Search results

1. G

Basic soldering

Noticed a self-confessed newcomer in another thread confessing that his soldering skills weren't up to his standards -- so he was avoiding some projects. I'm not a trained solderer (if that's a word) but most of my soldering jobs hold together in the long run. Everyone has their own...
  2. G

monster model works??

Monster Model Works is a standout among the laser-cut product manufacturers, with some unique products. He has always shipped very promptly when I ordered direct. MMW is not connected in any way with monsterrailroad and his LED products. Two very different people.
  3. G

Do You Belong to a Model Railroad Club?

"I wouldn't be able to bring along any of my locomotives or rolling stock, as they would short circuit everything..... " That seems to be the purpose of many clubs -- a social center where fans can bring their own trains to run. My uncle's club in Florida had a long-standing low key competition...
  4. G

They aren't being shunned. They're learning about scenery, wiring, etc. But you have to wonder what got them in the door. One guy did say "I didn't know it would be so much work ... " There are other clubs in the area who report the same things. It is a little surprising how long it can take...
  5. G

I belong to a club that is focused on operations, and am kind of amazed at some of our members & applicants -- can't tell a box car from a reefer, have no idea about how and why trains run, aren't active model builders, say the current magazines "don't have anything that interests me" etc etc...
  6. G

We have three (maybe more) clubs-with-layouts within an hour's drive. One is centered on its annual show, one is coasting on a layout built by now-gone members, and the third is focused on monthly operating sessions. All have their own level of internal politicking, but the one with the op...
  7. G

Carstens Publishing and RMC

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh-2013-01-jan
  8. G

Tank Cars

The Atlas 23500-gallon car is pretty representative, if you can find them. The last run was three or four years ago. http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho235tank3.htm
  9. G

Carstens Publishing and RMC

Railroad Model Craftsman posts some articles but doesn't have a forum. The forum at http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/recent-posts is pretty active and they also publish a monthly magazine online. For free.
  10. G

Minimum radius

Good rule of thumb for estimating minimum radius is 3x the distance between the pivot point on the trucks. Unless the manufacturer installed parts that limit the swing of the trucks, anyway.
  11. G

I'm not happy but he is ??

Might try masking the rectangular vents before doing the grime overspray on them. Question is, is the quality at such a level you don't mind your pal telling everyone that you painted them?
  12. G

Done with chalk, anyone know how to do rust?

This article in MRH mentions a rust-producing producing product that was new to me. http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh-2012-03-mar/scrap_metal_gondola
  13. G

rtr or put together?

For example -- this is UP in 1970-75 -- remove running boards, cut down ladders and make some other detail changes to Red Caboose R-70-15 reefers to reflect the era. Athearn's recent GP9 requires relocating the horns, adding a rooftop flasher, and changing the multiple-unit towers on the ends...
  14. G

Long trains and helpers

Thanks for the details. What you're running, really, is closer to what's now called distributed power, instead of helpers that are put on for only part of a trip. Ideally, you want to handle it kind of like two or three trains that happen to be coupled. After your lead units, tag on about 75%...
  15. G

rtr or put together?

My modeling is limited to a specific time and place, so I take what I can get. Kits can save me the trouble of modifying a piece that has already been glued together.
  16. G

Long trains and helpers

Haven't run N but imagine HO is much the same. Are you running all of the locomotives from the same throttle? That only works if your track is pretty much flat. The important thing is to not put too much power on the train -- if all of the locomotives are able to do equal work close to their...
  17. G

What do you do for a living?

Writer, editor & photographer, mostly in newspapers. Previously a letter carrier and Fiat technician.
  18. G

Painting White

50 degrees seems a little cool for painting and could cause a problem. When I painted in my old basement, I started a space heater about an hour before painting to warm the place up and maybe dry the air a little. More than one coat is likely for white. With whites, reds and yellows I...
  19. G

Railroad Model craftsman- Kitbasher award

Glad to hear it. Chasing down checks is the least appealing aspect of freelancing. Try MrHmag.com
  20. G

where do you work?

editor/reporter/ photographer Now goofing off after 40 years in newspapers, with contracts for some online publications.

Back