Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to know more about this savage of beauty. :)
That would likely put you into deep slumber. The short version is it was a local welding shop's Jeep when I bought it in 1972 and had 26k on the odometer. Other than the very well designed but heavy shop built snowplow, it was completely stock, albeit with the typical beat up, rusted out sheet metal. I drove it "as is" for a year and a half before burning up the 2-3 exhaust valves trying to pull the smallest U Haul trailer 600 miles. Thence down the slippery modification slope it went. V 2.0 was the installation of a small block Chevy (sbc) 327 with the rest remaining completely stock. That only lasted a couple of years before the 1962 4" block developed a crack in the bottom of #5-not an uncommon occurance with those blocks. Then the slope steepened considerably with a frame off from which it emerged as V 3.0 with fiberglass tub and fenders, 1970 LT1 350, slightly detuned, Muncie M20, boxed frame, full floated 19 spline rear Dana 44, and numerous other changes. That engine, with the 5.38 gearing, was an awesome drag racer but didn't work all that well on the trail. About 1981, I put together V 4.0 with a 381 sbc I built from all GM parts. That version soldiered on for the next 3 1/2 decades with several updates along the way and ended in 2014 with a thoroughly blown up front axle. I was already gathering parts for the replacement engine before that event but initially I was just going to replace the axle. That did happen, but along with the front axle, the rear was also changed along with all the brakes, steering, suspension, and engine: V 5.0. As it currently sits, somewhat robust Dana 44's are on both ends, both with ARB's, Yukon gears, Dutchman chrome moly axles-the front with Reid 8 stud knuckles, and the rear with custom large bore 4340 full float spindles. The springs remain leafs but are the long travel Holbrook versions on custom hangers and it sports Bilstein remote reservoir shocks. Four wheel disc brakes with 3.1" pistons up front, 2.5" in the rear. Corvette C3 steering with axle mounted PSC hydraulic assist cylinder. The engine remains a nominal sbc but the only GM parts are those original 1970 LT 1 valve covers. It sports a Dart aluminum version of the GM rocket block and is perfectly square: 4.125" x 4.125" bore and stroke. I put this together strictly for developing a substantial amount of low end torque. The transmission is Auto Gear Equipment's wide ratio version of the M22, backed by McLeod's twin disk clutch and a "super" Dana 18 transfercase with TeraLow gearing. V 5.0 still has the aluminum hood I fabricated for V 4.something with the addition of an Aqualu aluminum grill. Maybe contrary to the looks, this remains primarily a trail Jeep for relatively challenging trail. It has on-board air and welder and a modified Warn 8274 winch.

As received:
16074478863_9281277953_b.jpg

V 3.0
9773588352_6eb10931f8_b.jpg

16184312513_53f748707c_b.jpg

V 5.0 engine
49640512713_d897ee699b_b.jpg

V 5.0
51767541893_2e3e905f91_b.jpg

Bored yet?????

Good morning All!!!!
Flo, could you please get me the "Mystery Bagel"?
It's number 9 in the Breakfast Mystery Section.
Says here that it's an unknown bagel, may or may not be toasted.
Nobody knows if it comes with butter or cream cheese.
No choice for additional options.
Unknown presentation? May come in wax paper, on a plate or in a brown sack?
Sidebar mentions these mystery bagels could have possibly been on the floor. o_O 🤔
Okay. I better get two.
What are the odds I won't like either one??
A customer may have returned, Flo may have spat on it because the customer was rude, I am fairly sure IF that was the case you would treasure it :p

That would likely put you into deep slumber. The short version is it was a local welding shop's Jeep when I bought it in 1972 and had 26k on the odometer. Other than the very well designed but heavy shop built snowplow, it was completely stock, albeit with the typical beat up, rusted out sheet metal. I drove it "as is" for a year and a half before burning up the 2-3 exhaust valves trying to pull the smallest U Haul trailer 600 miles. Thence down the slippery modification slope it went. V 2.0 was the installation of a small block Chevy (sbc) 327 with the rest remaining completely stock. That only lasted a couple of years before the 1962 4" block developed a crack in the bottom of #5-not an uncommon occurance with those blocks. Then the slope steepened considerably with a frame off from which it emerged as V 3.0 with fiberglass tub and fenders, 1970 LT1 350, slightly detuned, Muncie M20, boxed frame, full floated 19 spline rear Dana 44, and numerous other changes. That engine, with the 5.38 gearing, was an awesome drag racer but didn't work all that well on the trail. About 1981, I put together V 4.0 with a 381 sbc I built from all GM parts. That version soldiered on for the next 3 1/2 decades with several updates along the way and ended in 2014 with a thoroughly blown up front axle. I was already gathering parts for the replacement engine before that event but initially I was just going to replace the axle. That did happen, but along with the front axle, the rear was also changed along with all the brakes, steering, suspension, and engine: V 5.0. As it currently sits, somewhat robust Dana 44's are on both ends, both with ARB's, Yukon gears, Dutchman chrome moly axles-the front with Reid 8 stud knuckles, and the rear with custom large bore 4340 full float spindles. The springs remain leafs but are the long travel Holbrook versions on custom hangers and it sports Bilstein remote reservoir shocks. Four wheel disc brakes with 3.1" pistons up front, 2.5" in the rear. Corvette C3 steering with axle mounted PSC hydraulic assist cylinder. The engine remains a nominal sbc but the only GM parts are those original 1970 LT 1 valve covers. It sports a Dart aluminum version of the GM rocket block and is perfectly square: 4.125" x 4.125" bore and stroke. I put this together strictly for developing a substantial amount of low end torque. The transmission is Auto Gear Equipment's wide ratio version of the M22, backed by McLeod's twin disk clutch and a "super" Dana 18 transfercase with TeraLow gearing. V 5.0 still has the aluminum hood I fabricated for V 4.something with the addition of an Aqualu aluminum grill. Maybe contrary to the looks, this remains primarily a trail Jeep for relatively challenging trail. It has on-board air and welder and a modified Warn 8274 winch.

As received:
16074478863_9281277953_b.jpg

V 3.0
9773588352_6eb10931f8_b.jpg

16184312513_53f748707c_b.jpg

V 5.0 engine
49640512713_d897ee699b_b.jpg

V 5.0
51767541893_2e3e905f91_b.jpg

Bored yet?????
Bring it on

Morning folks,

Sunshine and almost 50F as winter takes another short hiatus. I started donating time to Uncle Sam yesterday putting together the #**!$*#$$ income tax package together. Hopefully finish that task this afternoon. My least favorite job of the year, at least since the last time I had to shovel the chicken $hit out of said chicken house sometime in the early 60's.

That reminds me of one of our local Army National Guard cooks, circa 1969, that would spice the mashed potatoes with a little used chew-----just in time for your lunch.
Oh gross, I do not do restaurants, a friend worked as a waitress and it grossed her out
never complain and send you food to be ‘improved’
food returned might be washed if not eaten and put on somebody else’s plate
people picking their nose and continue process food without washing their hands

whilst as college I worked in bars, one was ok but wandering hands were a pain, so when ever possible stay behind bar, digging your heel on patrons feet then grinding little 👠 heels are apparantly frowned on

a pub I lasted 2 days, then left, yuck, people laid for cocktails and we were advised to rep,ace alcohol with totally gross crystallised / sugar, blue alcohol was never alcohol, and ,ate on when some had a drink or two the bar bloke would rub alcohol around the rim but if duplicate drinks he shared a single tot between, I saw him remove bottles half empty the likes of gin and vodka replace with water, he would poor the real booze in a bottle which I think went home with him,
and wine, he would top up part used expensive wine that had sold by the glass with cheap and take it out to customers supposedly opening as he approached the customer offering the cork with a flourish, rip off yuck.

I remember yelling my dad, and went we went out with family to a restaurant a wine waiter did a,most exactly the same flourish style approaching the table, even though we were drinking cheap ish German wine my dad said no, you open the bottle ~here. we had our meals, and a quick reminder made him decide to avoid the dessert and just eat the meal in front of us.

Restaurants, nope, and bars I buy something unusual that can’t be messed with, and preferably in an individual bottle, when in doubt a juice, and collect from bar myself. and really no ice not EVER! Gross, gross gross!

So if I just ruined anyone’s appetite.

FYI when going out nowadays I usually have packet pistachios, jer k y, home made food, or tinned, and own drinks.
Barring I admit to fish and chips, I get fresh fish, wait and defy anyone to do much harm with boiling fat, or at least the boiling fat neutralises any grungy issues.

I did used to eat kebabs and burgers, but when I found McDonald’s et al stop their milkshakes when the inside gets so black they have no choice to clean it out, and it is not available that just so of grossed me out.

Oh one time behind bar I was asked to walk a tray Of cocktails (not cheap) out to a party in the main room, as I was bending over reaching across with the first drink, some stupid tart could not resist my pvc leather look trousers, the whole tray jumped a foot as did I, luckily a boss saw what happened, and told the main bar guy, NOT a good idea to send good looking female staff out when the crowd is so rowdy. I think I dropped like 8 cocktails plus knocked over or contaminated several beers.

On the good side when the ~guiness tap when awol, I was able to stand and ‘pull’ several pints while someone ran down and turned the tap off.Luckily for one old friendly regular dodger he was our only Guiness drinker, and the bar just said go for it. He drank a bunch, and one of the staff dropped him off home as he was pretty much legless by the end of the night, lol.

edit..and just wipe down my trousers and high heeled boots

Afternoon all,

Have a vendor who connects to our network that quit working on the last firewall update. Been looking into why as time permits. I tripped upon the fix this morning looking at something else inside the firewall....In order to connect to the particular subnet, it has to be allowed in 4 places. Missing 1 blocks it in all.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day in the low 60's and in the high 70's now. After animal chores I went to the train room and installed "glass" in the windows and painted the freight doors. I called the mechanic around 11 am and found out that they couldn't find any electrical issues, so we picked the van up and there was no charge for their time! Went to the dentist and as the pain killer wears off my mouth is getting sore.

Guilford- Interesting photos.

Mac- Cute kitty.

Smudge- I'm fluent in sailor!

David- Best wishes for Dawn and hope you had a good time with your grandson.

Grizzled- That is a very well-maintained looking engine.

Bill- That station looks like the prototype of several station kits.

Willie- Nice layout shots.

Possum- Any MRR'ing is good MRR'ing.

I hope everyone has a good night,

I called the mechanic around 11 am and found out that they couldn't find any electrical issues, so we picked the van up and there was no charge for their time!
I'm glad to hear that you have an "old school" mechanic! That used to be the norm, now it is the exception to the rule.

Went to the dentist and as the pain killer wears off my mouth is getting sore.
I've been thinking of you. How many more trips to the dentist before it is finished?

You can alternate acetaminophen and Ibuprofen to keep some pain medication in your system. If it is okay with your dentist, that is.

I hope you feel better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back