Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Regrettably, AC/DC was one of the few Heavy Metal/Hard Rock bands from the 70's and early 80's that I did not see live.
Despite what many think, AC/DC is not a heavy metal band! Hard Rock, yes. I'm sure that others will argue with that.
A quote from "A Guide to Hard Rock"
Hard rock bands typically use lead guitar mixed with a strong rhythm line or “swing,” while metal bands use a heavier guitar sound, more intense rhythm, and darker themes in their songs

Afternoon All,

I spent the morning at my buddy's Tom's house and after getting home I did some chores. Nothing else planned for the day. Moh comes back tomorrow from Tampa.

Karl- I agree, most of us resemble that remark.

Patrick- Sounds like a fun trip.

Bill- Nice photo. It resembles one of Walthers offerings.

Willie- Nice details.

Grizzled- Nice NP box car.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Despite what many think, AC/DC is not a heavy metal band! Hard Rock, yes. I'm sure that others will argue with that.
I believe they are indeed a Hard Rock band.

It seems many bands cross back and forth between Hard Rock and Heavy Metal, some more than others. Ozzy was the lead singer for the band many call the "God Father's of Heavy Metal" Black Sabbath. Much of Ozzy's solo music is more like hard rock to me. But I love most of it.

I'm no musical expert, far from it. For me it's all about what I like. No expert will get an argument from me.

I saw The Blizzard of Ozz's first show in the US. It was at Towson University's Towson Center. I doubt it held 10,000 people. We sat dead center in the tenth row. Motorhead was the opening band. Tickets cost $8.00.

After the show many Motorhead fans said "Motorhead was so much heavier and blew Ozzy away!"

As the show started, we moved down front. I was ten feet from Randy Rhodes. He was amazing, I had never seen anything like him! I don't care who was heavier, Ozzy and his band were fantastic! I love Motorhead, but Ozzy and his band stole the show in my eyes.

My point is people like what they like, it's all good.

What, no photos? I can't buy anything; I live vicariously through others.
IMG_6536.jpeg

The very best concert that I ever went to was the original Allman Brothers Band in September 1971, just 6 months after their historic "Live at the Fillmore East" album/concert was recorded. They played for over 4 hours and there was no opening act.
I have two favorite concerts. Stones in Cincinnati, with back stage passes, and Stevie Ray Vaughn, at willie Nelsons Oppre house in Austin. They were recording the Live Alive album

Jethro was 3+ hours with no opening act.
I only saw them once in 1971, July I think. Good show but no where near 3 hours, probably just under 2 hours. Don't remember if there was a nationally known opening act. Back then Bloodrock opened a lot of shows in the DFW area before they became big.
I have two favorite concerts. Stones in Cincinnati, with back stage passes, and Stevie Ray Vaughn, at willie Nelsons Oppre house in Austin. They were recording the Live Alive album
I have been to six Stones concerts over the years. My favorite was at the Will Rogers Auditorium in Ft Worth in 1978. It was never on a concert schedule and tickets were announced 2 hours before they went on sale at this ~3000 seat auditorium. I heard the announcement on the car radio during my lunch break and immediately took off from work to get a pair. Doug Kershaw was second billed and Bob Marley's bass player, Peter Tosh was the opener. This was one of many small venues sandwiched into the Stones Some Girls stadium tour that year. They actually released a 16mm film of that concert later in 2011.
I saw SRV many times early in his career when the "local boy" (he was born and raised in Dallas), opened for many concerts during the early 80's. Always impressive but not in my top 10. There were a couple of times that he was too stoned to play well though.

Last edited:
Gun bingo at the local VFD. I won last time, can lightning strike again ?
View attachment 185925
So the person with the least amount of dotted out numbers gets shot. How many games does it take to thin the crowd down.

Good morning....Coffee Flo in the big cup.
Train show today, no layouts for the one day show but they do have a RPM meet in another room. I guess I can look and see how I fare against the pros.

Back