Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Everyone! It is 47 degrees heading to 75 (doubtful) with mostly overcast and scattered showers. We have had a few showers the past few days which is akind to dumping a pail of water out the window - not akin to much of anything?

I have been trying to catch up on the posts after battling Chemo effects for 2-3 days.
Starting next Monday - I will have either Chemo, or Radiation 5 days a week with a couple Doctors appointments thrown into the fray along the way.

I thank the LORD that he gave me such a GREAT spousal unit! She plans to be with me for every treatment!
We had a quite anniversary dinner at home this year on Saturday
It was number 33!

1710764872223.png

Morning Everyone! It is 47 degrees heading to 75 (doubtful) with mostly overcast and scattered showers. We have had a few showers the past few days which is akind to dumping a pail of water out the window - not akin to much of anything?

I have been trying to catch up on the posts after battling Chemo effects for 2-3 days.
Starting next Monday - I will have either Chemo, or Radiation 5 days a week with a couple Doctors appointments thrown into the fray along the way.

I thank the LORD that he gave me such a GREAT spousal unit! She plans to be with me for every treatment!
It was number 33!

View attachment 184383
Congratulations.

It was number 33!

View attachment 184383

Congratulations to you both.

I used only AIM weathering powders, I believe that they are now owned by Monroe Models. Here is the other side. That's the brand that my LHS carried, I don't claim that it is better or worse than any others.
View attachment 184359
It’s funny the owner of AIM was a client for years. I never knew it. His full time career was he was a pharmacist with his own store! After I retired and moved and I joined another forum he asked me where I had worked and that’s when we both realized who each other was. Turned out he had lived about 10 miles north of us too but as soon as we made that connection he sold AIM to Monroe. Terry and I had already moved to So. Central Wi.

Great work on the car

Good morning all. Tea and toast please, Flo.

I do not know what you are hearing over the pond, but here very little news is coming from Buckingham Palace. Rumours are flying.
In the news Princess of Wales is named as Kate Middleton and not P.o.W. ???
No word on King Charles' treatment for cancer.?
Queen Camilla has stopped her Royal Engagements.?
Prince William is evasive on any questions.???

That's just a few strange things going on. Now we are hearing the 'world's media' are in London expecting some kind of announcement from Buckingham Palace this week.!!!

In other news; it's Monday and I take younger granddaughter to Brownies. 😀
Dawn had a bad night, so still in bed.
I doubt I shall see the train room.

That is the 9.00am news.

Back later.
No offense please…

but I have never understood the fascination that the USA has about a country’s “Royally entitled family“ we had to have a civil war against to gain our freedoms

may all the “Royals” have good health but beyond that to me they are nothing special

If i remember correctly it was in Mark Twains "Huckleberry Finn" when the boys got two guests on their raft, just petty thiefs who turned to be "royalties". One of them some Duke of England, or Wales, the other next emperor of France. This conversation reminded me of that😁

Ah! Stories of meeting Royalty. Some stories are kept secret, because they are of a personal nature. This one made the local newspaper, so can be told.

In days gone, when Prince Harry was the heartthrob of young girls, he and other soldiers called in at our local store. They bought bars of chocolate and other 'ket'. As Prince Harry put some money in the 'charity tin' (stores have here) the young assistant asked him if he had a store card? If he had one he could save money shopping there. Prince Harry declined to have one as he was 'not staying in the area'.

AH HA! And if there are not any - WE will invent one?
Come on Sherrel! Glad you’re feeling a bit better but YOU know no one in the Crew would do that! Invent a problem… Even our Chilli Man Troy Aka Troyphoto. Nor would any of us skirt the issues of politics. Thankfully we have the reasonable and sane Terry (bnsf971) for that tightrope walking to keeps a few of us in line

It was number 33!

View attachment 184383
congrats and enjoy many more

Last edited:
Hello on a blustery day in So. Central Wisconsin. I want to do something outside the house but the weather is not cooperating. 20mph winds gusting into the 40’s, high in the mid 30’s but wind chills in the low 20’s.

I don’t want to walk the treadmill, I don’t want to swim and there will be no weathering done today! I guess because I missed celebrating National Gray haired Grumpy old Guy day On November 14th I’m celebrating it today
IMG_4822.png

oh well…maybe a book

Good 43F Morning, Folks!
I noticed the neighbour was already sun-bathing in her backyard yesterday. It's not unusual around here, to see women in shorts and T-shirt when there's still ice on the ground.

Today is a no modelling day. I'd better be working on the bathroom reno, instead. This is the third, and last, bathroom reno I'll ever do in this house. The shower surround has to be tiled, flooring put in, plumbing done, and all the small stuff, like hanging mirrors and electrical.
My wife watches those darn renovation programs on TV, and the next thing you know, I'm renovating something. Her gardening hobby saves me in the summer, but, winters have become reno open-season.

I did manage to get all the windows and doors glued into my railway station yesterday:
3rdClass_03-17-2024 (2).JPG
Until I can manage signage and weathering, I'm considering this structure completed. It's not perfect, but, I'm quite satisfied with this scratch-built result.

Willie - Thankyou for answering the reporting mark question on that GATX lease boxcar.
Curt - Glad to hear the rash is healing, however slow. Itchy rashes are the worst.
Louis - I was looking for the 'Yuk!!' button to apply on that canned hash photo, but, there isn't one. So here's my official 'Yuk!!'.
David - If I ever became sick enough to stalk someone in a loving way, it would be Kate.
Sherrel - That's a wonderful photo of you and the wife. Just so you know, I keep a file with saved photos of friends. Just so I can look back and remember. One day, when I'm turning over the keys of my layout to my great grand children, I'll show them some photos and say, 'These were my friends.'

Well, I better get out of here, before I get myself in trouble!
Have a wonderful day!

Of course having no hair on my head, means I have no grey hair on my head. The hair (both brown and grey) went south for the winter and doesn't seem to want to come back north.

But I do have grey hair in other places (like my nose...)

Sherrel: Belated Happy Anniversary. Glad you're feeling some better.

Good 43F Morning, Folks!
I noticed the neighbour was already sun-bathing in her backyard yesterday. It's not unusual around here, to see women in shorts and T-shirt when there's still ice on the ground.

Today is a no modelling day. I'd better be working on the bathroom reno, instead. This is the third, and last, bathroom reno I'll ever do in this house. The shower surround has to be tiled, flooring put in, plumbing done, and all the small stuff, like hanging mirrors and electrical.
My wife watches those darn renovation programs on TV, and the next thing you know, I'm renovating something. Her gardening hobby saves me in the summer, but, winters have become reno open-season.

I did manage to get all the windows and doors glued into my railway station yesterday:
View attachment 184384Until I can manage signage and weathering, I'm considering this structure completed. It's not perfect, but, I'm quite satisfied with this scratch-built result.

Willie - Thankyou for answering the reporting mark question on that GATX lease boxcar.
Curt - Glad to hear the rash is healing, however slow. Itchy rashes are the worst.
Louis - I was looking for the 'Yuk!!' button to apply on that canned hash photo, but, there isn't one. So here's my official 'Yuk!!'.
David - If I ever became sick enough to stalk someone in a loving way, it would be Kate.
Sherrel - That's a wonderful photo of you and the wife. Just so you know, I keep a file with saved photos of friends. Just so I can look back and remember. One day, when I'm turning over the keys of my layout to my great grand children, I'll show them some photos and say, 'These were my friends.'

Well, I better get out of here, before I get myself in trouble!
Have a wonderful day!
Nice job on that station.

Good Morning All. Clear and 45° this morning. Today is supposed to be a bit chillier than yesterday, just 60° vs. 66° yesterday. Good stiff wind yesterday dried off all of the vegetation, thus enabling me to resume mowing today.

The experiment with the Sous Vide Corned Beef Brisket worked out successfully yesterday, but I won't say that I will use that method in the future. It was no different than when I cook one in the crockpot. That Sous Vide immersion tank was pretty much in the way on the kitchen counter for 48 hours, while the slow cooker is just there for 6-8 hours. And I had to cook the cabbage and carrots separately on the stove instead of just adding them into the crockpot. No difference in taste, texture or moistness.

Other than cooking, most of the day yesterday was spent on household tasks. As I posted above, today will be a mowing day since it is supposed to rain again Thursday. I also need to see why the icemaker isn't working in the fridge. I've replaced it twice before; it's a pain though. Working inside that narrow freezer compartment is tough and the damn thing has some rough edges on the unseen backside. I'll first have to see if one is still available for my 25+ year old fridge. Of course my wife just wants to replace the whole thing because she refuses to believe the appliance repairmen (3 different ones), who say the new ones won't last more than 8 years. That despite the fact that both of my daughters have had to replace theirs several times since they moved away from home. In fact, one lasted just 4 years!

Another short Sunday out in the train shed yesterday, as is usual. Just too many other things on a normal Sunday schedule to allow time on hobbies. That's why Sundays are usually just devoted to running trains and keeping the crews busy.
Here are a few more random pictures from the layout. Mike (migalyto) posted in a thread somewhere, don't remember if it was the Coffee Shop or somewhere else that he hadn't seen any overall layout views. They're hard to get given the layout itself, but here's a few from the center aisle.
This is the town of Vernon on the upper level and Graham on the lower level. That's just a storage shelf on the upper right.
IMG_0941.JPG

Looking the other way on the upper level.
IMG_0943.JPG

Across the aisle at the main drag through Vernon.
IMG_0944.JPG

Looking at part of Graham on the lower level.
IMG_0946.JPG

Guy - Vanity top looks good. It's the norm for workers here to be from Mexico and has been for over 40 years. Mostly they are legal immigrants or were born here to legal immigrants. They are not the problem here, it's the recent waves of illegal ones from countries other than Mexico that are the problem. Most of these workers speak English with customers but speak Spanish among themselves. Since I understand and speak some Spanish myself, I sometimes jump into their conversations unexpectedly with startling results. I tend to wait until they are well into the job when they realize that I have been understanding all along.
Tom in Missouri - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. The ground rules are simple, no religion or politics. Although sometimes veiled political comments get by. It is primarily "self-moderation" here, although Terry and sometimes Sherrel do ride herd.
Louis - You can take that canned Corn Beef Hash and feed it to the dogs.
Sherrel - Belated Happy Anniversary. Best wishes on the treatments this week.

Anyone heard from Joe (Boris) recently? I haven't seen him in the Coffee Shop in a while. Hoping that he's just on a road trip.

Everyone have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back