Recent content by dstern350

1. D

Atlas Under Table Switch Motors

I inherited a box of Atlas under the table switches. The post only seems to be about an inch long and my layout uses 2inch foam on top of 1/4inch plywood. Has anyone ever extended these things or buried them in foam?
  2. D

DSD's Layout Progress Thread

What grade did you use to drop down below and how long is the bottom length? I would like to do the same thing but I dont know if I have the distance.
  3. D

Two level station

I meant freight as items that would be unloaded at an urban terminal to be distributed by trucks to stores and such. I would think that the heavier trains would need to be below.
  4. D

Two level station

I am looking for some real world terminals similar to Jamaica Station in Queens NY where the trains platform above the street and there is another whole level below for subways. I would like to base a terminal on something that maybe has freight on one level and passengers below. Is anyone...
  5. D

Ideas for wall surround

I am new to HO and modelling. My space is width-limited and I am looking at running a 2foot wide table around the room in a "J" shape - 14' straight, right turn, 8' straight, right turn, 4' straight. At the top of the 14' I can envision a thinner run, maybe another 4' to stage trains. I like...
  6. D

Maintenance Cars

Thanks for heads up. I am really surprised that these arent more common.
  7. D

Maintenance Cars

I am looking for a set of maintenance / construction cars. I see the real life versions of them all of the time replacing old ties and track. I havent had much luck finding HO versions. Has anyone seen any? Thanks
  8. D

Access to lower level

Ok so using that example, I need to drop 4inches over the course of 11feet and I can do that in any path that gets me there. Thanks.
  9. D

Height for bi-level with helix

fcwilt , I am still fairly novice- I have seen track plans that drop trains to a lower level using something like long L-shaped curve that grades down, instead of helix. That is what I was referring to. Thanks.
  10. D

medium size helix (30"-36" radius) questions

Have you seen any pictures of the bolt setup that you describe? Thanks
  11. D

Height for bi-level with helix

I am trying to build something similar. Did you need full helix to drop from the top level to the bottom? Can you post a drawing or a picture to help me get started? Thanks
  12. D

Access to lower level

I actually have a clean slate on this one. It is a a 4x8 table that will sit next to an existing table. The main line will run from the top of the other table across to this new one and then down one of the long sides. I am thinking about having that side laid out as a mountain. My idea is that...
  13. D

Access to lower level

I am working on a new layout where I want inbound and outbound trains to be able to run through a "portal" and end up below the main level of the table - I have little space outside of my 4x8. I have never worked much with grading. Is there a standard way to build a ramp from one level to the...
  14. D

Engine Not Responding

What is the best material to clean with? Alcohol or something else? Thanks
  15. D

Bachmann DC Engine Burning Smell

Thats great info. I have removed the assembly from the body. Do I need to remove the plastic shell from around the motor or just use the pipecleaner to get into the openings? Thanks.

Back