Bachmann DC Engine Burning Smell

dstern350

I inherited an old Bachmann DC diesel that I cleaned up and lubricated. It runs fine, but the engine gets a bit hot and it gives off a burning smell. This doesnt seem normal. How do I troubleshoot this one?

If it is running hot, there must be something binding which is overloading the motor. Alternatively, a wire may be rubbing against something. I'd take the body off and see if you can see any smoke or melting wires. You may need to disconnect the drive train from one truck and possibly disassemble one truck at a time and see if the wheels and gears move freely. If so, then reassemble and do the same with the other truck. If you still have problem with the motor, you may need to disconnect both trucks and see if the motor turns freely.

This is probably one of the old pancake motors, and isn't 8 wheel drive. Chances are the motor may have, due to its age, loss some of the power of the magnet. A weak magnet coupled with some oil on the armature/commutator, can cause the motor to run hot, with the oil giving off the smell.

If you can disassemble the motor truck from the body, take a pipe cleaner and with it wet with alcohol, clean off the commutator, and around the brushes. Let the alcohol evaporate, and then test again. It can be just dirt on this and the brushes.

Thats great info. I have removed the assembly from the body. Do I need to remove the plastic shell from around the motor or just use the pipecleaner to get into the openings?
Thanks.

Just use the pipe cleaner and stick it into the openings around the front of the motor, where the gear is located. If this has sentimental value, as in it means something more than its actual worth, you can always clip the wires to the motor, remove the gear located there and remove the gears on the inside of the truck, and turn it into a dummy.

I have several locos that I've done that to over the years, including an old Varney F-3 that was on 5 of my 8 layouts until the frame broke from "The Disease". I really do think that I have the trucks to it still.

Back