Maintenance Cars

dstern350

I am looking for a set of maintenance / construction cars. I see the real life versions of them all of the time replacing old ties and track. I havent had much luck finding HO versions. Has anyone seen any?

Thanks

They are out there. Tampers, ballast regulators, tie cranes, spike pullers, tie shears and others. They are mostly in kit form. Bachmann sells a tamper that's misidentified as a ballast regulator. That is a place to start. I bought a used Bachmann tamper to park on a siding with the rest of the yellow stuff and was suprised that it actually ran good.

Thanks for heads up. I am really surprised that these arent more common.

Most work cars are rebuilt from older retired freight and/or passenger equipment, and very rare that any two are the same in all details, especially across different railways.

I think this is exactly what you are looking for. I found them at Dallasmodelworks: the Nordburg Hydra Hammer, also the Hammer Tamper Track Alignment with buggy.

I searched under Rolling Stock and by Road (Alphabetized), they were on the last page under "unlettered". If I knew how to use the computer better, i could have done the link thing.

There is also one made here in Minnesota, comes as a kit you assemble, but I couldn't remember the name. I have a paper catalog at home, and I can look it it up and report back tomorrow.

logandsawman

Thanks for the link! I really like cars etc. that look like they were built for a purpose, repurposed and put on wheels!

Back