IHC Passenger Coach Upgrades

nwdrummer379

Class of '11
I found this one at the bottom of the "stash" of HO cars at a hobby shop about 20 miles away. I figured it would look good with the other phase 3 heritage fleet cars I run so I grabbed it. First off It's light as a feather, so weights are needed. I figured maybe I can just drill a few holes and mount some blue box weights in there from old Athearn kits. Then these wheels look like they'll catch every switch point on they layout so I'm thinking Intermountain 36" wheels for that. Finally a replacement coupler, does Kadee make a good swallow tail coupler replacement?

-Jeff

002-6.jpg

001-4.jpg

Kadee makes a conversion kit for IHC/Rivarossi cars. I've converted a few of the 6 wheel trucks but there is also a conversion for the 4 wheel passenger trucks . It is not as simple as replacing the coupler though, there is some cutting and fitting involved but the final product is well worth it.

KD 505 and KD 508 are made for those cars. 505 does the 6 wheel trucks and 508 does the 4 wheel trucks. Difference is in the length of the coupler box extension. Both use #5 couplers or you could use a #148 whisker in place of the #5. 36 inch wheels are right. I have 7 of the AHM/IHC/Rivarossi heavyweight cars and I used Kadee 36 inch wheels and 505's on all with no problems. Back when I did these Kadee was about the only metal wheelsets available or I might have tried something else.

I'd replace the trucks with Train Station Products (TSP) trucks.

IHC trucks can't handle normal 36 wheels because the brake pads hit the wheels. And the trucks are pretty flimsy. You can't even use a truck tuner tool as it will eat through the side frames.

Adair Shops sells weight upgrades for IHC passenger cars. They add lots of weight but also are super flat so you can still use an interior in the car.

I replaced the trucks on this kitbashed IHC car with TSP trucks and added the Adair Shops weight upgrade. I kept the truck mounted couplers on the TSP trucks and used Kadee #5 couplers. It runs great with no derailment problems.

NzLxB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this one at the bottom of the "stash" of HO cars at a hobby shop about 20 miles away. I figured it would look good with the other phase 3 heritage fleet cars I run so I grabbed it. First off It's light as a feather, so weights are needed. I figured maybe I can just drill a few holes and mount some blue box weights in there from old Athearn kits. Then these wheels look like they'll catch every switch point on they layout so I'm thinking Intermountain 36" wheels for that. Finally a replacement coupler, does Kadee make a good swallow tail coupler replacement?

-Jeff

View attachment 88045
View attachment 88046
This is a 85' Riverossi car which is apparent by the plastic wheels having almost no spacing in the middle, you should look up IHC Hobby now in Texas to get McHenry #52 direct clip-in replacement knuckle couplers MCH-52 and you won't have to modify the
16180944426671493333487.jpg
bogies like you'd have to installing Kadees and use their 31" Metal Wheels #4355.

Just so you know, you're replying to a nine year old thread, and the person that started the thread hasn't logged on since 2013.

Back