Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from me. One of those mornings where I had to think about where I was. I’m home in Wisconsin and nope no alcohol at brunch or late dinner yesterday. Wisconsin is warming 43f now and 65 later. It never left the low 50’s yesterday.

I have never been a fan of passenger trains on layouts beyond commuter operations. But damn Alan that train and especially that dome car is gorgeous. I am going to have to come over during Trainfest if you run can that during the club’s open house!

The UW Badger Women did exactly what a superior hockey or any team should do to a weaker opponent, spank them hard! I am thinking dependent on weather with Terry gone next weekend a trip over to St. Cloud, Minnesota to watch them play. They are much faster then the 2 NCAA Championship teams of 2019 and 2021 and would have won IMO 2020 when Covid cancelled the NCAA finals as they were heading to the plane. They are much much faster then the 2021-2022 team last season that was ravaged by missing 7 members of either the Canadian or USA Olympic teams. Goalie maybe an issue this year, when tested they both have looked shaky. I know where the hobby shop in St. Paul is but Steve or Dave are there any decent shops in the St Cloud area?

This is a Badger on Ice! This Bucky can skate well, we have seen a few that should not lace up the skates. This is maybe 30 minutes before the game, the arena for the season is a sell out at 2800+. They will play one game this season next door at the Kohl Center and have 15,000+ there.
AFF9982E-2E52-4321-83EC-42153E6C7455.jpeg

The coach and my doc’s hubby are coming over at 9 to help me photograph the layout as I mentioned the other day. Coach will just comment on the game that he was happy with the efforts of the team last night. We will not be watching the Packers play the Giants in London starting ing 20 minutes. Terry thinks the 3 of us are nuts

enjoy the day

This is what you can build when you own a fair-sized chunk of a mountainside in the Blackbutt Ranges to the west of where I live in Queensland Australia. Blackbutt being the name given to a timber that grows there. Or 'How to get to your mountainside house and have fun doing it.'

Last edited:
Ken did you also order crossing gates? I say this because I can't find a Model Railroad store that has Tomar or NJ international crossing gates in stock. I emailed Logic Rail a few days ago about their bell circuit board and will it work with their older green crossing gate boards. I found out it doesn't. So now that I know this, I'm ready to order everything I need from them and order the bell from someone else. I went to the eye doctor yesterday and he said give it another few days before you start moving around under the layout. So by that time my order from Logic Rail will be here and I'll be ready to install it all. I hope they have crossing gates in stock. I need one more set. If you want to wait another 10 days I'll have it all installed by then and you can see what you need to do.
George
No, I've had gates and crossbuck lights already. The only link to the gate is the actuation wire to lower and raise the gate. The crossbucks have standard LEDs in them which can be pried out and replaced if needed.

Good Morning!

I'm hearing we are in a class 5 drought around here, which is as bad as it gets in the classification system being used. The farmers are complaining, as they do every year. Anyway, this has been as pleasant a summer as I can remember.
It does seem like there is a-lot of water out there:
Autumn_Shuman_10-08-2022.JPG

This is what you can build when you own a fair-sized chunk of a mountainside in the Black Butt Ranges to the west of where I live in Queensland Australia. Black Butt being the name given to a timber that grows there. Or 'How to get to your mountainside house and have fun doing it.'
Toot - Not a single locomotive shown in the video!! That means they were actually riding a lawn tractor.

I took a photograph of a sign along the tracks, because I don't understand it. I wonder if the 103.93 is a mile or meter marker, or a radio station?
I leaning to the fact it might be a meter marker. Sounds about right to where the highway crossing is.
Sign_10-08-2022.JPG

We had fun on the Osceola and St. Croix Valley train run yesterday!
SteveJ - Considering your profession, I suppose I can believe you. Usually though, if there's no photos, it's just another big fish story.

Hope I don't waste today, as I've wasted the last two days. I can blame it on the nice weather or mental health redemption, however, the fact is I've just been lazy and laying around. Perhaps, I can do better today.

Gotta go! Have a great day!

Until you take a class called "The History of the West in film" and see they are just as partisan to the time they were made as anything modern...Hollywood never changes.
I'm very selective as to the western movies and shows I watch.

I'm not a fan of the anti-hero, spaghetti western or others where the good guys don't do the right thing.

For me the means never justify the ends. I know evil can result in good things, but it does not justify being evil in any way.

I tell my grandsons "always do the right thing, regardless of cost or consequence."

I wish I had always done that. I would have fewer regrets. Better late then never.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 55° here in the Red River Valley. Despite the cool cloudy start, we're expecting a high of 82° today, after an unexpectedly cool high of 70° yesterday. The rain stayed north in Oklahoma all day. Too bad as we really need it.
I got a lot of yardwork done with that cooler day, and I expect to get more done today after church.

I read about our government is buying a bunch of radiation pills. Kind of a paranoid move in my opinion. Maybe we should check to see if Paul Pelosi bought stock in Amgen last week?

Many thanks for the likes posted yesterday for the progress on the Gemini Building; Christian, Tom O, James, Hughie, Smudge, Patrick, Tom, John, Mikey, Louis, Jaz, Rick, Steve J, Guy.

I did some minor stuff out in the train shed yesterday, but I mostly ran some trains which I hadn't done since Monday or Tuesday.
I found a suitable figure for behind the counter at Sparky's, he's one of those slightly tall Chinese figures that one of my kids gave me for Christmas a few years ago.
IMG_2139.JPG

My next project is not going to be a real project, but a series of "catch-up" projects to finish off some previously started ones.
Like this.
IMG_2129.JPG

I needed to add figures here.
So we have a man waiting to open the door to the drugstore for a pregnant lady and her daughter. Sorry for the efuzziness.
IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2142.JPG

I finished up some trees for a couple more small areas.
IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

Today I am looking for appropriate figures and vehicles for this structure.
IMG_2130.JPG

I have several dozen of these smallish projects in mind for the next few weeks.

Alan - Lucky you on the furnace repair. I used the A/C last week and will probably have to use it some more later this week.
Nice photos of the club layout. Thanks for the link.
Tom O - Other than it probably being too big, your house and land has always sounded ideal to me. Off the grid, plenty of room acreage-wise for privacy, with plenty of area for gardens, stable, and woods/trails. Probably too cold for me though. It really must be a tough decision whether or not to sell. Good luck with whatever decision that you/Terry make.
Todd - Looks like I could spend hours and $$$ in Roundhouse Hobbies judging from the pictures.
Steve J - Happy Birthday to your wife.

Several musical birthdays today, singer/composer Jackson Browne is 74. Today would have been John Lennon's 82nd birthday, and his son Sean Lennon is 47 years old today. And sorta music related, Ozzie's wife Sharon Osborne is 70. Louis should know this.

Everybody have a great day.

Toot is back!

Haven't seen him in here for a while. Hope the walkabout was a good one.

Flo, get him a Bundies on me!

I'm now eleven days past my first symptoms (counting that day as Zero/Naught). So according to the CDC guidelines for someone with mild symptoms, I'm released from all restrictions. I haven't had symptoms since Wed, so I should be past any of the contagious parts.

Wife is taking me out the tex-midwest-mex place for a bowl of queso dip and a burrito.

that's it for now. I hear a burrito calling me.

Ken of the D&J, first off, congratulations on your new club membership!

I just got a call from my youngest grandson that made me think of something you said earlier in the week.

"The bank of dad".

I think of it as more like a non-profit. Come to think of it, I should acquire the website, pop.org

My kids no longer are recipients of "grants", but my grandsons have picked up some of the slack.

My grandson called to say hello. He did not come to visit this weekend because he had a cold and did not want my wife and I to get sick. He normally spends every weekend with us. He is thoughtful young man.
He also mentioned his report card. He got all A and one B+. He went on to tell me about a game he has been playing through the Xbox ultimate game pass (I pay for) he played the free part but to continue he needed to buy the other 3 seasons. The good news is the cost was $99 and now it is only $59! I told him to go ahead and use my PayPal to buy it as a reward for another great report card.

I'm never disappointed because I don't look for any return on my investments.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 55° here in the Red River Valley. Despite the cool cloudy start, we're expecting a high of 82° today, after an unexpectedly cool high of 70° yesterday. The rain stayed north in Oklahoma all day. Too bad as we really need it.
I got a lot of yardwork done with that cooler day, and I expect to get more done today after church.

I read about our government is buying a bunch of radiation pills. Kind of a paranoid move in my opinion. Maybe we should check to see if Paul Pelosi bought stock in Amgen last week?

Many thanks for the likes posted yesterday for the progress on the Gemini Building; Christian, Tom O, James, Hughie, Smudge, Patrick, Tom, John, Mikey, Louis, Jaz, Rick, Steve J, Guy.

I did some minor stuff out in the train shed yesterday, but I mostly ran some trains which I hadn't done since Monday or Tuesday.
I found a suitable figure for behind the counter at Sparky's, he's one of those slightly tall Chinese figures that one of my kids gave me for Christmas a few years ago.
View attachment 153255
My next project is not going to be a real project, but a series of "catch-up" projects to finish off some previously started ones.
Like this.
View attachment 153256
I needed to add figures here.
So we have a man waiting to open the door to the drugstore for a pregnant lady and her daughter. Sorry for the efuzziness.
View attachment 153257
View attachment 153258
I finished up some trees for a couple more small areas.
View attachment 153259
View attachment 153260
Today I am looking for appropriate figures and vehicles for this structure.
View attachment 153261
I have several dozen of these smallish projects in mind for the next few weeks.

Alan - Lucky you on the furnace repair. I used the A/C last week and will probably have to use it some more later this week.
Nice photos of the club layout. Thanks for the link.
Tom O - Other than it probably being too big, your house and land has always sounded ideal to me. Off the grid, plenty of room acreage-wise for privacy, with plenty of area for gardens, stable, and woods/trails. Probably too cold for me though. It really must be a tough decision whether or not to sell. Good luck with whatever decision that you/Terry make.
Todd - Looks like I could spend hours and $$$ in Roundhouse Hobbies judging from the pictures.
Steve J - Happy Birthday to your wife.

Several musical birthdays today, singer/composer Jackson Browne is 74. Today would have been John Lennon's 82nd birthday, and his son Sean Lennon is 47 years old today. And sorta music related, Ozzie's wife Sharon Osborne is 70. Louis should know this.

Everybody have a great day.
Willie, you’d like it here except for Winter.

The property is nice. While I was in the hospital in 2015 Terry purchased what she thought was a farmhouse and 850 acres in Bankruptcy Court. The Courts had it because the previous owner was jailed in 2011 for embezzlement and there really was no effort made to sell it. Turned out after the surveying for fencing there was actually 1050 acres of which 300+ was tillable and being used by a rent some land farmer who made no payments to the courts. That was fun to end that! Long story short there is a bit of everything on the property, tunnels under county highways for animals to move about, lots of trees, a barn, a new stable, greenhouses and a property keepers house, since torn down.

This house was a mistake, I went overboard in designing it. Too big at 4200 sq feet on 2.5 levels and buried too deeply into a hill. It can get claustrophobic which is why the daughter and SIL sold it back to us. 1 north facing entrance with only windows on the southside. 12 miles from the State of Wisconsin’s Capital building makes it a desirable but the 1000 sq ft just of deck oversized pool enclosure hinders buyers.

Last edited:
Ozzie's wife Sharon Osborne is 70. Louis should know this.
I had no idea. I still wonder why he married that b, person. From what I understand she is the reason Bill Ward did not play on the album "13", greedy witch! Not to mention the remastered album, Blizzard of Oz and the deal to take over Black Sabbath.
Hey, I got an idea, why not get somebody to repaint the Monalisa!? Then we can keep all the profits!

I should mention this about pop.org

My son buys me all kinds of gadgets and gizmos. He buys anything he thinks I might like. Computers, Laptops, Tablets, 75" TV, Camera, Video Recorder, Tools and more. I can't even remember all the stuff he has given me. I have not used half of it yet!
His education has paid off. He is now an engineer with Northrop Grumman.

My daughters are making good livings, but not the money my son does. He and his wife can't have kids. He will someday take over pop.org My son is a generous, loving family man.

The best return on my investments is I don't have to worry about my kids financially.

Ps I don't own pop.org it's just a ... I want to say metaphor, but that is not right, what would you call it Troy?

Last edited:
I have never been a fan of passenger trains on layouts beyond commuter operations. But damn Alan that train and especially that dome car is gorgeous. I am going to have to come over during Trainfest if you run can that during the club’s open house!
Aw Gee Tom! I'll be running my Lark, as I had several requests for it, but I may be able to wangle a display track in one of the staging yards so you can at least see it! Unfortunately you wouldn't get to see it run. We are forbidden from using the access bridge from the staging yards to the layout during open house. Too many people present!

Last post before I put down the laptop, put my feet up and enjoy the ball games!

I made meatballs and sauce for meatball subs. I bought bakery fresh steak/sausage rolls, Johnsonville homestyle meatballs, Kraft Provolone cheese and DelGrosso pepperoni flavored pasta sauce. DelGrosso is my favorite brand of pasta sauce.

Sorry Willie, I have not had the pleasure of tasting your homemade sauce. Although I'm betting it is good!

I should have bought Land o Lakes provolone cheese. Land o Lakes is always best.

I did think of you Patrick when I bought the provolone. I like that best on meatball subs.

I went a little wild with trying the pepperoni flavored sauce, but I am not at all disapointed.

I have enough to make a dozen subs if anybody is hungry. I will hopefully eat two and my wife will not eat any. I always make too much, good thing I like leftovers!

Enjoy the ball games Everybody or however you spend your day.

God Bless Us Everyone.

Good noonish all,

Not yet been back into the garden spot, as I had the laundry to catch up on, some shopping that I forgot to get yesterday and then a couple of things the local daughter needed done that I promised her I'd get done before the painter gets there to paint the new siding.

Figured I do the daughter's stuff early as I'm starting to feel the work I've been doing the past couple of days.

Louis: Gotta love the provolone!!!!

Aw Gee Tom! I'll be running my Lark, as I had several requests for it, but I may be able to wangle a display track in one of the staging yards so you can at least see it! Unfortunately you wouldn't get to see it run. We are forbidden from using the access bridge from the staging yards to the layout during open house. Too many people present!
That fine, I will look up the Lark.

Rules are rules

Afternoon All,

Started with chores as usual then messed with Acorn TV that I am still having issues with (numerous emails back and forth) then headed to the train room. I figured out where I'm going to put the LRT grade crossing at (inspired by George and Ken). I put vinyl tube protectors on the fascia in the spots that I hit my elbows on. Yesterday I put up a plexiglass shield on the fascia side of the signal tower. Speaking of yesterday I lost my post in the ether when I completed it, and I wasn't going to retype it. Guess what showed up on my forum feed today?

James/Alan- The superdome looks great.

Mikey- You have been a busy boy! Nice looking loads. I hope your wife is doing better after surgery.

Steve- Sounds like a great day. Happy 🎂 Birthday.

Alan- Great job on the interior. I like what you did with the dome glass.

Willie- Great modeling.

Troy- Congrats on being clear and enjoy your burrito. How did your friend and family make out staying in FL after the conference?

Louis- It sounds like your grandson is doing well.

layout173.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

We are done with photographing the layout! 711 pictures of the tree tunnel/alley, papermill and the unnamed space between the north end of the Papermill and the 20’ to the PMY lead.

Watched just of bit of the prima donna QB for Green Bay in their losing effort.

Coach brought one of his players to take what were to be his pictures but he became the light man for her. The other friend thought that was a great idea and became my light man. Thinking back, the three of us may have had taken more pictures but with 2 extra fill lights going we got better pictures, I hope.

The last 7 cars on the programming track before put into their boxes for their owner ( 4 for James, 2 stay with me and I sold the gondola) or new owners. I had a spurt over night and sold 5 cars of which 3 weren’t even listed for sale when I posted the gondola. I love when a buyer says, do you have anything else?

Why yes but what r u looking for? I have more gons, yes they have with loads!

2304E280-F6A2-4A56-99D7-65E39CF7670F.jpeg

So I have more then 1 hour on the layout today. That’s my goal for October, 1 hour daily just working on the layout. No trains running just working. The rest of the day will be at the weathering bench or some NFL football. I see 2 NHL hockey games tonight on TV. I may try to make a few loads of rebar. But, the main thing during the NHL games tonight is to cut the wires to size for trees.

I just finished the other 1/2 of yesterdays huge bunch. Then some TV football to relax with the sound off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back