack and #4 Shinohara turnouts.

The staging/fiddle yard is all new Atlas flextrack with Walthers/Shinohara #6 turnouts.

I have access on three sides. The staging yard is against a wall. There are control panels at Abingdon, Damascas, and at staging. The main throttle is an MRC Control Master 20 with walkaround memory throttle. The second throttle is a Varipulse walkaround conversion on an old Tech II power pack. Both throttles can control the entire layout.

And as I said previously, the track through Damascas will eventually continue around to a return loop or a wye above the staging yard. I haven't even really started thinking about that yet.

Is that 3/4" ply?? Isn't that overkill?

Yes, 3/4" plywood. Overkill? Possibly. But, it's not a portable layout or a module so weight isn't a factor. Plus it's in a non-climate controlled basement so it must withstand somewhat of a temperature and humidity swing without warping or moving around.

I have 3/4" plywood under parts of my garage layout too, definitely didn't consider it overkill at the time I put it in!

We drive near Abingdon every summer on I-81 when we're going to - and from - visting relatives in Alabama. I'll remember this thread next time we see the exit signs :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus it's in a non-climate controlled basement so it must withstand somewhat of a temperature and humidity swing without warping or moving around.
Wouldn't 1/2" or at most 5/8" be enough if supported properly? I see you just have cork roadbed above the ply. Does that still apply if you have rigid foamboard above the plywood?

Wouldn't 1/2" or at most 5/8" be enough if supported properly? I see you just have cork roadbed above the ply. Does that still apply if you have rigid foamboard above the plywood?

Well, something thinner might have worked just as well, but this was also the best price at my local Home Depot. The budget is very, very important. :)

As far as rigid foam board, I have no experience with the stuff, so I can't answer that.

The bottom line is this material has worked out well for me so far and I'm very satisfied with the results.

I like what one well known model railroader answered when asked about his plywood choice...

"Why did I use 3/4" plywood? Because I couldn't get 1" plywood."

I like what one well known model railroader answered when asked about his plywood choice...

"Why did I use 3/4" plywood? Because I couldn't get 1" plywood."

Back in the "old days" the nice folks at Kalmbach in their layout books recommended no less than 3/4" plywood on HO & O gauge layouts. N scale wasn't yet available, with TT gauge just becoming a viable competitor to HO.

I used 1/2 inch plywood an 1/2 inch Homosote over it screwed over as the base for my code 83 track n turnouts. The multitude of screws and such made the base pretty strong, AND not gonna sag, or warp over time. It's in the 'main house' area and benefits from the AC and heat to keep it w/in a 7 degree temp and 10 % humidity envelope. This also keeps the track from expanding and contracting too much. A lesson I learned with a layout under a sundeck shed, when the track expanded too much and caused multiple derailments.

that gas station looks familar, did you by any chance scratchbuild that from plans in a mid 90's MR?

Haven't added to this post in a while. I've made some scenery progress so I thought I'd do a quick update.

061403-vi.jpg

061404-vi.jpg

061402-vi.jpg

Wow, very nicely done. If I wouldn't be doing the D&H the N&W was my second choice. The scenery is great. Please keep the updates coming!

Haven't added to this post in a while. I've made some scenery progress so I thought I'd do a quick update.

061403-vi.jpg

Nice layout! You have done a very nice job with the scenery and the back drop is bang on in this shot. Very nice!:cool: What brand is the Alco in this shot?

Back