Recent content by cmcgloughlin

1. C

Hi Folks, from the Sharpnack LTD

Hi everyone, My name is Charlie and I have a model railroad I call "The Sharpnack Limited". Its set in the (made-up) western PA town of Sharpnack, with a touch of Harper's Ferry scenery mixed in, focusing on an evening scene with lots of lights and twilight sky effects. I run O gauge, On30...
  2. C

0-6-0 Mantua Classics Yard Goat - running choppy

in addition Loosening that screw, putting a very slight wedge under the motor, and lubing it, improved performance 200%. Has a nice crawl at slow speeds now. Excellent suggestions everyone.
  3. C

0-6-0 Mantua Classics Yard Goat - running choppy

Sorry took me a day or two to respond. I did put in the 9 pin decoder... I dont have the part number readily available, but I will say it was not Digitrax and it was way too big (1 1/2" long!). Right now the tender is actually riding up 1/8" because I cant get it down any further. Bummed...
  4. C

DCC - Do I need two auto-reversers or only one?

thanks! the link helps; i will study and get back
  5. C

Thanks for the response, but problem is: those exact locations are bachmann crossover pieces that have an electrified frog for my smalller wheelbase engine. I cant isolate there as there is nowhere to put the joiners, its all one piece. I will check out the link. I had thought moving to...
  6. C

See attached. In this DCC layout, I think I have the location of the insulation joiners correct (correct me if i am wrong) but Im not sure 1) if i have autoreverser in right spot and 2) if I need 2. Thoughts please! Thanks! Charlie
  7. C

HO Bachmann 2-8-0 Question: Explorer vs. Ala carte

Hi, Quick and probably easy question, but I cant seem to get the info online. Does anyone know if the 2-8-0 that comes in the Explorer set: http://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Spectrum-Explorer-Scale-Santa/dp/B000BKVQ4S is the same 2-8-0 that can be purchased ala carte...
  8. C

Not your average 4x8

that is funny! Great shot
  9. C

Strasburg vs. Real Short Lines

Thanks everyone, this has been a really interesting group of responses. This is making me actually think of modeling the Strasburg... or a reasonable facsimile. @ Strasburg Nut. I like the "ghost train".... thats going to be in my layout ...
  10. C

Forced Persepective - N and HO

I just tried a mockup last night and I think Im onto a winner here, this should work. The key is: View the N scale from below . I am going to mount the layout at eye level so that the HO train set in the fore will be seen at eye level, and then N scale will be 8" above that. I am going...
  11. C

Strasburg vs. Real Short Lines

HI everyone Question - I am a beleiver in modeling "what you know." I happen to know a lot about the Strasburg Railroad, a heritage short-line railroad in Lancaster County (many of you I am sure know it). I have been there like 100 times. My question is this. The Strasburg as it...
  12. C

Forced Persepective - N and HO

Hi I am still planning my layout and I am wondering about something: I happen to like both HO and N scales for different reasons. I am thinking of combining the two in a "forced perspective" arrangement where I have the N as the "far off" the HO as the foreground. My strategy right now...
  13. C

Pretty sure I bought the wrong one

Wow I never realized there was so much negative feeling towards smoking engines. To each his own I guess. Anyway, I concur you got a nice loco. Congrats.
  14. C

MTH Ho Trains

I can see both sides here. I tend to be a "newbie" at fixing stuff ...so while I am ready and willing to enter the learning curve, I am a little hesitant to start tinkering with something that cost me $450. I think thats part of the hesitation with me. Perhaps thats the problem with buying...

Back