Done with chalk, anyone know how to do rust?

pacbelt

Hi all!
Just finished airbrushing, lettering, and some light chalk weathering...

Now, what's the best way to make rusty streaks running down the carbody from the roof????
Any help would be appreciated! :)

Carmine, modeling the HO Scale Pacific Belt RR since 1975!

Dab a little rust colored chalk at the top and streak it down with your brush. Wider at the top usually. Practice...it's hard to go wrong.
willie

I like using real rust. I make mine by letting a piece of super fine steal wool rust and then grinding it up as fine as I can. A little flat clear spray paint holds it in place.
Artist oil colors work good too. They allow a lot of working time and blending.

Good idea, but I live in Arizona. There is a car next door that has been bare metal for two years, and hasn't rusted yet! ;-p

Carmine, modeling the HO Scale Pacific Belt RR since 1975!

Lots of videos on youtube about weathering freight cars. Many of them use artists oils for rusty streaks. Just type in Weathering a Boxcar into the search box.

Steve S

Soak the steel wool in laquer thinner for a while and then you can force steel wool to rust with some white vinegar.

You can get a lot of ideas from this site for weathering. You don't have to take it as far as those guys do, but the practices and materials would apply to what you want to achieve and echo's what's been said here already.

Thanks for the link!! There's something I can work with....
Makes me want to make a piece of rolling stock look like its past retirement, and ready for scrap!!! :D

I do agree with that!! I have a UP mainline with a siding 1/2 mile from my house! :) I constantly get to see rolling stock in many degrees of weathering, parked!

Thanx for the link, that's a great resource! :D

Back