Search results

1. nwdrummer379

Switching Layout Roadbed Question.

This is a question for anyone else with a switching layout, I just laid all of my track and as I started laying down the foam track bed I thought, do I even need it? My base is homasote which is already a sound deadening material. I'm just not sure if I want that raised roadbed look since I...
  2. nwdrummer379

Atlas Right Track 10.0?

I realize Atlas doesn't offer this freeware anymore and it was a good design software for my simple layout planning since I use Atlas track. I lost the program on my computer, therefore I lost my layout plan.. and I need to make some modifications to it. Does anyone have a "copy" they could...
  3. nwdrummer379

Good Switching layout examples?

Ok, not having a layout to practice my skills on is killing me. Space will be limited, since in the next year I will probably be moving into an apartment. The 4x8 bores me, although it might be a good option. Then I thought.. "I have switchers, I have rolling stock, why not a switching...
  4. nwdrummer379

Wish Me Luck!

This may be the start of something good.. I have an interview for the Brakeman's position with the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway this Saturday. Let's hope I don't mess it up :eek:
  5. nwdrummer379

IHC Passenger Coach Upgrades

I found this one at the bottom of the "stash" of HO cars at a hobby shop about 20 miles away. I figured it would look good with the other phase 3 heritage fleet cars I run so I grabbed it. First off It's light as a feather, so weights are needed. I figured maybe I can just drill a few holes...
  6. nwdrummer379

Decals for Amtrak E8 No. 4316?

Does anyone currently produce decals for the lone E8 that was painted for the press in 1971? (HO Scale) http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtE200/amt4316a.jpg
  7. nwdrummer379

Minimum Radius for 5 Unit spine cars?

This may be a dumb question but.. what's a good minimum radius for HO 5 unit spine cars? I want an intermodal facility on my future layout and if I have limited space, I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of 89' twin 45's that can't handle 22" curves comfortably. -Jeff
  8. nwdrummer379

Athearn BB 89'4" TTX Flat problem.

Hey guys, I had just finished putting together an old blue box 89 foot flat car. When I screwed the truck assembly to the frame (leaving enough space for the truck to swivel side to side) The trucks are still rather wobbly, and when I set this on the track I know it's going to look goofy, may...
  9. nwdrummer379

RailKing 2-8-0 Won't Run

:confused: I'm not an O-Guage guy, but I'm stuck with this MTH steamer and now I found out the thing doesn't run. It was supposed to be sold at an LHS for consignment but when a local O-Guage club tested it out the thing would power up, but not move. The guy testing it had no idea what was...
  10. nwdrummer379

Who uses "Dust Buster"?

After sitting on a shelf for a while, my locomotive collection naturally is a tad dusty. I was wondering how many of you use that air in a can to dust things off, and whether or not it harms anything. -Jeff
  11. nwdrummer379

Function only Decoder: Older Bachmann SD40-2

So guys, here's what I'm dealing with. I want to dummy this older Bachmann engine and install a function only decoder to keep the strobe on the roof going. When I took the shell off here's what it looks like. Is that entire board just for the lights and the strobe? What would be...
  12. nwdrummer379

Best HO metal wheel sets?

I shrunk my rolling stock fleet way down but I'm now starting to build it up again. Most of the new cars I have bought already have metal wheelsets but I also have some kits (Accurail, Athearn, Walthers, and Bowser) That I want to upgrade from plastic to metal wheels. So what would be the best...
  13. nwdrummer379

Painting On Primer?

I have a black undecorated shell that just needs orange on the pilots, since the whole thing is already black (so is the prototype) can I spray some primer into a bowl then paint it on the pilots? Thanks, - Jeff
  14. nwdrummer379

Polly Scale Paint Too Watery?

I'm brushing on some Polly Scale paint and It's a bit too watery to apply an even coat, is there any way to thicken the paint or just apply more than one coat? Thanks fellas - Jeff
  15. nwdrummer379

ABC Railway 1501 Project

I finally got my undecorated SW1500 in the mail today to start the project. Here I'll be posting my progress on the project. I'm going to be very careful with this since It's my first "big" locomotive project. I'd like to get the shell into primer tommorrow, I'm supposed to wash the shell...
  16. nwdrummer379

Wisconsin Central SD40-2

What would be the best choice for a WC SD40-2? I don't see any in production, so If I have to paint and decal one that's totally fine. Any good undecorated models that come close to the WC style? Thanks fellas - Jeff My goal is to make one of these beauties :D
  17. nwdrummer379

Kato SD45 Snoot Nose Carbody Problem

I would like to patch this engine up for the AC&L.. although the snoot nose is bent down as shown in the photo. Is there a way I can bend it back to get her straight again without doing any damage? It's obviously warped or something like that, we got it from a guy who had his trains in boxes...
  18. nwdrummer379

Locomotive Key?

This was given to me by my girlfriend's, grand mother's friend. He is a conductor for BNSF down in Texas and sent this to me knowing that I like trains, kind of as a graduation present. It's made of plastic and when I did an online search only a few other brass examples showed up. Can anyone...
  19. nwdrummer379

Superliner question

I have three Walthers Superliner II cars that I want to re-decal into the "tri-stripe" scheme. My question, is there a big difference in the construction/exterior between Superliner 1 or 2 cars? Or would converting my cars be as easy as throwing new decals on? Thanks guys - Jeff
  20. nwdrummer379

Glass Telephone Pole Insulator Caps?

While out railfanning today a friend and I discovered over a dozen telephone pole insulator caps still mounted in place. We screwed them off with ease after digging the wood base up and came up with 8 glass ones and several plastic ones. The glass ones say "HEMINRAY - 42" So I'm assuming...

Back