Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. But some of them are worth it. Just not anything newer than 2006. Jeep brand's next to last place in the reliability ratings is 100% correct as is everything Consumer Reports says about them. Curious as to last place? Well no surprise Rover holds that one.
The 1955 Willys CJ 3B which I purchased in 1972. This is Version 5.1 and probably close to final form for my ownership. My other hobby.
51766475517_8f9a245c7c_b.jpg

51767301446_2eb6a3f4fd_b.jpg

Uncivilized? Perhaps. But it never fails to put a poop eating grin on my face.
On the contrary, as Obie Wan Kenobi would say comparing a light saber to a laser blaster😉

Good afternoon all. A mocha coffee and blueberry muffin please, Flo.
A dry, cloudy day with rain forecast later.

Dawn is having 'a not so good time' at present. The doctor has prescribed more antibiotics. A good job we are not ill together. :)

Youngest grandson is visiting after school.

Back later

Good morning All!!!!
Flo, could you please get me the "Mystery Bagel"?
It's number 9 in the Breakfast Mystery Section.
Says here that it's an unknown bagel, may or may not be toasted.
Nobody knows if it comes with butter or cream cheese.
No choice for additional options.
Unknown presentation? May come in wax paper, on a plate or in a brown sack?
Sidebar mentions these mystery bagels could have possibly been on the floor. o_O 🤔
Okay. I better get two.
What are the odds I won't like either one??

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 37°. It will probably rain soon, albeit lightly! Current radar shows that it is snowing and has been for the last two hours; and the Weather Underground station around the corner has been posting the same information, but I have been outside several times and nothing! Doesn't even feel like mist. Radar also shows a freezing mix close by, but I will believe it when I see it.

The weekly grocery trek is today, I'm sure that it will be raining by then. Beer & cheese are the most important things on the list, although I am not too close to running out of beer. It's crazy again, I'm looking at the on-line circular for Kroger and Easter candy and toys are prominently displayed. I guess I'll be tripping over that stuff today.

Yesterday was a raw day outside with the over 20 mph winds out of the north all damn day. So I spent too much time on the computer sorting model railroad pictures and filing them into appropriate folders. At least it was interesting.

As I posted yesterday, I forgot to turn the heaters back on out in the train shed Tuesday evening, and it was too chilly to do any real modeling. Long sleeves and modeling just don't mix for me. I did some general cleanup on a shelf under the layout and discovered some forgotten details, including a small box of spare engine details (grabs, brake lines and air hoses) for Kato and P2K locomotives. Most important was some Blomberg "B" sideframes that I need to replace one that the mounting pin broke on. Trains ran well despite the 55° after the heaters ran for 6 hours.
Here is a shot of yesterday's photo, taken from the opposite direction.

IMG_0087.JPG

Another shot "down the line".
IMG_3342.JPG

A couple more random shots.
10-04-20 005.JPG
10-04-20 008.JPG

Tom O - You posted about the Girl Scout and PayPal. At the recent train show in Dallas, there was a cookie sales table set up inside and they accepted credit cards. I believe that it was because Dad had brought his own portable reader to the show and was there with her.
Mike (Old 97) - That gentleman has already been rescued. That picture is an old one, while the two of the train running were more recent.

Everybody have a great day.

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those who can do maths without sweating up a storm...

It's Maths challenged Troy again...

Today in NE Indiana will be sunny with highs in the low 40s F degrees.

Maths?

Yep... still trying to dial in the upscale printing percentage for my Panzer IV Aus G...

On the far right is an Italeri Panzer III hull. (it's painted)

to the far left is the first one I printed of the Panzer IV G. In real life there should be about a foot difference in hull length (1:1 scale). these are 1:56 scale.
430476976_7286832641383847_5132042932056365023_n.jpg

So I tried mathing... and printed second from left at 150%... oops...

More mathing and used the "measure" tool in the 3D printer slicer program... Next one is 130%... yeah... that's more than a foot difference in scale.

I'll be printing at 125% next...

Good Morning!

I get this simple vision, a dream, of me laying facedown in a forest snowbank, having suffered the end of old-age. My dog is sitting beside me howling into the stars.
If I gotta grow old and go, that's the way I would like it to be. At least, I'd be able to say I never gave up. I'm only 68 come morning, but, I still walk that dam dog up and down forested hills, through the snows, twice a day. My mind is made up, that I will never pack things up. I'll leave that for my sons.

Anyway, little by little, the station moves forward. I do not have the ability to make elaborate eave stanchions like those found on the real depots. It's necessary to settle for the best I can do.
View attachment 182668

I'm trimming out most of the balsa-wood building with hardwood stir-stick material. This needs to survive grandchild play, and balsa is not really stable. Hoping the hardwood helps. - The building does seem strong enough.
View attachment 182670

There should be paint on all the trim work by tonight. Then I'm hoping to get roofing very soon. Hopefully, it looks like a train station by Sunday.

Have a wonderful day, and stop talking about giving-up. Once that starts, we die!
That’s going to be a great looking model.

Good morning from chilled So. Central Wisconsin. It just moved to 19f degrees with the wind chill at +8. Low 40’s for the high today with winds gusting into the high 30’s. Much nicer and less windy than yesterday was.

Terrible planning on my part has resulted in a big slow down on the weathering projects. Again finding Tamiya Xf86 flat clear and Army Painter mat clear Air at my local and online dealers is hard. Amazon and EBay both have it available but at least triple what I normally pay when they add taxes and shipping. I can mix paint colors but have never discovered a workable homemade concoction for mat clear finishes. The ScaleTrain reefers I am working on use a lot more product at 82’ then the normal 50’ and 60’ cars I have been working on. While I have a good sized spray booth I personally cannot handle any of the fumes created by the spray can clear finishes and I also wear a respirator. Never used to be an issue but it is now…

Today I will work on using up my burnt umber on the Rapido centerbeam cars. I really do enjoy doing Centerbeam cars. While the Rapido cars I have to do are very nice cars, IMO they are not worth the extra $15 each over the Atlas center partition cars I have done for others and myself.

enjoy the day

Good Morning!

-2F and it's snowing again. Gonna be one of those shovel hugging days.

That’s going to be a great looking model.
Thank you, TomO! It's coming along. The roofers have started their work, but, it seems like they are slow going:
3rdClass_02-29-2024 (1).JPG

My wife went out of her way to get me this wonderful kit:
Kit2_02-29-2024.JPG

I feel fairly sure that Willie would have built this kit before, and knows if it builds-up ok.
Believe I'm going to take a wire brush to the plastic, and try my best to make those plastic slab sides look more like wood.

Troy - I got lost as soon as you said the words 'maths'. I just use the 'that looks about right' system.
David - Sorry the wife is sick. Maybe the G-kid visit will cheer her up.

Sky is looking at me weird. Suppose she knows it's walk time.
Have a great day!

What happened to no weathering on Thursday? Or was it just Tuesday only?;)
Tuesday and Thursday are my no weathering days. I didn’t realize until I was heading to the bench a few minutes ago today is Thursday. Terry said why aren’t you ready to go? Thursday is our breakfast/brunch out day.

Because we are heading towards Milwaukee for brunch I maybe able to squeeze a stop in at Hiawatha Hobbies

Now of course I am waiting for her to get ready

Around 28 year ago I gave my wife gold earrings for Christmas 3 different times. Looking through all her jewelry boxes I can't tell the difference between the fake gold ones and the real ones. She will not be wearing them anymore, so I guess I'll sell them. They cost about $300.00 a pair back then I'm not sure what they're worth now?
Swal

Around 28 year ago I gave my wife gold earrings for Christmas 3 different times. Looking through all her jewelry boxes I can't tell the difference between the fake gold ones and the real ones. She will not be wearing them anymore, so I guess I'll sell them. They cost about $300.00 a pair back then I'm not sure what they're worth now?
Swal

Swal. Remember the good times. They far outweigh the bad. The ups and downs are the challenges we learn. When down there is only one way to go. You will get through it all and wonder how, but you will. Remain positive.

Give us a wave as you pass us on the way up. :):cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back