Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting on the loneliest man in town.
Good morning, all! A cloudy, warm and very windy day. Sustained at 24 mph and gusts to 35 mph according to my weather station. A rather busy day on tap, Maytag repairman, dog groomer and grocery trekking.

RANT - We purchase a new Maytag washer, delivered and installed Sunday. 4 and a half loads in and the machine quits. It seems you cannot buy a plain jane washer (analog?) Everything advertised by Home D or Lowe's and 2 local appliance stores, have some kind of computer in them. This one came with very little in the way of how to operate. As it turns out this machine was set up to close to the floor and with a heavy load when it went to the spin cycle, hit the floor and broke some component. (According to the repairman). I have scoured the paperwork, many really good and informative You-Tube videos and have yet to see "be sure not to be to close to the floor". At least it is all under warranty. DONE

Karl - Everyone needs to play hookey once in a while.
David - Everyone need a vacation/holiday once in a while. I think you need to drag Patrick along.
John, Willie - Everyone sees things that aren't there once in a while.
Troy - Everyone needs a stereo sweatband once in a while.
Everyone needs a TGIF once in a while.
Guy - Everybody needs to throw a picture down, once in a while
1714144251920.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

David - Everyone need a vacation/holiday once in a while. I think you need to drag Patrick along.

Yes, and celebrate Dawn's birthday.

Dawn has booked me a couple of days in August in a old signal cabin that has been converted into three bedrooms and lounge.
I have use of one bedroom and the lounge. There is nothing there, just the station and signal box. Patrick could relax, chill out and watch trains on the old North British Railway West Highland Line.

Good afternoon. It's mostly sunny and 86.
And UPS has now forgotten where I live. This time with some prescription medicine. Proof of delivery was "met resident". Unfortunately, I'm at work, so I don't know what resident they met. And UPS now doesn't start missing package claims on the phone, you have to go to their website.

Small house update. Last week my nephew was down. We tried to finish tile but just got the two showers tiled but not g routed and the Japanese bath floor tile down and grouted but not the walls. We did get a ton of lights, outlets, and switches in and this week I got the kitchen cabinet boxes in and am going to tile the backsplash stating tonight. I cut one tile last night (electrical outlet opening) and posed it to check my opening spacing (its a few inches off the wall as I had siliconed the joint between the countertop and the wall and it wasn't dry yet).

The one shower is more blue though shows gray here due to lighting and the kitchen tile has a more gray-blue tinge but due to lighting looks different here. The other shower is a dark charcoal (my daughter's choice). We still have to do a final wash down of the floor tile to remove the grout haze. we did it twice when still relatively fresh but still has the haze. I don't actually have a pic after the grouting was done so you still see spacers in the photo of the floor but it has been grouted.

The one room with ceiling lights are where I swapped out some simple lights for these as this is the main entrance.IMG_4927.jpegIMG_4917.jpegIMG_4897.jpegIMG_4886.jpegIMG_4872.jpegIMG_4852.jpegIMG_4848.jpeg73580026838__A51A42A2-A69C-4989-AB40-26124B39C6A2.jpeg

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 64F and clear. We are still getting low humidity and I dread the days (coming next month) when you step out of your house before sunrise and immediately start sweating. After animal chores I headed to the train room and spent about 4 hours there today. The list of accomplished tasks is added flooring and inside tower detailing, touched up inside paint, mounted the inside light, tested all 3 lights and finished the wiring for all 3, caulked around the last piece of wall (sits above main window), test fit flat roof, and sanded the one-piece wrap around roof trim piece so that it fits now. All in all, a very productive day.

Troy- Not trying to be sarcastic and I understand your frustration fully, but this is what elder care is to a large extent. Dad has been living with me for 2.5 years.

Sherrel- Hang in there buddy. You know we all wish you the best and care about you.

Mac- Funny video.

Willie- The end of a musical era.

TomO- Safe travels home.

Mike- That's amazing.

David- Safe travels and have a blast on your holiday.

Hughie- Nice layout shot.

Chad- You're making good progress. What are you going to do with your spare time when it's done?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon!

I received an email invoice from Rapido Trains for the purchase of a pair of CN GP9RM's. Only thing is, I thought I had corrected the original pre-order to be only one, and not a pair. Anyway, after I sent customer service an email, the issue was fixed.
Now, within a couple of weeks, I expect to get one of these in the mail:
GP-9RM.jpg

I would have stuck with the two on order, if I was feeling full crazy. These are fairly pricey, though, so after considering my wife's probable response, I thought I'd only go 1/2 crazy.

Hughie - Thanks for dropping down that beautiful layout photo. I don't see a dog, though. There's always gonna be the dog down by the tracks in a busy area like that.
You probably got the washer that was the last of the washer run in the Chinese factory, and the beginning of the next days toaster run.

Chad - Beautiful house, for sure. The photo montage did confuse me a-bit, trying to figure out what was what. Especially the kitchen hanging lights and looking up at doors.

I'm wishing we could get some rain around here, but, we're not gonna. Forest fires are already burning and if we don't get moisture, I'll be using a rake instead of a lawn-mower.

Anyway; Have a wonderful evening!

Evening all,

Closet trim bought, stained and getting laquer as I type. Hopefully cutting the pieces and nailing tomorrow. Only takes about 15 minutes between coats. usually takes 4 coats to seal the oak, using 4 ought (0000) steel wool between coats to make it smooth. It's a closet that a previous owner finished and either ran out of time or money. Still about $75 in materials as I needed the trim and had run out of laquer. The stain for some reason, I had a 4 oz can of stain I finished off when I did the stuff for the kitchen, and a quart that had been used as well. So I had plenty of stain.

Wife thinks we need to do the carpet next instead of the tub to shower conversion in case we need to sell to move to a one level easier access home in the future. Figures, since we almost have it paid off. We are in a position to write a check at anytime to finish paying it off. So we'll see where that goes. I have the flooring stored for the master bath, just need to have it installed.

Time for another coat of laquer.

Figures, since we almost have it paid off. We are in a position to write a check at anytime to finish paying it off. So we'll see where that goes.
That's a great feeling, isn't it?

We were in that position 4 years ago, and the wife came out in the living room one night and asked if we should just pull the money out of savings and be done with it.

It was a resounding YES from me.

Waiting on the loneliest man in town.
Good morning, all! A cloudy, warm and very windy day. Sustained at 24 mph and gusts to 35 mph according to my weather station. A rather busy day on tap, Maytag repairman, dog groomer and grocery trekking.

RANT - We purchase a new Maytag washer, delivered and installed Sunday. 4 and a half loads in and the machine quits. It seems you cannot buy a plain jane washer (analog?) Everything advertised by Home D or Lowe's and 2 local appliance stores, have some kind of computer in them. This one came with very little in the way of how to operate. As it turns out this machine was set up to close to the floor and with a heavy load when it went to the spin cycle, hit the floor and broke some component. (According to the repairman). I have scoured the paperwork, many really good and informative You-Tube videos and have yet to see "be sure not to be to close to the floor". At least it is all under warranty. DONE

Karl - Everyone needs to play hookey once in a while.
John, Willie - Everyone sees things that aren't there once in a while.
Troy - Everyone needs a stereo sweatband once in a while.
Everyone needs a TGIF once in a while.
Guy - Everybody needs to throw a picture down, once in a while
View attachment 186563

STAY SAFE
LATER
The Maytag of today isn't what it once was, sadly.

We moved into a new house when I was nine, and not too long after--I was about thirteen I guess and I'm 63 now--mom and dad bought a new Maytag top-load washer and front load gas dryer pair. The world "reliable" barely covers how solid they were. That sales tag-line "The Lonely Maytag Repairman" they used sure was true back then. Poor guy(s) would have died of sheer boredom if those two machines were representative of the quality of the rest.

Sometime around 1990 the washer's main bearing packed it in, and the appliance repair shop guys had a devil of a time replacing it because the original part had long since left the catalog. But somehow they got it done, and the machine ran again for many years without any major problems.

When mom passes on (it'll be soon) my sister and I become co-owners of that house and everything in it. And I will then become the proud half-owner of those two Maytag appliances--they are BOTH still going strong even today.

Fifty years. Roughly 4/5th's of my entire lifetime. Go figure.

got the new Jabra hearing aids

Compared to the Phonak KS-10 from Costco, they're different... some good, some different...

Not sure if I like them as well as the old ones... but they're different. The calls in, and bluetooth streaming sound tinny.

And - the old phonaks are going in for warranty replacement. So I may end up with 2 pair if Phonak actually sends new ones out.

The Jabras are going to take some getting used to. And perhaps a trip in to get them adjusted. We'll have to see.

Good evening. Clear, 45° with a Frost Advisory for overnight. Almost made 60° today, but not quite.

Guy: That's an awesome engine. - Ya should have gotten both and taken the heat. - From Experience.
Hughie and Snowman: Since Maytag sold themselves to Whirlpool they are not the same as in days past. Electronics is in everything and it frequently goes bad without warning.
News Item: Williams - Sonoma was fined $3.18M, by the FTC for violating a 2020 consent order. Seems they are advertising and presenting products made in China and other places as Made in the USA...Even after they were caught in 2020.

Hockey News: With 1.31 left in the 2nd, the Rangers (Suck) lead the Capitals 3-1 :mad:. I guess it's obvious I don't like the Rangers, although I will concede they have a very good team this year. Also in the 2nd, Vancouver leads Nashville 2-0.
Last Wednesday, Legendary Canadian Play by Play commentator Bob Cole passed at 90. He was a fixture on Hockey Night in Canada, and in my opinion, the best contemporary Hockey Commentator, bar none. I preferred his presentation along with Greg Millen, as superior to Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson on HNIC. Those of us South of the Border do appreciate Canadian Talent.

Good evening gang!

A productive day around the palatial ranch estate we call home. The rear garage door walkway out to the yard has new retaining timbers, the outside light fixture on the far end of the house once again illuminates, new solar garden lamps were installed and the trash hopper "corral" was assembled today. I did have to make a HD run for more screws and boards, and that got turned into a Wally World visit with the wife, but still a good day. I'm gonna be playing hookey more often, as I have 9 more days to use before my anniversary date comes around the last week of June. Its use it or lose it they say. I'm gonna use it!! Tomorrow the lawn needs cut and the truck washed. Sunday is all NASCAR and trains.

Don't get me started on appliances. In the last 13 years I've replaced 2 well pumps, 3 hot water heaters, 2 stoves and a washer and dryer, also a new HVAC system and most recently a garage door opener when the motor shaft snapped off. Wife wants a dishwasher, I said heck no, one more thing to break! My parents house was 40 years old and had all the original appliances , including the chocolate brown range, hood, dishwasher and fridge!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back