Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning - 59 degrees and looking for 69 later with possible showers?

Off to ONTARIO this morning to meet with the radiology team for a "mask". ... Maybe I will look like
JIM CARREY when done? ...
1710508697902.png

Good 41F Morning!
I expect the snow to be melted off the front lawn entirely today. Very soon, the garden work and house exterior painting will begin. I despise both.

This was sort of cool:
TrainDay_03-14-2024 (2).JPG

A miniature track-hoe that off-loads onto a rail carriage. I did see it working off the carriage. This is being used as an MOW vehicle, committing to track work in the local area. It self-propels itself down the tracks on that little carriage.
I've noticed that track work is happening, and some work is being done to the rail bridge crossing the McLeod River.
I didn't realize at the time that I had taken such a crappy photo, but, at least I got one.

Gotta say, that if my layout was suggesting a more modern period, I'd have centre-beam flatcars with opera windows on it. I like these railcars:
TrainDay_03-14-2024 (4).JPG
TrainDay_03-14-2024 (5).JPG

Sherrel - Good luck with the appointments. I truly do extend prayers that the procedures are highly successful.

Anyway, I'm not gonna spend all day in here. I hope to get those depot windows out of my hair today, and finish the job.
Have a wonderful day!!

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 57°, going for a high today of only 65° after 81° yesterday. The ever-changing forecast now has no rain today or Sunday, but it's still in there for tomorrow. The rain yesterday was a joke, at least here. Rained for all of 3 minutes but did leave 0.01" in the gauge around the corner at the Weather Underground station. My gauge is dry. There was more severe weather in other areas of North Texas and extending across the Mid-South.

Yesterday's grocery trek was uneventful, gasoline prices in Denton were all over the place; ranging from $2.99/gal to $3.27/gal depending on when their tanks were refilled. Price gouging is closely watched in Texas and a station can't raise prices until they get a newer higher priced delivery. Wife had me stop by the gardening section at Home Depot while we were out, so she could purchase bedding plants and Petunia seeds. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend? Mixing up potting soil and preparing the large planter box outside. Since I use the planter box for herbs as well as her flowers, the soil in it is organic mixed with compost, part of which will be replaced.

I spent time yesterday cleaning and scrubbing the Hummingbird feeders that need to be in place by the beginning of Spring next week.
Spring is definitely early here, as I observed two different snakes out and about yesterday. A small 18" one was crossing the driveway and whoops, the Amazon driver squashed it!:( The other much larger one (~40"-45") was emerging from under the house around dusk. I went back inside to get the camera but it was gone when I returned. Some snakes winter over under the house curled up on top of the beams between the floor joists. They're usually not on the move quite this early; I'll have to go back by the barn later today to see if there are any emerging there. Those out there will scour around for a few days looking for small (or large) rodents since most haven't eaten since October. The ones around the house will either go out to the barn, or subside on crickets for a while.

It was primarily a train running day out in the train shed yesterday. I did first add the roof to the storage shed after all of the rafter tails dried.
IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

I painted up a few extra details to add.
IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

I still need to add the four full length end rafters which I have painted but not yet cut. That won't take long.
Here are the before and after pictures of the small area that I did Wednesday, between a feed store and the highway overpass dividing the scenicked portion from the staging yard. In real life, these types of areas are unkempt and more overgrown than I originally represented.
IMG_1457.JPG

I moved a tree over and added two more as well as adding clump foliage and a small shard of lichen.
IMG_1464.JPG

I'll add some weeds once I get the weed-making stuff out again real soon.

Tom O - Yep! I think growing up in the 60's and early 70's was a great time for me. Especially the newly liberated girls! I was somewhat guarded by having gone to a Catholic High School for 4 years and all of a sudden going to a pretty liberal college in '69 was a real eye-opener. I rented an off-campus house in my second year ($40/mo) and had dormitory girls constantly dropping by. Enjoyed every minute of their company. It helped too that the clinic on campus distributed free birth control pills to any girl that asked.
Terry - Did your friend's travel trailer survive?

Beware the Ides of March today. Everyone have a great day.

Good 41F Morning!
I expect the snow to be melted off the front lawn entirely today. Very soon, the garden work and house exterior painting will begin. I despise both.

This was sort of cool:
View attachment 184082
A miniature track-hoe that off-loads onto a rail carriage. I did see it working off the carriage. This is being used as an MOW vehicle, committing to track work in the local area. It self-propels itself down the tracks on that little carriage.
I've noticed that track work is happening, and some work is being done to the rail bridge crossing the McLeod River.
I didn't realize at the time that I had taken such a crappy photo, but, at least I got one.

Gotta say, that if my layout was suggesting a more modern period, I'd have centre-beam flatcars with opera windows on it. I like these railcars:
View attachment 184086View attachment 184087

Sherrel - Good luck with the appointments. I truly do extend prayers that the procedures are highly successful.

Anyway, I'm not gonna spend all day in here. I hope to get those depot windows out of my hair today, and finish the job.
Have a wonderful day!!
Got to save that picture. There are 3 opera window Center beams in a client’s pile of cars to do by 6/1. I’ve done the other Centerbeam cars by Walthers, Atlas and the latest ones from Rapido but never the Opera windowed one. Guy, your pictures are so much more helpful to me than most of the photo sites I head to. Thank you

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 57°, going for a high today of only 65° after 81° yesterday. The ever-changing forecast now has no rain today or Sunday, but it's still in there for tomorrow. The rain yesterday was a joke, at least here. Rained for all of 3 minutes but did leave 0.01" in the gauge around the corner at the Weather Underground station. My gauge is dry. There was more severe weather in other areas of North Texas and extending across the Mid-South.

Yesterday's grocery trek was uneventful, gasoline prices in Denton were all over the place; ranging from $2.99/gal to $3.27/gal depending on when their tanks were refilled. Price gouging is closely watched in Texas and a station can't raise prices until they get a newer higher priced delivery. Wife had me stop by the gardening section at Home Depot while we were out, so she could purchase bedding plants and Petunia seeds. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend? Mixing up potting soil and preparing the large planter box outside. Since I use the planter box for herbs as well as her flowers, the soil in it is organic mixed with compost, part of which will be replaced.

I spent time yesterday cleaning and scrubbing the Hummingbird feeders that need to be in place by the beginning of Spring next week.
Spring is definitely early here, as I observed two different snakes out and about yesterday. A small 18" one was crossing the driveway and whoops, the Amazon driver squashed it!:( The other much larger one (~40"-45") was emerging from under the house around dusk. I went back inside to get the camera but it was gone when I returned. Some snakes winter over under the house curled up on top of the beams between the floor joists. They're usually not on the move quite this early; I'll have to go back by the barn later today to see if there are any emerging there. Those out there will scour around for a few days looking for small (or large) rodents since most haven't eaten since October. The ones around the house will either go out to the barn, or subside on crickets for a while.

It was primarily a train running day out in the train shed yesterday. I did first add the roof to the storage shed after all of the rafter tails dried.
View attachment 184077
View attachment 184078
I painted up a few extra details to add.
View attachment 184079
View attachment 184080
View attachment 184081
I still need to add the four full length end rafters which I have painted but not yet cut. That won't take long.
Here are the before and after pictures of the small area that I did Wednesday, between a feed store and the highway overpass dividing the scenicked portion from the staging yard. In real life, these types of areas are unkempt and more overgrown than I originally represented.
View attachment 184103
I moved a tree over and added two more as well as adding clump foliage and a small shard of lichen.
View attachment 184104
I'll add some weeds once I get the weed-making stuff out again real soon.

Tom O - Yep! I think growing up in the 60's and early 70's was a great time for me. Especially the newly liberated girls! I was somewhat guarded by having gone to a Catholic High School for 4 years and all of a sudden going to a pretty liberal college in '69 was a real eye-opener. I rented an off-campus house in my second year ($40/mo) and had dormitory girls constantly dropping by. Enjoyed every minute of their company. It helped too that the clinic on campus distributed free birth control pills to any girl that asked.
Terry - Did your friend's travel trailer survive?

Beware the Ides of March today. Everyone have a great day.
Pretty much the same here! 1970, Liberated Catholic HS girls studying at Marquette were a real eye opener but nothing compared to the liberated ladies on the UW Milwaukee campus up the road a few miles or the adventurists ones coming in from UW Madison for the weekend

Are there still many of the opera centerbeams running around? I just don't see them anymore. I have held off getting a few because i thought they weren't out there anymore, but you have validated that they are still. The hunt for 3-4 can commence.

Really enjoying your photos, keep them coming please!

Morning folks

Beware of the ides of March------I suppose not much to worry about unless your surname is Caesar. 25F and cloudless. Also apparently the start of a week long warming trend until the first day of spring which is forecast to be a return to winter.

Hot off the pixalator:
53589278446_a6dc8d2370_b.jpg

Good morning All!!!
I see Bill has been here!
Flo, can I please get the sunshine skillet with extra side of biscuits and sausage gravy?
I'll let you choose which side I get. Left or right, they look good!!!
Oh, and two fireball mini shooters with a large coffee. Double cream and sugar.
Silly Kat! Keep pursing your lips and they'll fold over themselves. o_O 🤣
I'll be at the end of the counter looking out the window.
Heard the CHS #3 was rambling buy shortly.
It's the last GE built 44 tonner.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Afternoon All,

Today it's supposed to get to 85 F. I've still been dealing with the rash, but it is slowly getting better. My hands are pretty much clear now and it's slowly subsiding on the rest of my body. I have continued working on the build and will finish it next week. Today I installed the warehouse interior with detailing and soldered the 4 lights that will go inside and mounted the 2 for the warehouse.

Old 97- Although I generally listen to rock, I do enjoy Johnny Mathis and Johnny Rivers.

David- Have fun with granddaughter, and I am glad Dawn is feeling well today.

Willie- Nice scenes and build.

20240315_110602 (3).jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

It seems you and I have a lot more in common than trains, Texas and New York. My folks said it wouldn't last, I was too young, she was older, engaged in July, married in September, only knew her for 8 months. 58 years later, they were wrong. There is a line in the movie "The Finest Hour" where the guy says, "when you know, you just know".
I am older than my other half, even my dad offered to pay for free holiday if I did a runner! His mum was not pleased she thawed a little after a couple of years when I got pregnant, it turned out he was only a teenager 19!
We are the only ones married just once in our families. he rules the roost. Unless I throw a hissy fit -rare. 4 months from dating to married. He pushed for it, I encouraged him in learning and over time his pay check got better and better as did his bonus’s. I worked nights at one time so he could go to university, but he was head hunted and got a massive pay rise.
we have our arguments, where usually I remind him he is lucky I am much calmer than the females in my bloodline, hot cups or tea and cast iron pans flying were not unusual. Me, I never throw stuff, it might break, it would cost money to replace it. as a child my dad finally started to improve his lot, but my mum always believed in looking after money avoiding debt, she would say if you borrow money you need a better paid job to pay off the debt! we avoid debt like the plague, save money, and once we have enough, then buy with cash avoiding interest payments from borrowed money. that one thing has likely allowed our marriage to run smoother than most,
Plus even when he annoys the livin sxxx out of me I love him.
Plus he always had a great bum lol. and a great walk, I remember one lad I dated for days the first time I saw him run my eyes almost popped out he looked like a puppet on a string, petty I know but end of relationship! another laughed like a hyena! Gone ran…..luckily he did not have my home address. Yeah ok I was picky and shallow, But waiting got me a keeper,
Ironically when I get annoyed I get high pitched it winds him up no end, but he never ran! might be another reason we don’t argue much …his ears can’t take the flack….laughs.

Last edited:
[...] Beware the Ides of March today. Everyone have a great day. [...]
Yippee! So it's Pizza Friday after all.

I was going to have a Caesar salad, but when I thought about crawling underneath the BMW after dinner, I decided it's SAFEST to go with plan B instead. Deep dish too, and not a flattened cracker crust. Must...ward...off...any...evil...omens.

Safety first. It says so right here in the manual.

Good afternoon, all! We are awaiting some predicted bad weather here this evening. Some places are being told to watch for 2" hail. That will put a dent in your hood/bonnet. Not a lot going on here. I did try my hand at weathering a car. IMO not to bad for a third attempt.
1710536924355.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back