Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to ask everyone to be patient before you run off to some other forum. We've been working on this problem and I think they finally found some of the issues. Updating PHP seems to have reduced the server load. The slowness you saw this morning was while we were updating that and a few other back end items. It's hard to do that on a live server, that's for sure.

If the problems can't be resolved, I may well end up migrating to a new server. However, I think the current one should continue to work, if we can find the bugs.

I WILL make it work. Whatever that takes. Upgrading on Bluehost, moving to a different host, or just figuring out what's wrong on this one. Not sure yet, but I will continue to keep working on it until it's working smoothly again.

Last edited:
I have a question for the AI that made the picture. Why does she have cat ears and human ears, both?
I told the AI in the prompt that the girl is a shapeshifter (wererat) so she got Rat Ears. This is about the 12th go at a pic for her. The first ones weren't bad, but she had body guard rat-men that weren't good.

If I tell the AI to put the pixie girl, and her friend the grumpy grey cat into the same image, the girl gets cat ears about 1/2 the time.

this is one of the many reason's I'm convinced that AI isn't "copying another image".... if it were, my characters wouldn't get rat and cat ears.

Our gaming blog is hosted by a company that takes forever to update our PHP.

We're looking at moving it to BlueHost soon.

Yeah, hold off on Bluehost for a bit... LMAO. Let's see if they can get this place running smoothly first.

I'm on a dedicated server there, to the tune of about $3K a year, and it's running like a Commodore 64 the last couple weeks.

Typically they're top notch though, and they have spent hours with me looking for the issues. So they do have excellent service. Just wish we could figure this one out.

Wow! Still quite shocked about that bridge in Baltimore. I did see part of the President's speech on the subject, where he claimed to have gone across that bridge many times while in the Senate. I never knew that Amtrack had a track there too!!!
I know that was a forward moving huge heavy object that hit it. I'm still very shocked at how fast it collapsed!

I imagine this will change bridge construction going forward. Probably change some policies in these port areas as well!

In other news, our travel buddies for Alaska looked at getting a rental car and had sticker shock. It was going to be surge pricing up to $500 a day. So we're flying home the same day.

Vancouver BC to Seward Alaska on the cruise. Disembark in Seward.

BUT the flights out look like a 3 hour bus ride up to Anchorage to get a 10-12 hour flight (depending on stops) back to Indiana... That's going to be a long two days. The cheaper flights are red-eyes... what to do in Anchorage, with suitcases, for 12 hours if we do that?

I know that was a forward moving huge heavy object that hit it. I'm still very shocked at how fast it collapsed!

I imagine this will change bridge construction going forward. Probably change some policies in these port areas as well!

I don't think it will change bridge construction. The ship was said to weight 100K tons. That's about 10 freight trains, each 100 cars long. You could crash that into a building and it would demolish it. Even a concrete arch bridge would be no match for it.

What I think may change is that they will construct much larger barricades around the piers to divert ships. That's not easy in deep water but it may be the answer.

I don't think it will change bridge construction. The ship was said to weight 100K tons. That's about 10 freight trains, each 100 cars long. You could crash that into a building and it would demolish it. Even a concrete arch bridge would be no match for it.

What I think may change is that they will construct much larger barricades around the piers to divert ships. That's not easy in deep water but it may be the answer.
Or have tugs stay with the ships until they're past the bridge. Looks like the tugs turned back once the ship was in the channel. If they'd stayed for five more minutes they might have been close enough to help.

Great points!! That puts it in a little more prospective.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of all of this.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 40°, except at the Weather Underground station around the corner.
View attachment 184954View attachment 184955
Looks like his thermometer has gone wonky again. I saw 57° for a high yesterday here, going for mid-60's today with rain in the forecast for this afternoon.

Another day on the mower yesterday, 2 rounds @45 minutes each. I now have the entire yard done, all 3 acres, should be good until this weekend. Today will be garden maintenance day. I am ready to mulch the pathway east of the broccoli/spinach/lettuce row. I'll hoe it all first to make sure that there are no emerging weed seedlings there and to keep the surface from crusting, something that my heavy clay soil is prone to do. I need to watch the yard as well and see if I can spot the armadillo that I saw yesterday and note it's traveling pattern so I can set the trap. Traps for armadillos cannot be just baited because they only eat what they dig up. But they are relatively blind, so by noting their travel paths, I can take a pair of 2"x8"x8' boards and set them in an open "V" with the trap at the opening and they will walk into it; if properly placed. Or run if I spot it and give chase! Since their range is around five miles, I release them in the woods next to the 4-wheeler ATV park about 8 miles away.

We topped off the day by meeting a couple that we know for supper at Houlihans in Denton. Yes, I do have a small social life! They raise show horses just east of Denton and the wife and my wife worked at H&R Block together for many years. It's been a while though, so I don't have to listen to Blockhead (my term) stories any more!

Wow! Still quite shocked about that bridge in Baltimore. I did see part of the President's speech on the subject, where he claimed to have gone across that bridge many times while in the Senate. I never knew that Amtrack had a track there too!!!

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did a little more figure painting since they were still out from the other day. I used 4 colors and completed 6 figures and added to about a dozen others. Putting them on the layout is still part of the never-ending backlog. I need a totally rainy day with no "honey-dos" to try to get caught up. Right now I am sitting on the cemetery scene, adding completed trees to various already identified areas, getting these figures off the workbench, and numerous other small and large projects on the list. I have already decided that I will not finish the layout by my target of Christmas 2024, maybe mid-2026 instead.
Let's see if I can post a couple of random scenes of folks working.
View attachment 184960
I guess that it won't work this morning.
I won't waste any more of my time now.

Patrick - Good that you are able to return to work, but take it easy. You need to take some of those accumulated vacation/comp days. They seemed to be able to scrape by in the past without you.

Just tried to open another page here and this is what came up:View attachment 184958
From Buffalo Springfield "There's something happening here But what it is ain't exactly clear". Only his website, none others. Do you reckon that it's the full moon from the other day???

Louis - Glad that you weren't on the road at the bridge collapse time. Will it affect your deliveries in any way?
Mac - Thanks for that video link regarding the bridge collapse. Quite informative.

Everybody have a great day.
Amtrak did not ran across that bridge. Either you've missunderstood, or the reporters do not know what are they talking about. Amtrak NEC runs through Baltimore just north of actual downtown and about half of that is under city streets in the tunnels.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a blood draw that lasted 45 min longer than necessary. It seems my doc put May instead of March on the order, so I had to call my health team to get it changed. After that we went to breakfast and I'm still full (skipped lunch). Had a side trip to Wally World then home. I decided to do my morning walk after getting home since it's supposed to rain tomorrow morning. Now I'm vegging. No train room today.

Karl- Nice looking "peanut".

Terry- I thought you were a moderator.

Guy- Great catches. Is it safe ice fishing at 50F?

Bob- Thanks for the update. I'm on 3 MRR forums, if I had to give up one it wouldn't be this one. I really like the people in the coffee shop.

Troy- I've had layovers like that while flying under orders in the military. It d.r..a...g....s......by.

Mike- It takes a ship a long time to stop on its own even at slow speeds, think mass and inertia. At some point at very slow speeds, you will lose the ability to steer the ship (different for every ship).

I hope everyone has a good night.

I’m being patient but JAZ brings up a good point. Where View them?else would we gather?
Even though I am being a squeaky wheel, I have a lot of patience and confidence that Bob will get this back on track. He is kinda giving a blow by blow account over on the "ATTENTION..." thread, even though I don't understand all of the geek talk. I am waiting out this storm here and not going elsewhere.

Amtrak did not ran across that bridge. Either you've missunderstood, or the reporters do not know what are they talking about. Amtrak NEC runs through Baltimore just north of actual downtown and about half of that is under city streets in the tunnels.
I was making a tongue-in-cheek reference to Joe saying for years that he took Amtrak home from the Senate every night, and yesterday he claimed that he took the collapsed bridge.

Will this do?
1711561982932.png

Houston is already looking at bridges on the ship channel. The first bridge is the Fred Hartman Bridge. The stanchions for the bridge are outside the channel in 5' off water. They said the ship would run aground before hitting the bridge. Tugs are normally dropped once a ship has cleared points requiring maneuverings. We used to practice loss of power and loss of steering. Dropping the anchor(s). I suspect the weight & momentum of that ship would have dragged the anchors anyway.

The forum is strange. I click a like at get instant result, nest post, click like and it's a 20 second delay. I tried to post this once already and it didn't go. Turning a page also takes 20 plus seconds.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back