DCC - Do I need two auto-reversers or only one?

cmcgloughlin

See attached. In this DCC layout, I think I have the location of the insulation joiners correct (correct me if i am wrong) but Im not sure 1) if i have autoreverser in right spot and 2) if I need 2. Thoughts please! Thanks! Charlie

179446_486521468548_680733548_6319003_4767554_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now both images show up!....

See attached. In this DCC layout, I think I have the location of the insulation joiners correct (correct me if i am wrong) but Im not sure

Nope - That won't work..... You need to isolate at the point where the phase (polarity in DC) actually changes - In this case, that would be in the two locations I've highlighted below - When the loco cross from one side to the other you'll get a short as the rails are effectively reversed (the engineer and the fireman "switch sides".)

As to needing one or two, it depends on exactly how you wire it - I think it could be done either way - This should help:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#a43

Cheers,
Ian

Thanks for the response, but problem is: those exact locations are bachmann crossover pieces that have an electrified frog for my smalller wheelbase engine. I cant isolate there as there is nowhere to put the joiners, its all one piece.

I will check out the link. I had thought moving to DCC was going to be easier ...

... those exact locations are bachmann crossover pieces that have an electrified frog for my smalller wheelbase engine....

OK, so how are you (planning on?) reversing the phase of the frog? If you've got that figured, we're home free......

BTW - don't get too frustrated! DCC really is *much* easier - Honest! :)

As to electro frogs "for short locos" I'm (personally - I'm sure there are conflicting views!) convinced they're not required if the track (and loco's) are "good" - Modern multi axle pickups should "see you thru"...... The complexity added by powering the frogs (both ways, automatically) *shouldn't* be worth it IMHO. [More info here; http://www.loystoys.com/peco/about-insulfrog.html]

HTH, cheers,
Ian

I would put two more insulated gaps at the extreme ends of your layout one on each end, like just outside the tunnel. Then you can run both reversing sections off of one reverser and it will work fine unless you have two locos going in or out of the reversed zones at the same time.
If you "flatten out" the drawing of your layout with the reversing zones I recommended separated out, you can see that all the rest of your layout, crossovers, yard, etc, will all be in phase.
Chuck

Back