Not your average 4x8

Prime12

8970.1207890491.jpg

Full link here

I didn't even imagine that such configuration even existed :eek:.

Neat :)

I don't see an 'exit track'. Would the process be to remove the FRED, uncouple the locos from the cars, move forward to the end of the train and recouple the locos and attach the FRED to the new end, and head back where they came from? Has to be one of the easiest train turn-arounds ever.
________
OREGON MEDICAL MARIJUANA

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one long coal drag. My grandson Colton and I just counted and we came up with 125 hoppers. The exit rack is to the left and down from the pond or whatever the white square is. Pretty impressive for sure. I tried to run a train that long on an N scale layout once and the cars kept tipping over form the drag around the curves.

I'm not seeing any exit tracks. I see two tracks that enter from either main, but I suppose a train that long just has the locos switch ends (and directions) to exit the loop.

Bing maps is old too, as it shows the loop and facility under construction (graded, but no track laid).

Maybe I'm missing something but I sure don't see the sense to it other than keeping every-
thing in a somewhat small area.

It gets the train off of the main and keeps it together while unloading. Saves the time breaking up the train and putting it back together. You also don't need separate switchers. Probably uses less space to boot.

I suppose this is a 'least amount of track' solution. They could have gone with a tear-drop shape and not had to mess swapping ends but it would have taken more track.
________
FIX PS3

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat :)

I don't see an 'exit track'. Would the process be to remove the FRED, uncouple the locos from the cars, move forward to the end of the train and recouple the locos and attach the FRED to the new end, and head back where they came from? Has to be one of the easiest train turn-arounds ever.
And now you know how unit trains are turned. If you look at the locomotives, down by the white building, you will notice that the two end units face in opposite directions. That's why.

Back