Question about purchasing used track

It's the humidity that causes problems with the wood expanding and contracting, thus causing the rail fastened to it to have issues. Heat to a lesser extent. I am about 65 miles north of Discount Model Railroads and humidity usually isn't an issue in this part of Texas. An occasional deluge while raising the humidity briefly, normally does not affect the wood unless the humidity is over 90% for an extended period of time.
After reading some of the comments in this thread, I believe some have misunderstood the 30x150 in your opening post. That's inches if I recall correctly from your introductory thread. That's still a nice size.

And concerning mixing track.
The one common denominator is the distance between the rails, inside dimension.
NMRA Standard - Minimum .649", Maximum .672"

You can mix code 83 and code 100 by shimming the 83 with small metal strips underneath the rail when sliding on the rail joiner. Or , file down the top of the code 100 rail, with a fine file and sandpaper. I have both 83 and 100 on my layout. Now different brands will need more 'modeling' to achieve good alignment.

With only 30x50 inches, how do you expect to lay out an HO railroad of any practicality?

15" radius curves won't even fit a half-circle in only 30" of space.

And 15" radius will severely limit what can be run on it...

Back