Search results

1. C

Hi Folks, from the Sharpnack LTD

Hi everyone, My name is Charlie and I have a model railroad I call "The Sharpnack Limited". Its set in the (made-up) western PA town of Sharpnack, with a touch of Harper's Ferry scenery mixed in, focusing on an evening scene with lots of lights and twilight sky effects. I run O gauge, On30...
  2. C

0-6-0 Mantua Classics Yard Goat - running choppy

in addition Loosening that screw, putting a very slight wedge under the motor, and lubing it, improved performance 200%. Has a nice crawl at slow speeds now. Excellent suggestions everyone.
  3. C

Sorry took me a day or two to respond. I did put in the 9 pin decoder... I dont have the part number readily available, but I will say it was not Digitrax and it was way too big (1 1/2" long!). Right now the tender is actually riding up 1/8" because I cant get it down any further. Bummed...
  4. C

DCC - Do I need two auto-reversers or only one?

thanks! the link helps; i will study and get back
  5. C

Thanks for the response, but problem is: those exact locations are bachmann crossover pieces that have an electrified frog for my smalller wheelbase engine. I cant isolate there as there is nowhere to put the joiners, its all one piece. I will check out the link. I had thought moving to...
  6. C

See attached. In this DCC layout, I think I have the location of the insulation joiners correct (correct me if i am wrong) but Im not sure 1) if i have autoreverser in right spot and 2) if I need 2. Thoughts please! Thanks! Charlie
  7. C

HO Bachmann 2-8-0 Question: Explorer vs. Ala carte

Hi, Quick and probably easy question, but I cant seem to get the info online. Does anyone know if the 2-8-0 that comes in the Explorer set: http://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Spectrum-Explorer-Scale-Santa/dp/B000BKVQ4S is the same 2-8-0 that can be purchased ala carte...
  8. C

Not your average 4x8

that is funny! Great shot
  9. C

Strasburg vs. Real Short Lines

Thanks everyone, this has been a really interesting group of responses. This is making me actually think of modeling the Strasburg... or a reasonable facsimile. @ Strasburg Nut. I like the "ghost train".... thats going to be in my layout ...
  10. C

Forced Persepective - N and HO

I just tried a mockup last night and I think Im onto a winner here, this should work. The key is: View the N scale from below . I am going to mount the layout at eye level so that the HO train set in the fore will be seen at eye level, and then N scale will be 8" above that. I am going...
  11. C

Strasburg vs. Real Short Lines

HI everyone Question - I am a beleiver in modeling "what you know." I happen to know a lot about the Strasburg Railroad, a heritage short-line railroad in Lancaster County (many of you I am sure know it). I have been there like 100 times. My question is this. The Strasburg as it...
  12. C

Forced Persepective - N and HO

Hi I am still planning my layout and I am wondering about something: I happen to like both HO and N scales for different reasons. I am thinking of combining the two in a "forced perspective" arrangement where I have the N as the "far off" the HO as the foreground. My strategy right now...
  13. C

Pretty sure I bought the wrong one

Wow I never realized there was so much negative feeling towards smoking engines. To each his own I guess. Anyway, I concur you got a nice loco. Congrats.
  14. C

MTH Ho Trains

I can see both sides here. I tend to be a "newbie" at fixing stuff ...so while I am ready and willing to enter the learning curve, I am a little hesitant to start tinkering with something that cost me $450. I think thats part of the hesitation with me. Perhaps thats the problem with buying...
  15. C

Scenic Ridge Conversion to a Clinchfield Model

Hi everyone. I started a thread on my new HO layout in this same section but I am also thinking about future projects. I was inspired by Gordon Odegard's N scale Clinchfield layout from 1978 and would love to model this fascinating railroad in N guage someday. To my eye, I already have a N...
  16. C

My first original layout, feedback please!

Thanks everyone, this is all fantastic feedback. I really appreciate it. I think I need a little time to digest this all ... but I do have the following responses so far: 1) I'd like a "display layout" primarily, but with a little bit of operations. As stated previously I am still...
  17. C

MTH Ho Trains

I have the MTH Light Mikado. I have problems with the pilot derailing, too. Some of it may be me but its good to know I am not alone. I love the looks, sound and smoke of this engine tho. Is there a way it can be adjusted to not derail? If it is too light, or too tight, couldnt one adjust...
  18. C

My first original layout, feedback please!

Exactly the kind of feedback i was hoping for, thanks RWC. Not torn apart at all, keep those comments coming! All great observations, I was wondering if it was maybe too "mainline-y". You're correct that has the potential to get old fast. I should mention that the N scale layout I completed...
  19. C

Update: I tried loosening that screw, putting a very slight wedge under the motor, and lubed it. Seems to be running much better tonight. We'll see how its doing tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the help, its def running better.

Back